PDA

View Full Version : cocoa shell mulch

David Shaw
09-28-2002, 04:08 PM
Has anybody ever used the cocoa shell mulch? Seems like someone told me it lasts much longer than cedar or cypress. But is it worth the added expense?:help:

AGLA
09-28-2002, 04:54 PM
In my opinion, it is really nice in smaller, highly detailed, and wind protected areas. It does tend to blow. It really does pop out the color of foliage and flowers. It is dark and fine textured - a very clean look.
It is light and fluffy in comparison to bark mulch. It is less a barrier for weeds.
It is best used in special places and with your more descriminating clients. They will enjoy the benefit and feel it is worth the expense.
Your mid-range customer will most likely not have the same appreciation and balk at the price.

Andrew Hardscape
09-28-2002, 08:16 PM
My girlfriend has this crap in her beds at her house. She loves it.

But from a professional standpoint its my opinion that it is messy and it sticks.

I would not recommend using it on any of our lobs unless the client insisted.

Lanelle
09-28-2002, 09:44 PM
This is the type of mulch that I recommend for rose beds since it has a more neutral pH. Other than that, I don't use it but it does smell nice.

IBGreen
09-28-2002, 10:31 PM
I've never used it and never really messed with it. But, my dad's name is David Shaw, I didn't think there were too many out there so I thought I'd let you know.

Brandon Shaw
Evergreen Landscaping Concepts

David Shaw
09-29-2002, 03:07 PM
I guess there's a few of us out here anyway. Here is my thoughts on this mulch and why I'm thinking of using it. Let me know what you think. This customer collects rocks from places they go on vacation, obviously they're various light browns to tans and grays. I thought they would stand out against this stuff. He puts them on display sort of. I'm just trying to make it look good.

lawnMaster5000
09-30-2002, 02:04 AM
There is a guy in the St. Louis area that has gone from a nothing just starting cutting teenager to a millionare, just built a multi million dollar home, and has a huge lawn company in the area. For those of you from the area I am talking about John Andrews and Lawns of destinction. I believe that alot of his income is from coco mulch, he imports it and then distributes it all over the area. They also do alot of installs for larger more expensive homes.

If it would be my guess a large part of his income has come from this mulch, but also he has a great operation.

Basicaly I am just saying that people around here are eating the stuff up like crazy. If your target is the nicer homes and businesses than you should try and market this mulch to them. For middle class customers i would not waste your time, it costs toom much for my own home, and many others would agree.

jkelton
10-01-2002, 06:11 PM
How much is this stuff compared to standard mulches (i.e., hardwood or whatever is in your region)?

David Shaw
10-01-2002, 08:53 PM
Well, the cocoa is 2.99 for 2cu.ft bags
red cedar is 2.06 for 2 cu.ft bags
cypress is also 2.06 for 2 cu. ft. bags.

I also have a place I get hardwood mulch in nuggets or shredded for 5.00 for a small p/u load, 10.00 for a full size p/u load. I have used this for one or two cost concious customers and I have it at my house. I don't really like it though, and I don't think these customers would want it.