PDA

View Full Version : Soil testing

StBalor
04-08-2011, 08:07 PM
Anyone out there know where to have soil testing done in Maryland?

bmoorefield
04-11-2011, 11:34 AM
Shemin Nurseries, they have two locations. One in White Marsh and the one near you would be Burtonsville.
4100 Sandy Spring Road, Burtonsville - (410) 792-4531
They have all the materials that you would need for improving soil conditions (lime, fert, gypsum, etc...).

mike174
04-12-2011, 01:45 AM
The last I heard, University of Maryland closed their soil testing lab. Try a third party lab, JDL or another out of state university. I think University of Delaware still does soil testing for Maryland.

StBalor
04-12-2011, 09:12 AM
I went ahead and mailed my sample to A&L eastern labs. This was my 1st time sending a soil sample.

I do not usually install sod but this year i have gotten 4 calls asking if i install sod. after turning the 1st 2 away i decided to bid the 2nd 2 since i had some time on my hands.

the 1st 1 i bid i have not heard back from the home owner.

the 2nd customer wanted a soil sample and priceing on sod and a price on seeding.

when doing soil samples how do you guys charge? just for the soil sample or do you include your time?

Soil sample and shipping was 22.00 i was thinking of charging 50.00 with the understanding half would be waived if they accepted my estimate.
Does this sound ok to you guys.

bmoorefield
04-12-2011, 10:16 AM
That sounds a little high to me but if you are calling it a deposit I guess its ok. I don’t charge up front much over cost for soil samples (Shemin charges no more then $12 for a basic soil test, and they email you the results). If I don’t get the job at least I have covered my cost and gas. I insert that extra cost and time into the installation, for example on a 600 sq. ft. sod job add an extra $0.03 per sq. ft. and you have $18 made up for the soil test.