PDA

View Full Version : Sidewalk therapy

Mark B
04-09-2011, 06:04 PM
Well I just started a large project for me, since I am working full time. I am using a total of 80 kitchler LED fixtures. But the kicker is the 71 sidewalks I have to go under. I project is 8 different commercial buildings. I started the job this weekend. I am getting fairly good at going under them, as they are not the normal width, they are 54" wide with some that are wider. For the most part this is a simple project other then the sidewalks.

I have been using the long drill bits that you can find in the electrical dept at home depot or lowes. I found they have an extension for them. I did find out they will come apart, the set screws came loose. I will be trying a 10' piece of thread rod tomorrow. I hope to post pictures when it is done.

Oh in case you forgot I have the sweetest FT job in Cary, the project is 2hrs away from home.
Posted via Mobile Device

S&MLL
04-09-2011, 08:04 PM
71 sidewalks..... Makes a 20k job jump to 30k real fast :laugh:

If your using those drill bits I guess your not sleeving? Largest bit system Ive seen has been 1". (as for something sold at lowes)

Take a bunch of pics. Something we dont do on here enough is install/repair pics

Classic Lighting
04-09-2011, 11:47 PM
71 is a ton of labor and time. I'd look for a boring contractor to sub out. Work smarter, not harder.

Mark B
04-10-2011, 12:46 AM
I am not sleeving them. I do not think there is no need in sleeving, due to the fact they are only sidewalks. I have gotten fairly fast at doing them.
Posted via Mobile Device

S&MLL
04-10-2011, 04:29 PM
I was under the impression under a sidewalk must be in pipe? Maybe its a jersey thing
Posted via Mobile Device

Mark B
04-10-2011, 05:39 PM
If this was irritation then I would put the sleeves in. But since it is lighting I am not. It only takes a few minutes drilling under the sidewalk. The sidewalk is not going to crush the wire like it would a pipe. The only bad part about going under is having to dig out and deep enough, before I can drill under the walk.
Posted via Mobile Device

steveparrott
04-11-2011, 07:37 PM
I was under the impression under a sidewalk must be in pipe? Maybe its a jersey thing
Posted via Mobile Device

Under a sidewalk only needs to be 6" under top surface, no pipe or conduit required.

See Wire Burial Depth Codes (http://www.cast-lighting.com/search/1/display-document/54).

Classic Lighting
04-11-2011, 08:58 PM
Sleepy, we love pics of this project. Even if they come from a cell phone.

Mark B
04-11-2011, 09:11 PM
They are on my phone. I have not put on my computer yet. All the wire will be in beds no grass on this one. Mark
Posted via Mobile Device

starry night
04-11-2011, 11:21 PM
Under a sidewalk only needs to be 6" under top surface, no pipe or conduit required.

See Wire Burial Depth Codes (http://www.cast-lighting.com/search/1/display-document/54).

Steve,
I read your link to the burial depths. First, as a newcomer, I didn't know it was code to bury 6" deep. I thought 6" depth was merely a good practice.

Second, do you know why the code calls for 18" under a residential driveway?

S&MLL
04-12-2011, 01:02 PM

Thank you... I was under the impression a sidewalk counted as a driveway

bcg
04-12-2011, 02:25 PM
From looking at that, it almost appears that when they say driveway, they mean not concrete driveway, since concrete is specified seperately. Does anyone else interpret it that way?

Mark B
04-17-2011, 07:20 PM
I will post some pics of the job when it is complete. I went Saturday with 2 guys for help. I was totally amazed at what we got done. We went under I would say 55 sidewalks and pulled all the wire. I had to go under 6 5ft sidewalks, the bit worked excellent with the extension. I did however start using my small hammer drill instead of the 18volt cordless.

I hope to install the fixtures in 2 weekes.
Posted via Mobile Device

S&MLL
04-17-2011, 10:03 PM
More info about this bit setup

Mark B
04-17-2011, 10:33 PM
I think they are called flex bits at lowes or home depot. I think I am using the 3/4" bit with the extension on it.
Posted via Mobile Device