PDA

View Full Version : CAT skid steer Tracks or Wheels

cuttin-to-the-Max
04-08-2011, 08:28 PM
Ok Guy im looking to get a Cat..I like their Lease to buy program (you can rent the machine and every Dollar goes to The machine you buy)
I was wondering which is the better way to go? Tracked or Wheels?
I'll just start off my saying im leaning more towards the tracks because it would be easier to go over grass (i assume) For landscape jobs and what not. Also For the winter.....My buddy has a Cat skid steer and he uses a 12' Box for it (might be part of the reason) And today i saw his tires were pretty bald!

would a track loader be better?

My Area's CAT rep was out of the office by the time i called him but The rental Dept. Rep told me the guy who plows CAT's yard Chooses the Tracked Cat...Maybe that means something.....:rolleyes:

http://site.excavatingdavenport.com/images/skid-steer02.jpg

GreenI.A.
04-08-2011, 10:35 PM
plowing i would say tracks. On grass tires, from my experience with them tracks do alot more damage when turning. If you are doing alot of installs in heavy mud I would consider tracks. Personally I prefer tires, and the only time I really see a great beneift with tracks is for snow, tires work but tracks works better is puchins with a large plow. If you are just scooping and moving the snow there isn't any real difference. Also if plowing and you are going low down to the pavement tires are better, tracks are good if there is a layer of packed snow on the pavement.

ryde307
04-09-2011, 12:51 PM
Depends on your budget (tracks cost more)
Maintenance skills (track machines are exepensive to upkeep)
Main landscape use ( heavy worok or just moving stuff around lawns tracks are better in more conditions, tires are better running up and down drives and streets, tracks are good for running accross lawns)
What type of snow work ( do you just plow if so tires are better, if you plow and have to push back snow piles if so you need tracks to ramp back piles and stack more)

cuttin-to-the-Max
04-09-2011, 01:26 PM
Depends on your budget (tracks cost more)
Maintenance skills (track machines are exepensive to upkeep)
Main landscape use ( heavy worok or just moving stuff around lawns tracks are better in more conditions, tires are better running up and down drives and streets, tracks are good for running accross lawns)
What type of snow work ( do you just plow if so tires are better, if you plow and have to push back snow piles if so you need tracks to ramp back piles and stack more)

Well I would deffinetly have to push back a few piles into the lake (if the pile gets too high for a boss v to stack) at one account. I also plow sub divisions so plowing the driveways I do wouldn't be bad either....my idea setup is gonna be a cat skidsteer and a 8-10' kage innovation box setup..

Then in the summer months it would really just sit mostly... We do have a hand-full accounts that require 30 yards of mulch each. So being able to drive on grass would be nice....
Posted via Mobile Device

tjlco
04-10-2011, 02:06 PM
Not trying to hijack this thread, but what about for sod installs, as in removal of old grass and dirt. (my steer has tires, but they are the foam filled heavy ones) I was thinking of switching to pneumatic???

cuttin-to-the-Max
04-11-2011, 04:05 PM
Not trying to hijack this thread, but what about for sod installs, as in removal of old grass and dirt. (my steer has tires, but they are the foam filled heavy ones) I was thinking of switching to pneumatic???

I say go on the cat website....there is a little Survey thing that says "hellp me determine which Cat skid id for me"
I would say tracks is better for you but thats just me

ryde307
04-11-2011, 04:18 PM
I say go on the cat website....there is a little Survey thing that says "hellp me determine which Cat skid id for me"
I would say tracks is better for you but thats just me

I would agree if thats your focus grading sod work and so on tracks are better.

ryde307
04-11-2011, 04:20 PM
Well I would deffinetly have to push back a few piles into the lake (if the pile gets too high for a boss v to stack) at one account. I also plow sub divisions so plowing the driveways I do wouldn't be bad either....my idea setup is gonna be a cat skidsteer and a 8-10' kage innovation box setup..

Then in the summer months it would really just sit mostly... We do have a hand-full accounts that require 30 yards of mulch each. So being able to drive on grass would be nice....
Posted via Mobile Device

How do you get it from job to job when plowing? if they are close and you drive it from place to place and its main purpose is snow I would get tires. Tracks are not cheap to replace.

cuttin-to-the-Max
04-11-2011, 10:06 PM
How do you get it from job to job when plowing? if they are close and you drive it from place to place and its main purpose is snow I would get tires. Tracks are not cheap to replace.

Right now I keep a trailer and compact wheel loader (which we sold) at my dads house in the winter.
I plow his driveway and his sub division then 2 across the street. We plow the sidewalk since it only goes like 10MPH (from sub to sub)
Then trailered it to far places if needed.

kgserv
04-11-2011, 10:20 PM
how will you trailer a 8-10 boxblade and a skid? from a track loader owner. buy a wheeled machine. if its gonna set for 8 months, rent one long term it will be cheaper.

cuttin-to-the-Max
04-11-2011, 10:37 PM
how will you trailer a 8-10 boxblade and a skid? from a track loader owner. buy a wheeled machine. if its gonna set for 8 months, rent one long term it will be cheaper.

What do you mean how? :confused: Yeah only thing is a Compact loader is too heavy for my needs in the summer

White Gardens
04-13-2011, 07:20 PM
Have you thought about a mini-skid instead of a Skid Steer, or is the full size skid what you really need?

cuttin-to-the-Max
04-13-2011, 07:30 PM
Have you thought about a mini-skid instead of a Skid Steer, or is the full size skid what you really need?

No a mini skid hasnt ever even been a thought in my head.
One, I couldnt use it in my subdivisions i do. It wouldnt be able to push any snow! It would also be too small for my mulch jobs.....

Im assuming we're both thinking about something like A dingo...

White Gardens
04-13-2011, 07:41 PM
No a mini skid hasnt ever even been a thought in my head.
One, I couldnt use it in my subdivisions i do. It wouldnt be able to push any snow! It would also be too small for my mulch jobs.....

Im assuming we're both thinking about something like A dingo...

Yep. I have a Vermeer S600TX with the platform. I ended up having to use it for snow this last winter when we got a 13 inch snow storm.

My trucks do all the plowing. I just had to use it for sidewalks and pushing and stacking snow back in small tight lots. It made it super easy to do a clean job and get behind all the vehicles cleaned out good and the visibility makes it safer.

It was cold though. Luckily I wasn't at any one place for more than 1.5 hours cleaning up. Even if I got cold, I just stuck my hands and feet in front of the exhaust for a couple minutes at a time.

If you've got the use for a full sized skid though, then I'd go that direction. Go with tires, and buy a set of winter tires for it for better traction.

cuttin-to-the-Max
04-13-2011, 10:46 PM
Yep. I have a Vermeer S600TX with the platform. I ended up having to use it for snow this last winter when we got a 13 inch snow storm.

My trucks do all the plowing. I just had to use it for sidewalks and pushing and stacking snow back in small tight lots. It made it super easy to do a clean job and get behind all the vehicles cleaned out good and the visibility makes it safer.

It was cold though. Luckily I wasn't at any one place for more than 1.5 hours cleaning up. Even if I got cold, I just stuck my hands and feet in front of the exhaust for a couple minutes at a time.

If you've got the use for a full sized skid though, then I'd go that direction. Go with tires, and buy a set of winter tires for it for better traction.

Yeah i need a Skid steer Full sized!
When you're doing 5 subdivisions you need something you can fly through them with.....My Buddy has A GMC 4500 that he plows with which is nice but they're like 85k

ryde307
04-15-2011, 06:57 PM
Reading more about what your doing with it I would look into a tractor instead. most skids are not great for doing mulch when going over a yard alot to get to beds. They can move alot of snow but road spead is slow. Tractor solves both problems.