PDA

View Full Version : 50% off Spring Cleanup

C6H12O6
04-08-2011, 01:22 AM
I just wanted to bounce this off of someone. I'm thinking about fall cleanup marketing.

What do you think about offering 50% off of spring cleanup (or some percentage) if they had me do a fall cleanup? I'm thinking not only would there be less work to do in the spring but it will allow me to be there early in the year to try to get or keep them as a weekly mowing customer.

AMA

coreyod21
04-08-2011, 01:48 AM
With gas prices being so high you might be putting yourself in the hole unless you were charging alot for clean ups prior. What I did to change it up this year is just add a free cut to all my clean ups. It works out because they hear "free". It only takes a few extra minutes to cut and I use the bagger to really make the place look clean. I still do it on the hourly rate for clean ups also. So its a win win. It also allows me to show new clean up customers how well I cut and they in return they want me back for weekly maintence. Hope I helped.

C6H12O6
04-08-2011, 01:57 AM
Good idea. I obviously need to think about this strategy so i'm starting now. Thanks.

AMA

Get Some...
04-08-2011, 08:07 AM
50% is alot of dough....

grassman88
04-08-2011, 09:00 AM
maybe 15% but 50 is way to much theres alot that could happen people move, dont hae the money to do the fall cleanup what if u got a big cleanup$1000+ you be gdoing it for 500. i have thought about doing the same exact thing but thought about it for a while and i dont know if it would be worth it

Lefet
04-08-2011, 06:26 PM
The only way I'd do that was if they paid the fall clean up up front. You'd do the spring clean up at a discount, then in the fall they'll forget you.
You'd be beat.

cslawnandlandscape
04-08-2011, 06:49 PM
50% off is huge, I am doing it at 15% off for spring and fall if they sign an agreement for mowing for the season and that can take a chunk off the bill, but it has gotten me mowing agreements from almost all of them who are getting clean ups. The others no discount.

I saw someone the other day on craigslist posting that they are doing them for free? :dizzy: I would be out of business before the season even started!

soloscaperman
04-08-2011, 07:21 PM
50% off is huge, I am doing it at 15% off for spring and fall if they sign an agreement for mowing for the season and that can take a chunk off the bill, but it has gotten me mowing agreements from almost all of them who are getting clean ups. The others no discount.

I saw someone the other day on craigslist posting that they are doing them for free? :dizzy: I would be out of business before the season even started!

Show them to your customers home and just say there yours and still charge your price to the customer and get paid 100% for doing nothing lol.

THEGOLDPRO
04-08-2011, 07:34 PM
Sounds like a horrible idea.

MDLawn
04-08-2011, 10:48 PM
Sounds like a horrible idea.

Agreed. I understand giving discounts for an upfront payment, but even mine are minimal. 50% off sounds like you are begging for work. Start giving crazy discounts and customers will want 50% of fall clean up, 50% of mulch, 50% of whatever. The reason you give a discount is because you are getting something (payment ahead of time) that benefits you. Giving a discount on hoping they give you something else is dangerous. I'm always surprised people will give discounts on only lawn maintenance, or only mulching. Whats the discount for? What are you getting out of it? Most places work by giving a discount for multiple purchases, not on one. To each their own.

C6H12O6
04-11-2011, 05:13 PM
I don't mean to bump the thread, but thanks for the responses.

50% is too much, I don't even know why I typed it in now that I think about it again.

I am happy to say though we just started a short while ago and already have enough work to fill up the week. :cool2: Word of mouth is pretty amazing.

Thanks Again
AMA

vencops
04-11-2011, 05:29 PM
I'm still not seeing the issue in NOT offering the 50% off.

Most questions I see posted here have little to do with (IMO) the technical side of bidding or LCO work and EVERYTHING to do with ....................MATH.

If you're recovering your costs.....what difference does it make how you package it? It's just marketing.

Ever see those ads where an automobile dealership says "If you find a better deal, we'll match it.....or we'll give you the car"? Reckon how many cars they've ever given away?

It's not "giving something away".....unless you actually give something away.

Hook and Ladder
04-11-2011, 06:00 PM
Ran a local on-line ad. Wanted to get my name out there was the main goal. Ended up offering one hour of landscaping with a two man crew for 65% off normal price. Sold 37 hours worth. Have mixed feeling about it. Of course it was free work and in fact lost money. However, I did retain some great customers. Offer something small like that to get them hooked because one hour isn't much. Of course the cheap skates will get you. lol

XLS
04-11-2011, 08:46 PM
you can give any % number you like i can give a person 80% off as long as i know the right numbers i would never let them know the standard rate i would just act like its a deal and state my regular price .

JB1
04-11-2011, 08:54 PM
50% of what, sounds like something for suckers.

Kelly's Landscaping
04-11-2011, 11:46 PM
Hehehehe I think id give 50% off not to have to do the damm fall clean up. I understand your hungry and just trying to fill your schedule but working for free isn't worth it. My first year we took anything we could get by year two we only did a few non lawn clean ups who had used us the year before. By year three we won't even talk to you if your not a contracted lawn account even our fert only customer's do not get us for clean ups. The weather can shut you down at any time you feel pretty dumb if you have lawn accounts you didn't get to but some guy who only uses you for clean ups got his.

But if you like working for free who am I to stop you hell I feel like I worked from free today. Condo took 3.5 hours times 4 men longer then expected today cause everything was wet and we promised it would be done today. Nothing like losing 800 to start the week thank god its one real profitable lawn account.

mike174
04-12-2011, 12:52 AM
I don't mean to bump the thread, but thanks for the responses.

50% is too much, I don't even know why I typed it in now that I think about it again.

I am happy to say though we just started a short while ago and already have enough work to fill up the week. :cool2: Word of mouth is pretty amazing.

Thanks Again
AMA

If sold as a package (contract) deal, I can see it working. $150 for a Spring cleanup and $300 for a fall cleanup. If you get rehired next year, you know the $150 would be easier because you did the fall cleanup prior. Add that to a season of mowing and any other add ons, and it could be a good customer.

charmill26
04-12-2011, 02:51 PM
I dont see a point to give any discount I do fall cleanups every week or every 2 weeks on all my accounts until it snows. And they still get a cleanup in the spring and pay full price for it too. If it took you less time in the spring wouldn't their price just be less?

Wright48
04-12-2011, 05:45 PM
Hell no once your established as cheap or a discount company youll never change it you want a perfect example look at walmart

XLS
04-13-2011, 07:21 PM
when we do fall clean ups we get 150.00 per hour and between $5-10.00 per walker dump for the haul off the discount comes in the form of less dumps in the spring simple. i agree with wright 100% cheap is always cheap

MDLawn
04-13-2011, 07:38 PM
when we do fall clean ups we get 150.00 per hour and between $5-10.00 per walker dump for the haul off the discount comes in the form of less dumps in the spring simple. i agree with wright 100% cheap is always cheap

Agree with you and wright!!

JFGauvreau
04-13-2011, 07:45 PM
50% is just way to much

XLS
04-13-2011, 08:03 PM
if i was going to offer a deal on a fall cleanup to get customers and the lawns you do was small . i would consider doing rye grass overseeding At cost considering rye runs .50 a pound here or a free limb and lawn debris pick up ( raking of areas with alot of twigs where your mower didnt pick up clean ) its giving something with getting the bigger gain to fall on your business not the actual customer.

for us on our new customers we give a free bed shaping and preme when they have a install scheduled by the 15 of any month ( with 2 bed shapers it dont take long to get the free stuff finished and getting on to the money stuf) this actually gets us about 1500 installs a year and opens our clients to trusting us with more of their lawns.
and if they pay in advance on lawn mowing we do grass debris removal free ,,,, we run walkers and we sell the grass to farms so its a win win

mike174
04-14-2011, 01:49 AM
You have to compare apples to apples....meaning sqft to sqft. If you charge $150/hr + $10 per dump on 10,000 sqft lets assume it takes 1hr & 5 dumps or $200. Then in the Spring it should be 1/2 the time and dumps so $75+$25 = $100. You are already charging a 50% discount BUT if you tell a customer upfront they will get a 50% discount...they like DISCOUNTS. You're already doing it 50% cheaper....just sell it as a discount. Maybe my time & numbers are all wrong, but experience tells me different.

vencops
04-14-2011, 08:45 AM
You guys are hung up on the terminology. The 50% doesn't have to be a real number.

Ever think you're really getting something for "free" in a buy-one-get-one deal?

XLS
04-14-2011, 10:00 AM
mike 174 i am glad we are compairing apples to apples it just shows me my tree is bigger i guess you say a 10,000 sqft lawn at those rates would be for you 1 hour and 5 dumps ........in our world on a 10 ,000 sqft we would do 150.00 per visit minimum plus the 10.00 per dump fee because we require 20 dumps at $10.00 before we drop it to 5.00 dumps on that size we would be 200.00 for your size lawn and we would run it weekly and take about 35 minutes . our 150.00 per hour and $5.00 dumps are on our clients where we make a day of the clean ups every week and it can add up to 2500.00per 2 person service crew I.E. 8 hour day x $150.00hr = 1200.00 + 20 dumps@10.00=200.00 +180 dumps@ 5.00 =$900.00 for on or off site dumping would total $2300.00 per day with 1 man on a walker and a 2nd guy running the vac's . if its a 1 man small job like you spoke of it would be a 1 man crew and he would just dump on the trailers and go.
apples to apples.

mike174
04-19-2011, 12:58 AM
mike 174 i am glad we are compairing apples to apples it just shows me my tree is bigger i guess you say a 10,000 sqft lawn at those rates would be for you 1 hour and 5 dumps ........in our world on a 10 ,000 sqft we would do 150.00 per visit minimum plus the 10.00 per dump fee because we require 20 dumps at $10.00 before we drop it to 5.00 dumps on that size we would be 200.00 for your size lawn and we would run it weekly and take about 35 minutes . our 150.00 per hour and $5.00 dumps are on our clients where we make a day of the clean ups every week and it can add up to 2500.00per 2 person service crew I.E. 8 hour day x $150.00hr = 1200.00 + 20 dumps@10.00=200.00 +180 dumps@ 5.00 =$900.00 for on or off site dumping would total $2300.00 per day with 1 man on a walker and a 2nd guy running the vac's . if its a 1 man small job like you spoke of it would be a 1 man crew and he would just dump on the trailers and go.
apples to apples.

Ok, my bad bringing numbers into this because I just ballpark them for conversation. The point I was trying to make was if you're already doing something discounted, just sell it as a discount. Customers love to hear the word discount. Every market is different, but in NJ no one is getting fall cleanup prices in the spring. It's just marketing...like the 2 for 1 sales mentioned above.

MDLawn
04-19-2011, 10:33 AM
You guys are hung up on the terminology. The 50% doesn't have to be a real number.

Ever think you're really getting something for "free" in a buy-one-get-one deal?

You're right but in the case of the OP i believe it was 50% off the price they estimated at first.

The stuff you are talking about is rampant in the retail industry. For example, at a store I worked at in high school the weekly sales add would say something like this:

Save $350 (on a bike)
The sale price was 299.98 and the original on the sales tag was $650

Funny thing was we sold the bike during non sales events at $299.99, this was the only price listed on the tag and nothing mentioned about the $650. I had a lot of customers catch this. Ah retail.

mike174
04-20-2011, 12:42 AM
You're right but in the case of the OP i believe it was 50% off the price they estimated at first.

The stuff you are talking about is rampant in the retail industry. For example, at a store I worked at in high school the weekly sales add would say something like this:

Save $350 (on a bike)
The sale price was 299.98 and the original on the sales tag was $650

Funny thing was we sold the bike during non sales events at $299.99, this was the only price listed on the tag and nothing mentioned about the $650. I had a lot of customers catch this. Ah retail.

Guess what? If you service residential customers.....you're in retail. Rely on your retail background. Retail is all about marketing and customer perception. If you have a "I cut lawns" mentality, change it to "how do I sell retail lawn cuts" mentality. Just please don't take the dollar store approach...there's enough low cost providers already:laugh:

MDLawn
04-20-2011, 07:48 AM
Guess what? If you service residential customers.....you're in retail. Rely on your retail background. Retail is all about marketing and customer perception. If you have a "I cut lawns" mentality, change it to "how do I sell retail lawn cuts" mentality. Just please don't take the dollar store approach...there's enough low cost providers already:laugh:

Its sales, not really retail but that doesnt really matter. Oh yea don't worry I have more of the Rodeo Dr mentality. Can't afford it? Please leave the store. I'll quit before I go from expensive to affordable let alone cheap.
Posted via Mobile Device

mike174
04-21-2011, 12:42 AM
Its sales, not really retail but that doesnt really matter. Oh yea don't worry I have more of the Rodeo Dr mentality. Can't afford it? Please leave the store. I'll quit before I go from expensive to affordable let alone cheap.
Posted via Mobile Device

You're right, it's sales...and retail is also all about making sales. We're on the same page, and I can see you know your stuff (not like I'm an expert). Happy selling (retailing:laugh:)

MDLawn
04-21-2011, 03:59 PM
I don't think any of us are anywhere near experts. Some have much more experience but its a continuous learning and adapting process that makes one better.
Posted via Mobile Device

mike174
04-22-2011, 01:13 AM
I don't think any of us are anywhere near experts. Some have much more experience but its a continuous learning and adapting process that makes one better.
Posted via Mobile Device

MD, I agree.