PDA

View Full Version : would you ever.......

steveair
09-28-2002, 08:57 PM
Would you ever.........

put terra-drain matting underneath pavers?

In case you don't know what terra-drain is, its as plastic mat that looks much like those packaging 'bubble wrap" but more solid and with a sheet of filter fabric adhered to the rough, bubble side.

I'm just asking.............................as it might be a solution to a concrete patio I'm having trouble with.....................

steve

steveair
09-28-2002, 09:29 PM
all right,

I'm not asking a question here, I'm telling you something I did!

So what do you think?

Quite honestly, I'm very impressed............so far. Looks pretty darn good if I say so myself.....but looks can be deceiving.

Not sure it this was the way to go or not, so I'm giving it a shot.

steve

kris
09-28-2002, 11:01 PM
Steve,

Is this the same product that roofers use? We use it in some situations, against concrete or wood. But under pavers...No ... do you think it will hold up?

What is the problem you are having?

dan deutekom
09-29-2002, 12:08 PM
I assume you had a water problem. I think I have seen that it has been used under basement floors and I have used it in Interior planters to drain excess water. I think if you have enough base material over it there wouldn't be a problem with it deforming. Tell us more.

steveair
09-29-2002, 07:23 PM
Hello,

Yes, I believe this is the same product as roofers used.....that was where we got the idea from.

The area that has giving me problems is one I mentioned before........a job involving paver installation over concrete.

Well, one patio is elevevated (basically a roof over a lower patio)

We did the about 1 month ago......direct lay on top of concrete......worked out very nice..........but..........it turns out that the contractor never put flashing between the stone work on the house and the patio and there was a leak! So we had to pull the hole thing up.

Like a maniac, the builder went completely overboard and put all sorts of sealers on the patio......a thick coat of rubber, and sheets of tar (the roll type roofers use that sticks on one side and smooth on the other)

It was A complete disaster that I had to deal with..........so the terra drain was the only option we could think off.

The area is only about 400 sq feet, and will only see foot traffic.........it will never have any thing heavy on it (basically its a deck off of the second floor)

I forsee the plastic may 'squish' a little over time, but with the little traffic this patio will see, I believe it may just work.

I know this will get me a lot of 'told you so's' from the people who insisted on saying not to do the job........but, what to be done had to be done.

steve