PDA

View Full Version : Free fall cleanup

DocClark
04-11-2011, 02:12 AM
I am thinking about advertising on my door hangers this year offering Free fall cleanup for all my new lawncare customers as a way to get new Biz. Of course they would be limited to 4 hours of work which is $160 value. I'm wondering if anyone has done this? Also curious what the thoughts were if you think is is a good idea?

ACA L&L
04-11-2011, 02:44 AM
Dont think thats sumin i would do, the costs and hassle wold be very tricky to to schedule for us. We are so busy from the start to the end of leaf season. We are already having trouble getting them all done before christmas, i couldnt imagine doing 10 or 15 for free.

Get Some...
04-11-2011, 03:11 AM
Working for free is not very profitable......but some folk's work for free even thou they still charge a fee.....:)

DocClark
04-11-2011, 03:29 AM
I hear you guys. I'm torn on what to do. I think that it would bring some business and the cost would be minimal. Most of our yards don't have many trees and the spring cleanups take about 1 hour to complete with one person. I really want to extablish a decent amount of lawncare accounts so I don't have to do as much landscaping work but I'm having trouble getting this accomplished.

Do you guys think that this would drive new business at all?

Wright48
04-11-2011, 07:10 AM
Once your pegged as cheap youll always have the reputation theres other ways of drumming up bussiness besides doing stuff for free offer a 10 percent discount on the clean up or somthhing but free your crazy for doing that

vencops
04-11-2011, 08:04 AM
Look at it this way.....

Let's say you up your price for weekly lawn service by $5/wk for the season (for the folks wanting accepting this promotion). Figure 36 cuts.....and you're looking at $180.00. Now, are you really out anything?

I like it. Good luck.

knox gsl
04-11-2011, 08:28 AM
Look at it this way.....

Let's say you up your price for weekly lawn service by $5/wk for the season (for the folks wanting accepting this promotion). Figure 36 cuts.....and you're looking at $180.00. Now, are you really out anything?

I like it. Good luck.

I agree with this and any cheapos will have to stay and pay all season to get the free service. If you are a new startup business this may work well, just don't think that you have to give away something free all the time to get work.

32vld
04-11-2011, 09:25 AM
When I see a free offer followed by small print it makes me think what is to good to be true is not.

Then the next thought is this guy is a crook, stay away from him.

Good work at a good price will sell it self. Free only will bring in the customer that is only a price shopper and will drop you in a moment to save one dollar.

greenstar lawn
04-11-2011, 09:26 AM
Free fall clean-up? No i don't like it. Once you start offering a free service they are going to expect other things for free. Why not just offer one free cut with a signed contract or something? Fall clean ups are a pain the the arse and take way to long to offer it for free. Plus you have to pay your employees, gas, dump fee, insurance, tax. If they keep you for next season are you going to do it for free then? what about the season after that? People are way to desperate in this industry.

LawnGuy35
04-11-2011, 09:45 AM
You'll be hatin' yourself when it's time for the "free" cleanup and you realize you're getting paid ZERO for cleaning up all those leaves (as others have said, fall cleanups can be a beeeatch). If you want to offer anything, maybe offer a percent off their fall cleanup...15-20%. Or perhaps a "new customer special"...25% off their first mow.

DocClark
04-11-2011, 10:21 AM
Vencops and Greenstar might be onto something. Even by raising the price by $2.50 per week then that is roughly $90 per season. Being that the average clean up here is 1 hour, that would actually be a profit. On the rare occasion it does take the 4 hours then I'm only out $70 gross and a net of maybe $10.

I do agree with the cheap part, but do you think that if the weekly prices are inline with the average LCO, do you think customers would view this offer as being cheap, or that we are trying to get new business?

stan the man
04-11-2011, 10:28 AM
know way. that i do free clean up.there is a lot time in up clean up. time is money

DocClark
04-11-2011, 10:46 AM
so it seems the jury has spoken. I'm focusing on more Landscaping this year but I would really like to extablish at least 15 more lawncare customers. It looks like this idea is not the most brilliant I have had! Back to the drawing block. Thanks for the input!