PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on what equipment to use

MDLawn
04-10-2011, 07:12 PM
I will be putting in my first paver patio, for my brother, this year. I've done a class and read the ICPI manual about 40 times :dizzy: Just curious what is best to use to excavate the area. It is a 15x20 area with decent access. Can a small mini skid like a dingo or boxer excavate for the patio or are they a little too weak? I know that some may say have a mini ex and full size skidsteer but I need to rent these things and would like to stay with the best multi-purpose tool if I can. I'm a little concerned with workspace with a full size skidsteer as there would be only one side to move in and out from. But any and all opinions and experience would be greatly appreciated.

One other question on the topic of patios. I've seen people on here use geotextile fabric between the soil and base stone and base stone and sand whereas others only the soil and base stone. Recommendations? Opinions.

Thanks for any help. Looking forward to this project and if I can remember the camera I'll take pictures so you hardscaping pro's can evaluate. Hopefully I wont get too many of these :hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

sven1277
04-10-2011, 07:47 PM
Soil stabilization fabric is only used between the sub base and compacted base. A mini skid would work fine. It will take longer than a larger piece of equipment. I like to use a mini ex. I have more control. A full sized skid would dig it and move pallets around too.

MDLawn
04-10-2011, 09:24 PM
Good points. As long as my supplier has a fork to unload pallets then I can get them real close. If not I'll need to get the fullsize.
Posted via Mobile Device

DVS Hardscaper
04-10-2011, 09:46 PM
You can do this with a Dingo. No mini-ex needed for a patio. I know folks here used them for such, but I think that's more of someone goin out and buyin a toy and now they're using it since they got it!!

How will you get the aggregate from the front to the back? This is where a skid steer comes in handy.

We do 2 layers of fabric as you mentioned, and have done so for the last not 2, not 8, not 4 1/2, but the last 15 years. Yes folks, this SPRING marks our 15th year installing pavers for my almost 21 yr old company! Whoo Wee, I am a freakin paver GOD :) And we will ALWAYS do TWO layers. This derives from what I saw with our first ever paver job, which was a job that entailed us re-building someone elses patio.

MDLawn
04-10-2011, 09:54 PM
DVS,

I've been thinking about that, regarding the aggregate. Bigger bucket with more capacity would be quicker. Dingo could do it just many more trips. Would need to remove a section of fence for skid steer or drive around the house. I think I'm going to try the 2 sections of fabric. Little insurance to stop the sand from migrating into the base.
Posted via Mobile Device

zedosix
04-10-2011, 11:20 PM
You can do this with a Dingo. No mini-ex needed for a patio. I know folks here used them for such, but I think that's more of someone goin out and buyin a toy and now they're using it since they got it!!

You got to be kidding :nono:

SVA_Concrete
04-10-2011, 11:30 PM
Personally on this small I would use a wheel barrow and shovels.

taking down fence to get a rental machine through? only if the ground is super hard.

in my neck of the woods we can excavate and install base for that area in 8 hrs with 2 guys.

DVS Hardscaper
04-11-2011, 12:01 AM
You got to be kidding :nono:

Just throwin some jabs!

Well.....then again, we do have people with 3/4 ton diesels used for estimating and managing......

DVS Hardscaper
04-11-2011, 12:05 AM
with most fencing you can just pop a section out, unless it's split rail or chain link.

I just priced a patio for an end unit town house.

200 SF. We would hand dig. And to get the spoils from the back to the truck out front, and to get the gravel from the front to the back - we would use the compact utility tractor (new holland T1520), not a skid steer. The tractor weighs about 3000#(?) and is easy on the turf, you'd never know we were there.

MDLawn
04-11-2011, 09:38 AM
The patio will be on the right side of the house with the fence only on that side. The left side is open but that means a longer trip going around the house. Plus the fence is a vinyl one so you can take out a huge section if needed. There is a door but I can imagine only a small machine, like a mini skid, would fit through.

I understand that it is smaller area and could be hand dug but like DVS said its getting the stuff to the dump trailer and getting the aggregate to the patio area. I'm not into shovel and wheelbarrow work if I dont have to be, my back hurts too much from that when I was younger doing that for my friend :) When I did the landscaping at my house I rented a dingo to move 7 yards of topsoil. Took about 1.5hrs to move it, rather than 7 by hand. Again I appreciate the answers, just want to make sure I get this done right and efficiently.

MDLawn
04-11-2011, 09:42 AM
Personally on this small I would use a wheel barrow and shovels.

taking down fence to get a rental machine through? only if the ground is super hard.

in my neck of the woods we can excavate and install base for that area in 8 hrs with 2 guys.

It's only me and I already have a budget from my bro. Using this as an experience builder more than anything so I may take a machine to replace the 2 laborers you have. I like to see the time frames for this stuff, lets me see how far off I might be from guys doing this a long time. Probably going to be off quite a bit with the "Duh" learning factor I'm going to go through. :dizzy::laugh:

zedosix
04-11-2011, 10:20 AM
excavate and install base 300sq.ft. (actually 336sqft. with overdig) and all material brought to back, patio screeded ready to lay, one day 3 men.
one day supply and install material with restraint edging 2 men, including clean up.

cecilmac
04-11-2011, 10:22 AM
Dvs wh at do u have against 3/4 tons trucks for those of us that do alot of snow there Is no need for something smaller so why by something ur not gonna put to use..
Posted via Mobile Device

MDLawn
04-11-2011, 11:05 AM
excavate and install base 300sq.ft. (actually 336sqft. with overdig) and all material brought to back, patio screeded ready to lay, one day 3 men.
one day supply and install material with restraint edging 2 men, including clean up.

Great information. So 1 day for excavate, base, sand and 1 day for laying, edge, poly sand with a 2-3 man crew. So 1 week sounds good for me :laugh::laugh:

DVS Hardscaper
04-11-2011, 11:07 AM
Dvs wh at do u have against 3/4 tons trucks for those of us that do alot of snow there Is no need for something smaller so why by something ur not gonna put to use..
Posted via Mobile Device

Just jabbing Cecil, don't get your girdle in a twist!

I have plenty use for a 3/4 ton

Posted via Mobile Device

cecilmac
04-12-2011, 12:10 PM
ya dvs just bb myself I wish they made electric 250`s w fuel at the price it is wtf.....
Posted via Mobile Device

DVS Hardscaper
04-12-2011, 12:25 PM
I have a truck that holds 100 gallons.

And a 50 gal transfer tank for off road fuel.

With the truck full and the transfer tank full - I tell people I have $600 cash sitting out on the driveway.

Back in summer 2008 diesel hit $5 / gal here. Then, only 1 tank on the truck got filled.

cecilmac
04-12-2011, 09:13 PM
I hear that we have 5 diesels and 2 gassers...
Posted via Mobile Device