PDA

View Full Version : Plants that Deer don't eat?

Matt Hermann
04-10-2011, 07:28 PM
Need to install a few shrubs in a bed against my customer's house. He wants plants that the deer WILL NOT eat. We live in S. Jersey and the deer are terrible. He also wants about 3-4 shrubs, keeping the price per shrub down, also nothing higher than your knees, but it can eventually grow to be bigger. What do you guys suggest that the deer will not touch? (he wants to stay from rhododendrons). Sorry for all the questions, I'm new to all this.

Matt

Leo the Landscaper
04-10-2011, 07:34 PM
What are the site conditions, other than deer pressure? Sun, shade, well drained or not, directional exposure?

93Chevy
04-10-2011, 09:13 PM
I've never seen a deer eat any boxwood. Japonica are also deer-resistant, however not foolproof.

jbc1013
04-10-2011, 09:23 PM
Here's a good link from Cornell U. http://www2.dnr.cornell.edu/ext/info/pubs/Wildliferesistance%20of%20woody%20ornamentla%20plats%20ot%20Deer%20Damage.pdf
They classify them into "rarely damaged", and so on. For evergreen, low growing, I think ilex glabra is a good choice. Boxwood are another they rarely eat, and there are a number of low growing varieties. Abelia is another, and has some flowers in the summer. For deciduous, spirea and buddelia are but a few of the resistant shrubs out there.

Matt Hermann
04-11-2011, 01:58 PM
Any other ideas?
Posted via Mobile Device

Mark Oomkes
04-11-2011, 02:21 PM
Evergreen?

Any of the hollies are good choices.

Pyracantha? Not sure on this one, but I can't imagine they would.

Groomer
04-11-2011, 02:29 PM
artificialus plasticus.

ron mexico75
04-11-2011, 02:33 PM
1. Aronia arbutifolia ‘Brilliantissima’ (Brilliant Red Chokeberry) Grows to 6 or 8 ft. in height

2. Buxus ‘Green Mountain’ (Green Mountain Boxwood) Evergreen shrub; upright, 5 ft. high and 3 ft. wide

3. Clethra alnifolia (Summersweet) 6 to 8 ft. height with 4 to 6 ft. spread

4. Cotoneaster apiculata (Cranberry Cotoneaster) Low growing (3 ft.)shrub

5. Fothergilla gardenii (Dwarf Fothergilla)

6. Itea virginica (Virginia Sweetspire)

7. Myrica Pensylvanica: (Northern Bayberry)

As others have said; soil, sun etc will contribute to what you should plant in addition to being deer resistant. Also, maybe anything in the Taxus genus such as a dwarf member.

Mr. Fixer Upper
04-11-2011, 05:05 PM
Cannabis Sativa?

Leo the Landscaper
04-11-2011, 05:09 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Leo the Landscaper
04-11-2011, 05:10 PM
Deer love taxus and will eat fothergilla to the ground. What are your site conditions?
Posted via Mobile Device

Hook and Ladder
04-11-2011, 06:01 PM
artificialus plasticus.

I think I just peed a little.........:laugh:

ron mexico75
04-11-2011, 09:24 PM
Deer love taxus and will eat fothergilla to the ground. What are your site conditions?
Posted via Mobile Device

This is what I was referring to Leo. (Cephalotaxus harringtonia 'Prostrata')

http://www.wilsonbrosnursery.com/Plants/Shrubs/Foliage-Shrubs/Yews/Yew-Spreading-Plum-Yew.aspx

As far as the fothergilla I was wrong on that. Shouldn't have posted that.
Posted via Mobile Device

agrostis
04-11-2011, 11:04 PM
Matt - I am going to try mountain laurel here at home. The deer do not like it at all and it is evergreen. 5-6 ft. mature height. it needs a shady zone 6 environment. You should try this link - http://njaes.rutgers.edu/deerresistance/ - this list seems pretty accurate.

ajslands
04-11-2011, 11:12 PM
They make dear repellant or you might have some luck pissing around the property.
Or tell them to buy a sugar cub or put corn down then they won't eat the shrubs.
If you would like to get a fine, shoot them!
Posted via Mobile Device

Leo the Landscaper
04-13-2011, 06:26 PM
This is what I was referring to Leo. (Cephalotaxus harringtonia 'Prostrata')

http://www.wilsonbrosnursery.com/Plants/Shrubs/Foliage-Shrubs/Yews/Yew-Spreading-Plum-Yew.aspx

As far as the fothergilla I was wrong on that. Shouldn't have posted that.
Posted via Mobile Device

Got ya! That is a great plant! The plum yew that is.

Fothergilla is often listed a deer resistant. Deer will pretty much leave them alone when the ground is not snow covered but with snow deer will eat all the way to the ground. If their mature they usually will sucker. But you dont get snow I am guessing.

SMC
04-20-2011, 11:08 PM
In Connecticut there are only a few shrubs the deer will not eat. Boxwood, Andromeda, Alberta Spruce. It is rare that they will eat Colorado Spruce. American Holly is usually a safe bet.

sgbotsford
08-01-2012, 12:50 PM
Yew, for shady areas.

I have shelterbelts and have an overwintering deer herd that can number up to 80 hoofrats:

The following species have survived well:
1. Chokecherry.
2. Redosier dogwood
3. Sea buckthorn
4. Villosa lilac
5. Siberian Crabapple
6. Toby hawthorn
7. Green Alder
8. Arctic blue willow
9. Pussywillow
10 Common osier willow
11. Golden willow.

Note that deer have regional tastes.

Also: Having dogs in your yard does a lot to discourage deer. It's almost never a problem here except during late winter, when the easy stuff is gone, or burried under the snow.

Companion planting with aromatics may help. Lavender, mint, basil, thyme.

Ultimately deer will eat anything rather than starve. Deer fence has to be at least 8 feet high, and either opaque or invisible. (They don't see well and if they can't tell where the top of the fence is, they won't try it. They also won't jump a fence if they can't see their landing spot.) They are very good at crawling under fences however, so bury the bottom edge, or overlap it with burried chicken wire.

A 0.303, or even a .270 is also effective, but may annoy your neighbors.

SMC
08-04-2012, 09:24 AM
In Connecticut, the only deer resistant evergreen shrubs are:
Boxwood, Andromeda, Dwf Alberta Spruce. Boxwood sounds like the best option for your situation.
The other option would be to plant things that the deer eat and apply a repellent in the fall to protect them during the winter. Deer will only eat evergreen shrubs from December to March.

sgbotsford
08-04-2012, 09:27 AM
Deer will eat the candles of pine, and the growing buds of spruce in spring.

agrostis
08-04-2012, 11:46 AM
I'm interested in any deer resistant plant there is. Those animal's are a real problem, vegetable garden's and almost all flower's are completely out. Just about anything is deer food if they are hungry enough. You can't shoot a gun in this city's limit's. I see deer every day. There just isn't a good answer for this.

Mark Oomkes
08-04-2012, 11:56 AM
You can't shoot a gun in this city's limit's. I see deer every day. There just isn't a good answer for this.

Sure there is, either a bow or crossbow. ;)