PDA

View Full Version : What's the fastest EASIEST way to remove this?

Lefet
04-09-2011, 07:35 PM
I have a client that wants to do a complete makeover of his front landscape. He wants everything gone except 4 bushes/trees. What's the easiest, cost effective way to remove all of these various plantings. He wants the rock to remain, and plant other trees, flowers, shrubs.
Any help is greatly appreciated

Lefet
04-09-2011, 07:35 PM
Heres one more.

Surf'n'Turf
04-09-2011, 09:50 PM
other than the arbs, all the plants pictured are rather small...once they rake back the gravel, two guys with sharp spades should have them out of the ground in less than an hour.

MMADDUX
04-09-2011, 09:50 PM
hahaha:clapping::clapping:

JB1
04-09-2011, 09:55 PM
thick gloves with the cactus.

Surf'n'Turf
04-09-2011, 09:56 PM
oh, i forgot 'easiest' method...i'd use our toro dingo to rip them out in a few minutes, but the op may not have that luxury. theres always the hillbilly method of tying a rope to the truck and slappin' her in granny gear.

Lance712
04-09-2011, 10:15 PM
oh, i forgot 'easiest' method...i'd use our toro dingo to rip them out in a few minutes, but the op may not have that luxury. theres always the hillbilly method of tying a rope to the truck and slappin' her in granny gear.

Haha ditto
Posted via Mobile Device

MMADDUX
04-09-2011, 10:16 PM

and hope the rope don't break and kill some one. and oh yah better get you some insurance.

JB1
04-09-2011, 10:21 PM
and hope the rope don't break and kill some one. and oh yah better get you some insurance.

agree, use a chain instead.

MMADDUX
04-09-2011, 10:29 PM

chains can break or slip and cause some serious damage to but probably wont with his van.:laugh::laugh:

Lefet
04-10-2011, 07:36 AM
other than the arbs, all the plants pictured are rather small...once they rake back the gravel, two guys with sharp spades should have them out of the ground in less than an hour.

I kind of figured that except there's approximately 40+ of them.

Lefet
04-10-2011, 07:40 AM
thick gloves with the cactus.

DEFINATELY!!

Don't have a dingo but will look into renting one. What about damage to the lawn?

Thanks, we've got insurance

Yes, thanks.

chains can break or slip and cause some serious damage to but probably wont with his van.:laugh::laugh:

Hmmmm never thought about a van!! Maybe we can rent one of those too!! :clapping: :clapping:

AGLA
04-10-2011, 08:15 AM
If you went out there with a shovel, a wheelbarrow, and a rake you'd be done by now.

I don't get it. These are relatively small plants with the exception of the arbs which are one of the easiest plants to dig out. You don't need equipment or a truck and a chain. You need to get to work. Use the most efficient gear that you already have, because there is not a lot of time involved in doing this no matter what equipment or method you use.

I swear that if it does not have a power cord or <s>pull cord</s> electric start no one knows what to do anymore.

MMADDUX
04-10-2011, 08:24 AM
Don't have a dingo but will look into renting one. What about damage to the lawn?
Well if you want to spin donuts it will!!!!!

Tyler7692
04-10-2011, 09:27 AM
If you went out there with a shovel, a wheelbarrow, and a rake you'd be done by now.

I don't get it. These are relatively small plants with the exception of the arbs which are one of the easiest plants to dig out. You don't need equipment or a truck and a chain. You need to get to work. Use the most efficient gear that you already have, because there is not a lot of time involved in doing this no matter what equipment or method you use.

I swear that if it does not have a power cord or <s>pull cord</s> electric start no one knows what to do anymore.

I agree. You could probably just literally rip half the plants out by hand. You may have to use a shovel on some.

A lot of times you can find the edge of the fabric and just pull it up and it will pull all the stone in a pile for you if its not too rotted.

Easy job, that whole place could be cleaned out with 2 guys in 3-4 hours easy.

Lefet
04-10-2011, 02:14 PM

I agree. You could probably just literally rip half the plants out by hand. You may have to use a shovel on some.

A lot of times you can find the edge of the fabric and just pull it up and it will pull all the stone in a pile for you if its not too rotted.

Thanks guys, I kind of figured to just dig them out by hand. Was just seeing if there was an easier, faster way. This client wants a few additional things done so any way I can save time would be great.

VO Landscape Design
04-10-2011, 11:25 PM
I try to save as much as I can with in reason when I remove plants. Some can be used later or in your own yard. Dig them up throw them in the truck and pot them up at home/shop.
VO

Lefet
04-11-2011, 07:12 AM
I try to save as much as I can with in reason when I remove plants. Some can be used later or in your own yard. Dig them up throw them in the truck and pot them up at home/shop.
VO

Good idea, thanks.

White Gardens
04-13-2011, 06:34 PM
Thanks guys, I kind of figured to just dig them out by hand. Was just seeing if there was an easier, faster way. This client wants a few additional things done so any way I can save time would be great.

By the time you go rent a machine, haul it, and get it there, you'd be done. Sometimes you have to weigh those factors in too.

Besides the sharp spade, get a good Maddox Pick (Pick Axe). When I started my biz, that was the first tool I bought. The leverage you get to pop plants and shrubs makes it super easy to do by hand.

Lefet
04-13-2011, 08:06 PM
By the time you go rent a machine, haul it, and get it there, you'd be done. Sometimes you have to weigh those factors in too.

Besides the sharp spade, get a good Maddox Pick (Pick Axe). When I started my biz, that was the first tool I bought. The leverage you get to pop plants and shrubs makes it super easy to do by hand.

Thanks White Gardens, I've got one in my arsenal too! Try not to leave home without it!

grassman222
04-24-2011, 08:23 AM

i agree . i would spade them all out . The arbs will come right out with a spade no problem . just my opinion

Lefet
04-24-2011, 10:33 AM
Thanks for all the input. After figuring it all out, picking out new plantings, finding a low light installer and what not, the guy decided to go with someone else. Or so he says.
Again, thanks for all the input!

Isobel
05-15-2011, 02:44 AM
Seriously, take a couple of guys, with a couple of shovels, and go at it. there's nothing major there that would require heavy equipment.