PDA

View Full Version : How many seeding in water restricted areas?

Turfdude
09-28-2002, 07:29 PM
Here in NJ, all watering of turf is banned w/ the exception of sod/seed for new construction, or a lawn may be watered for 48 hrs after an application from a licensed company. Any overseeding can NOT! be watered (unless you want to pay a $1000.00 fine).

I usually begin my renovations in September, and wrap things up by mid-late October. I will probably do some renovations beginning soon, but will down play the results to my clients since they can't water. With the mass devastation to turf in this region due to fungus, drought and some unwanted crabgrass, the turf looks anything but very healthy. I am already having nightmares visioning the winter chickweed crop coming to a head, and next years headaches w/ crabgrass as the turf may not become as dense as it normally would if it received proper care in a normal fall.

So how many of you are pushing these services, and what results are you having with the work and your clients' perceptions?

Bob

KirbysLawn
09-29-2002, 01:29 AM
Been doing full bast for 3 weeks now. There are few options, wait and it gets too cold and you are screwed until next fall, do it and we get now rain you are screwed, or roll the dice...do ut and pray for rain. So far it's working, ost all that were done 2 weeks + are looking great!

ant
09-29-2002, 09:13 AM
bob and ray ;;i seeded 2 lawns that they are watering:D
i aeravated 6 lawns that they did the seeding themselfs...
i am not pushing seeding only if they buy the seed and put it down.i am only aeravating not core aeration...
ant

Bob Minney
09-29-2002, 10:56 AM
Had to postpone/cancel all our overseeding because of water restrictions. Can not count on enough natural moisture to do the job. Might give some a try in spring so lawns will look nice till heat hits. See what water situation is next year and maybe will be busy seeding next fall. Sooner or later it will turn around then I'll be crying for a break from seeding. Got to do other work for now.

Lots of new homes are not geting sod installed yet because can't be watered, what a mess those nice new houses are going to be this winter.

Turfdude
09-29-2002, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by ant
[Bi aeravated 6 lawns that they did the seeding themselfs...
i am only aeravating not core aeration...
ant [/B]

Ant, you leave me a bit confused - what is "aeravation"?
I have always either dethatched and core aerated, before seeding.

Bob

ant
09-29-2002, 08:07 PM
aeravation is a form of aeration with out the cores..
spikes enter the soil which are driven by and "off-set roller"and it shadders the soil profile under the turf.less disruptive then core-aeration. and with 12% moisture in the soil around here who can pull a core.
www.1stproducts.com
is were you can see the mechine
or call me and i will show you mine..
ant

Turfdude
10-02-2002, 10:46 PM
Ant,
Thanks for the clarification. I have heard ofthattype of machine, just didn't know it was referred to as aeravation.

Bob

ant
10-03-2002, 08:50 PM
bob:give me a call if you wont to see it work. i am not to far from you ..
anthony