PDA

View Full Version : How many of you use two-way radios?

kirkmbrown2001
04-10-2011, 08:40 PM
Hey everyone!

I wanted to know how many of you guys use two-way radios to communicate to your crews. I am thinking of getting a set so I can communicate to my new, non-experienced employees when I can't be there helping them. Have you had much success with them or do they usually lose, damage, leave them in the truck?

Here is the set I was thinking about purchasing: http://amzn.com/B001WMFYH4

Thanks for your help!

kirkmbrown2001
04-12-2011, 12:45 PM
Bump...........

GreenI.A.
04-12-2011, 10:24 PM
you do realize you wont get that 36 mile range right? They will work good if you are in the same area working on a large commercial/hoa property, but you wont be talking to the guys across town

Snyder's Lawn Inc
04-12-2011, 10:37 PM
I run busniess band

ajslands
04-12-2011, 11:33 PM
If you want a two way radio, get the motorola the one that's a phone also. I can't remember what it's called though.
Posted via Mobile Device

kirkmbrown2001
04-12-2011, 11:42 PM
you do realize you wont get that 36 mile range right? They will work good if you are in the same area working on a large commercial/hoa property, but you wont be talking to the guys across town

Yes, I have read the reviews on Amazon. The main reason for a shorter range is the topography, (hills, mountains) and the number of people using radios in the area. I have two things going for me that will help it a little. I live in farm country where it is relativly flat and 2, Unlike the city, I wouldn't think that many people use radios out here.

I know that for the particular model I posted, it has some restricted channels that you need an FCC license for. That will give you a much farther range. I don't beleive the license fee is outrageous and I think it lasts for 5 years. Please correct me if I am wrong!

ajslands
04-12-2011, 11:45 PM
Why not just give them a cell phone?

I think it's called motorola PTT (push to talk)
Posted via Mobile Device

kirkmbrown2001
04-12-2011, 11:53 PM
Why not just give them a cell phone?

I think it's called motorola PTT (push to talk)
Posted via Mobile Device

First: A cell phone is WAY more expensive

Second: I wouldn't want them using my minutes to talk to their friends, with
radios, they can't.

Third: I literally just hired them! I'm not gonna trust someone with my cellphone until I get to know them better!

GreenI.A.
04-13-2011, 07:36 AM
You can get cheap phones added to most plans and you can easily restrict the numbers they can call. Pay $10 for each line and set it so they can only call your phones and 911. And if they can only call your lines then it wont use any minutes
Posted via Mobile Device

zimmatic
04-15-2011, 12:58 PM
I use motorola maxtrac. They are the 45watt models. they reach about 20-25 miles depending on the terrain. If I had the 3' antenna's vs the 18" I would get better coveage. Also if you can get the 60+ watt models they will go further. These radio's are selling cheap because everyone is upgrading. Make sure not to be on someone elses frequncy or emergency channels othewise the radio police will come find you. I run 5 radio's without a license. We dont chatter on them all the time but it is nice to use them especially when plowing. I am not going to get a license either. If I was going to get a license I would get a repeater and go the full radio route. However depending on what city you are in there are companies that rent their repeaters and you can cover an entire metro area. they also rent radio's etc and you would be on your own business ban setting so you wouldnt hear other people.

AI Inc
04-15-2011, 04:54 PM
You can get cheap phones added to most plans and you can easily restrict the numbers they can call. Pay $10 for each line and set it so they can only call your phones and 911. And if they can only call your lines then it wont use any minutes
Posted via Mobile Device

My laborers phone is PTT only , no cell.

kirkmbrown2001
04-15-2011, 05:20 PM
The only problem I see is that my workers are currently seasonal. Just doing mulching for now but that could change. With the phones, they usually make you sign a contract and you have to pay it until your contract is up even if there is no need for it at a given time.