PDA

View Full Version : Trailer set up

Frue
04-11-2011, 09:33 AM
we always talk about what mowers are the best but i would like to hear about the trailer set up. Whats the best size, enclosed, open, and even through some pics up.

I am looking to update after ten years. I am also wanting to haul 2 z's with baggers and 1 push mow. I will post my pics soon. Give it to me guys!

Frue
04-11-2011, 05:34 PM
anybody lets get some feed back.

G. Ramey
04-11-2011, 09:25 PM
I would say it depends on the size of truck your useing as to enclosed or open. One of the lawn guys around here pulled a 14 ft enclosed with a half ton for a couple of years and had to rebuild the tranny twice. Now he pulls the same trailer with a three quarter ton and doesn't have any problems. I pull a 16ft open trailer, primarily because of fuel prices. I'm sure an enclosed would take more fuel. As far as size goes a 16 foot trailer will carry two ztrs easily. I don't know how much more room those baggers will take up. I used to put two zero turns on a twelve foot trailer. It wasn,t easy I had to pick up the front end of the first mower and turn it sideways on the trailer, then I could pull the second one on. If your going to pull two ztr and a push mower I would go 16-18 foot.

dougdm
04-11-2011, 09:57 PM
I have a 16' open tandem axle and am looking to add another smaller trailer, possibly a 12' with a 4' side gate, single axle. I have a ztr, wb and a 20 push, I believe that would serve my small sub streets better than the big wide trailer. I have a shop to park in, so the enclosed would be nice, but not a necessity for me.

minilawn
10-20-2011, 04:00 AM
I have had a 4x8 tilt trailer - a 5x10 open with ramp and currently have a 6x12 enclosed.

I would go back to an open for function. Actually selling my enclosed ASAP.

The 5x10 was nearly perfect for my solo op. I had to choose between my wb or ztr for the day... so when I go back to an open, I want a 6x12 for sure. But thats me with one ztr and a small one at that! Hustler mini z 36" love it, just think I can out produce it with my 48" wb

To answer your question, my vote is for an open. Faster on, faster off.

93Chevy
10-20-2011, 07:45 AM
A 24' enclosed that's only 16' long on the outside.

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
10-20-2011, 07:57 AM
We run 16all ft enclosed trailers with a 36. 52. And 21 along with all hand tools blowers trimmers, etc. This works out well for us.
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
10-20-2011, 09:31 AM
I would say it depends on the size of truck your useing as to enclosed or open. One of the lawn guys around here pulled a 14 ft enclosed with a half ton for a couple of years and had to rebuild the tranny twice. Now he pulls the same trailer with a three quarter ton and doesn't have any problems. I pull a 16ft open trailer, primarily because of fuel prices. I'm sure an enclosed would take more fuel. As far as size goes a 16 foot trailer will carry two ztrs easily. I don't know how much more room those baggers will take up. I used to put two zero turns on a twelve foot trailer. It wasn,t easy I had to pick up the front end of the first mower and turn it sideways on the trailer, then I could pull the second one on. If your going to pull two ztr and a push mower I would go 16-18 foot.

i currently have a dodge ram 1500 (half ton) and pull a 14' x 7' enclosed trailer.

i load it with a 36" walkbehind, 21 incher, 52" grandstand, trimmer rack with a trimmer and stick edger on it, a back pack blower and three 2.5 gallon gas cans, oh and a rake rack with 3 rakes on it.

i usually put my 36" in first on the driver side of the trailer, next to it sits the 21 incher, next to that 2 of the gas cans sit and the blower. the rake rack is on the passenger side wall right next to the side door. behind all that is the 52" grandstand. on the passenger side wall next to the 52" is the trimmer rack with trimmer and stick edger. below that sits a gas can.

this gives me the best set up for my use. i mostly use the 52" grandstand it's put in last so i don't have to move equipment i'm not using to get to it. plus when i do need the 21 incher or 36" it's for back yards and the front will get the 52" treatment so it's out anyway.

i will note i have had no trouble pulling the trailer with my truck and i was told by several people before purchasing the trailer that my truck would handle it with no problems what so ever.

i prefer enclosed mostly because of keeping my equipment dry. the only piece of equipment that gets wet is the one i'm using if it does start to rain.

they are also nice to help deter thieft as you can't just drive by and see what you have, you have to actually look inside the trailer to see if theres anything worth stealing. you can also lock the doors.

a side benefit is in an emergency if gives you a place to use the bathroom. now i personally always stop at a gas station if i can to use the bathroom but in an emergency i've been known to use an empty gatorade bottle.

i don't think a 14' trailer is to much for a half ton pick up and i fail to see how pulling one on a daily basis would cause a need to rebuild the tranny.

now plowing snow for parking lots would cause that.

dougdm
10-20-2011, 09:39 AM
Does anyone have any picks of how their setups are.... Looking at a 7x14, open, single axle, side gate (wb&20), rear drop for ztr and somewhere for a decent sized tool box. looking to build this winter. Its going to strictly be for mowing, thought about putting the box about 6' from the front of trailer, and run the ztr up to the box, and the wb/20 infront of the box. i like my extras to be locked up. Any input would be great!!!

Thanks
D

JABBERS
10-20-2011, 10:59 AM
I was putting a 60" ztr and a 60" stand on in a 7x12 ft open trailer it was real tight. I'm putting a 60" ztr and a 52" walk behind and 21" push on a 7x16 Ft open trailer with room. I'm putting 2 ztr's 60" and 72" a 48" walk behind and 22" mower and 2 push blowers on a 8.5' x 20' enclosed with some room left on the sides. I like the enclosed the best plus it doesn't take up room in garage in the winter.

stickleylawncare
10-20-2011, 02:03 PM
I just ordered a 7x14 double axle Vnose. Wanted to upgrade to enclosed for the security, rain, and pulling around a large billboard for the advertising. I would prefer a bit bigger, just for room to grow, but I think this will be spacious enough without being to big to be a pain maneuvering on some of the roads we have to use.

Oh forgot to say, should be plenty of room for a 36" WB, and a 60 lazer, thought we will probably swap the lazer it out for a 52 Turf Tracer next season.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
10-20-2011, 04:35 PM
This was when I put the trailer in service 6 years ago...the only differnce now is not so clean