PDA

View Full Version : Landscape software

DLONGLANDSCAPING
04-10-2011, 11:02 PM
I have two questions for you. I am looking at landscape software for my design side of my business. I have been in love with the concept of doing digital plans and proposals of clients properties and i need a good program. Right now i am using google sketchup for free, which is mainly why i am using it. I bought the program that apple had for my mac and it was a POS and gave you fake looking plants and not the right size or zone.

I mostly am doing hard structures on sketchup but need to do softscapes and irrigation as well. I was considering getting dynascape because a lot of buddies use it and i have had good experiences from that program with my school, but at the cost of 2700 dollars plus 150 per year for licensing and everything, its very steep. Its hard to sell landscape plans because so many people are not charging for designs and no one wants to pay for a proposed plan in my area do to that reason. Unless its a 30K plus job where the smaller businesses cant even complete a job that size.

Do you have any recommendations for a good landscape design software. I have a mac but would consider getting a pc if the right program comes about.

Here are some designs i have done with google sketchup. The problem is there is no color selections and different stone selections and there are no plants availble or landscape components.

jeffslawnservice
04-11-2011, 08:07 PM
I think there is a way to get plants and other specific types of block and hardscape stuff in there. I went to a Belgard workshop and they did a quick demo through schetch up. search schetch up on google and there is a way that you can get plants and stuff to download for free.

RPM90
04-12-2011, 11:24 PM
I'm in the same boat as you, I'm looking to either get Pro Landscape or try VizTerra cause its only 95 a month so idk what I'm going to do yet but I need something cause were biding against brickman on a landscape construction job.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
04-13-2011, 11:13 AM
i have found the right clients want a professional done landscape rendering. Which sketch up will not do unless you sit on a computer for 48 hours creating each plan. I am now using the belgard stone selection components for my small designs, but for large designs i am forced to do everything by hand.

I guess when landing a 50,000 dollar job you can put some of your profit toward that program but with most of these programs its a yearly or monthly charge to use them, ontop of a major downpayment.

PaperCutter
04-13-2011, 06:45 PM
Whatever version of SU you're using, it's probably newer than v 6. Here are a bunch of components provided by SketchUp (Google): http://sketchup.google.com/intl/en/download/bonuspacks6.html

Also, the 3D Warehouse has a bunch. You know how to drop them in from the warehouse, right? File -> 3D Warehouse -> Get Models.

If you're getting a lot of use from it, consider buying components. I've bought plant packs from Entourage Arts, and I just subscribed to FormFonts. FormFonts is $199/year and is awesome.

I know some people swear by doing plan drawings in SU, but that's not its strength.

CJCuttingEdge
04-23-2011, 12:41 AM
Have you checked out Realtime Landscaping its pretty good and not a fortune to buy

TXBIZMAN
06-07-2011, 01:31 PM
I am selling my Pro Landscape software, if anyone is interested please reply to this post. It's 2 years old, new $1499, I'll sell for $800 and Pro Landscape says that the new customer will receive the benefits once they re-register under their name, only $100.