PDA

View Full Version : how long should it take me?

TLS landscaping
04-10-2011, 09:58 AM
I'm tearing down an old RR wall 3.5"x 50ft.

how long should it take me to tear down this wall and build a new wall.
me and 2 laborers and an excavator.?

i'm not looking for an exact hour.. i was thinking possibly four to five days?

i have done smaller jobs, boarders , but this would be my first job since i went on my own.

any input would help.

DVS Hardscaper
04-10-2011, 10:16 AM
Why shape are you in? Fat? Lanky? Strong? or fat, but think you're strong?

How's your heart and lungs? Do you get short of breath?

How are your motor skills? Can you run this excavator or will you boink your helper in the head with the boom?

What are you rebuilding this thing with? Lincoln Logs? 2x4's? Rolled Coins? Legos? What??

HaHa! In other words, we have no clue your physical capabilities or experience level. The job could take us 5 days but it may take someone else 3 days. Or 6 days. Over 4 days sounds like a long long long long long long time for a 50-footer......

ryansbob
04-10-2011, 01:12 PM
A 3.5" (inch high wall) by 50 lineal feet long would only take me a day to remove and build.

scagrider22
04-10-2011, 01:47 PM
With three people and an excavator it sounds like you will be paying one guy to twiddle his thumbs! :laugh:

It would take me and a helper two days but because you had to ask Im guessing it would take you twice as long.

DVS Hardscaper
04-10-2011, 01:55 PM
For removal of old wall, and importing of gravel and block, this is at least a two day job. Unless you roll in there with three trucks. That always cracks me up when I see 3 trucks at a small job!

Posted via Mobile Device

PatriotLandscape
04-13-2011, 08:51 PM
would you have rather that he asked for a square foot price?

jeez if its not one thing it another.

a guy asks for production hours and you give him ****. this board is really going to the pits.

DVS Hardscaper
04-13-2011, 09:56 PM

a guy asks for production hours and you give him ****. this board is really going to the pits.

Someone must be having a bad Wednesday. Has it been raining out your way like it has here?

You being a veteran contractor YOU KNOW DARN WELL there is no way we can answer such a question. :hammerhead:

If this were the case, none of us would even need to go look at a site and meet with a people. Frank Homeowner would only have to call and say "Hello 'Backyards for Less' I want a wall. 75' x 3'. How much?" "oh, $8,988? When can you start?"

We can't answer any dude's questions about how long it should take them. We have no idea of their physical capabilities, site variables, type of material to be installed, equipment to be used, operating skills, terrain, yadda yadda yadda.

And we can't tell them how much to charge.

It's no different than the fact that we can not give prices over the phone to prospective callers.

This forum is not going to the pits. And that's because some of us go to extremes to make sure the information disseminated is accurate and not derived from a fairytale.

So many topics on here about "I was underbid by 48%...." Well, yeah, maybe the one that underbid you was on some internet forum asking how to charge and based their estimate on poor information. You come here asking for information, it may not be what you wanna hear, but at least it's going to be good, solid information.

Or say it's your aunt that hired a contractor that she wasn't't aware that he/she has never done such a job before and your aunt got burned?

Also, these questions repeatedly keep popping up. Over the winter I sent the moderator an e-mail offering to create an opening post for a STICKY THREAD going over pricing and such. To which I never got a reply. Really, this forum needs Sticky Threads. threads regarding pricing for walls and pavements (separate threads). It needs a sticky thread about design software, this subject keeps coming up. Maybe a thread about ICPI, that's another topic that keeps repeating itself.

JoeyDipetro
04-13-2011, 10:21 PM

Thank you Patriot. I can't believe somebody didn't post similar comments sooner. I mean jeez, I'm new and here looking for help, but abrasive comments kind of make me not want to ask.:confused:

DVS Hardscaper
04-13-2011, 10:47 PM
Thank you Patriot. I can't believe somebody didn't post similar comments sooner. I mean jeez, I'm new and here looking for help, but abrasive comments kind of make me not want to ask.:confused:

If you're serious about something, and want others to invest time in sharing their knowledge and experience (which does not come overnight) - it's only fair that you come to class prepared to supply information. I was taught - you get back what you put into it. If you want good answers then supply us with good Infomation about the terrain. Maybe a picture or two. Information about the new block - is it Keystone 8" block or is it 5" Mini Colonial? Equipment. How many people.

Not just say "remove old tie wall 85x3. put in new block wall. how long?"

If we knew how long things would take to do, we would not need to visit job sites to do estimates. Now would we? But we must visit sites so we can see all the variables and factor them into our job costing sheet.

How many times have you done a home show and someone comes up and describes what they want to do and then says "so how much will something like that cost?" Can you give them a straight accurate answer? Of course not, you don't even know if there is a place to stage materials. You don't know if there are overhead utility lines that may be in the way when the tri-axle truck goes to dump the gravel. If you can't tell a person at your booth how long or how much something would cost, how can you answer a blanket question on the internet blindly (without details)?

My initial post was to stimulate thought for the person asking, meaning "hey, gather some information and come back to us with it and we'll take it from there". Notice my last paragragh does lightly touch on his question. If the person isn't able to come back with the necesary information - then they need to do the industry a favor and should not price the work. Why should any members here waste time pecking away for something that can't set forth the effort to assist in assisting him?

And furthermore - use the search feature! I use it about twice a week!!!

JoeyDipetro
04-13-2011, 10:51 PM
If you're serious about something, and want others to invest time in sharing what their knowledge and experience - it's only fair that you come to class prepared to supply information. I was taught - you get back what you put into it. If you want good answers then supply us with good Infomation about the terrain. Maybe a picture or two. Information about the new block - is it Keystone 8" block or is it 5" Mini Colonial? Equipment. How many people.

Not just say "remove old tie wall 85x3. put in new block wall. how long?"

If we knew how long things would take to do, we would not need to visit job sites to do estimates. Now would we?

How many times have you done a home show and someone comes up and describes what they want to do and then says "so how much will something like that cost?" Can you give them a straight accurate answer? Of course not, you don't even know if there is a place to stage materials. You don't know if there are overhead utility lines that may be in the way when the tri-axle truck goes to dump the gravel. If you can't tell a person at your booth how long or how much something would cost, how can you answer a blanket question on the internet without details?

My initial post was to stimulate thought for the person asking, meaning "hey, give us more information". Notice my last paragragh does lightly touch on his question. If the person isn't able to come back with the necesary information - then they need to do the industry a favor and should not price the work.

Fair enough. Why not post that instead of your post number 2?

DVS Hardscaper
04-13-2011, 11:03 PM
Fair enough. Why not post that instead of your post number 2?

It's like not studying for a test.

Then come to class and suddenly be best buddies with the nerd that you never say hello to and never even look at.

Yet you expect him to let you copy his answers off his paper.

In the archives of this forum, you'll find a few posts from over the years where I say "we're not doing your homework for you".

I will be happy to help you study.

You'll see where myself and OTHERS have hours and hours and hours of time invested in sharing knowledge and experience. But a blanket question such as how long or how much, without providing information is where the line is drawn.

Patriot has also over the years provided some harsh responses to people here. That's what made me like him. I clearly remember a few Saturday nights reading his posts and thinking "who is this guy, he sets these guys straight".

TLS landscaping
04-14-2011, 08:29 AM
I understand all the replies its hard to say how long it all depends on experience, machines, how many guys, the land, the layout, all that..
sorry for the least experience question.

I was just looking for a general answer..

someone to say.. hey a wall 95 ft long 3 ft high should take about 4 or 5 days. average.. or 6 or 7 or 1 day.. just some general answer. like i said it all depends.. So If i say i can do it in 4 days with the little experience i have.. is that a good number.. too long.. too short.. ?

I also came up with a price of $8800.. that includes labor, stone, rental of equipment, delivery charges etc. etc.

is that a decent price too low too high? just a ballpark would help..

Thanks again

PS i do look at the search. and everyone has different answers. so many answers. but no one asked my question specifically. you can use a search and find someone say.. oh i did a wall for 40 a sqft. or 38 or even 33 .

but in my situation with what i gave does it sound fair.. thats all i'm asking.

TLS landscaping
04-14-2011, 08:36 AM
also the reason i ask, cause i dont want to underbid myself.. I dont want to be charging too low.. with the price of 8800 i make about a $2500 profit in 4 days. to me thats decent money specially just starting out. should i be charging more? thats my question.. people say they hate low ballers. but what defines a low baller? ?
cause i'm happy with making a 2g$ profit in 4 days while other peoples overheads are way higher and they have to charge 1.5 times more to make the same profit?
am i biting my own nose off by charging too little?

i guess thats the question then... ok 2500$ profit in 4 days good or bad? 8800 too low a number for a 95' x 3' wall? should i be making more? And of course i want to make more money thats why i ask.. if i could be charging more and making more.. who doesnt want to?
if you guys saying i should be making 5g's profit and thats the consensis from you expereinced guys thats the info us new guys are looking for.
I"m not a low baller by any means.. i just know what i need to make to be happy..

what you guys think?

dougaustreim
04-14-2011, 09:47 AM
Are youusing block? We are going to tear out a similar wall and rebuild with the same ties next week. I'll let you know how longit takes. In our case the material is still good, just improperly installed. No batter and no deadmen.

PatriotLandscape
04-14-2011, 10:01 AM
Someone must be having a bad Wednesday. Has it been raining out your way like it has here?

Yes it sucked thanks for asking. have about 250 yards spread out on two jobs and cant touch them for at least two days after all that rain.

bills still came in but the trucks were parked never a good day.

TLS landscaping
04-14-2011, 10:13 PM
Are youusing block? We are going to tear out a similar wall and rebuild with the same ties next week. I'll let you know how longit takes. In our case the material is still good, just improperly installed. No batter and no deadmen.

using new material.. have to tear down old RR tie wall

zedosix
04-14-2011, 10:42 PM
Best thing you can do is take a picture of the site, this way it takes some of the guessing out of the equation.

DVS Hardscaper
04-15-2011, 06:58 AM
Yes it sucked thanks for asking. have about 250 yards spread out on two jobs and cant touch them for at least two days after all that rain.

bills still came in but the trucks were parked never a good day.

3 weeks ago we started a small hardscape / landscape job that should have taken 10 days.

Well.....in the last 3 weeks we've worked there 7 days!

Yeah, when you're coming out of winter - this HURTS!

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
04-15-2011, 10:31 AM
3 weeks ago we started a small hardscape / landscape job that should have taken 10 days.

Well.....in the last 3 weeks we've worked there 7 days!

Yeah, when you're coming out of winter - this HURTS!

And people are so understanding of this situation.:confused: