PDA

View Full Version : Slow Gorwing Ground Cover

heygrassman
09-29-2002, 12:39 AM
Can anyone suggest a very slow growing (spreading) ground cover. The area is about 1 foot in width and curve linear about 15 ft. I am in Zone 5-6. The area is very shady.

Thanks in advance.

jf

Cheese burger
09-29-2002, 12:32 PM
pachysandra

vardener
09-29-2002, 03:03 PM
Ajuga

AGLA
09-29-2002, 09:35 PM
Pachistima canbyi (I've seen it spelled with an x as well) does not spread fast. You may try moss for that matter.

baddboygeorge
10-16-2002, 01:58 AM
either of these work well pachasandrya, english ivy, or winter creeper take your pick

lawnstudent
10-17-2002, 06:05 PM
heygrassman,

what do you mean by a slow growing ground cover? Is your concern that the ground cover will grow out of this 1 foot by 15 foot area? Do you need the ground cover in winter? If you do then a woody plant is better than a herbaceous plant. A herbaceous ground cover goes dormant in fall and regrows in spring. A herbaceous ground cover is less likely to grow out of this bed.

What are the soil conditions? Is reliable moisture available for this area?

Herbaceous Ground covers for zone 5:

Ajuga reptans - Best in irregated bed & shade.
Asarum canadense Wild Ginger - Shade.
Galium odoratum Sweet Woodruff - Deep shade, & moist.
Lamium maculatum Spotted Dead Nettle - Shade, PS.
Nepeta x faassenii Pesian Ground Ivy - Shade, rock gardens.
Pachysandrs procumbens Alleghany Spurge - Shade, moist.
Phlox subulata Creeping Phlox - Shade, sandy, water in hot.
Sedum album White Stinecrop - Shade, PS, poor & dry soils.
Thymus serphyllum Mother-of-Thyme - Shade, rocky, sandy.

I can provide a list of woody ground covers if this does not give you what you are looking for. Good luck.

jim

greenman
10-17-2002, 10:57 PM
Ive always liked the English ivy and/or Asian jasemine. Neither grow too fast and can be trimmed or edged with a trimmer.

Liriope (sp?) is always a good choice. Although it is an ornamental clumping grass so it wont spread outward too well.

Out of those three, for your situation and size of the bed, I would go with the jasemine, it looks good edged around the curb.

lawnstudent
10-17-2002, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by greenman
Ive always liked the English ivy and/or Asian jasemine. Neither grow too fast and can be trimmed or edged with a trimmer.

English Ivy uses holdfasts to attach itself to buildings, walls, trees, etc. These holdfasts will work their way into any crack and tear apart a manmade struture. Do not use English Ivy if near a manmade strusture.

English Ivy and Asian jasemine are woody perrenials. You will have to trim these plants at least once every year to contain these plants in your narrow planting area once they are established.

jim