PDA

View Full Version : which Ford?

mikeklein
09-29-2002, 04:00 PM
I am looking at 2 trucks,first is a 2000 ford f250 reg.cab 4x4,diesel,automatic,it has 89000 on the clock.The second is a 1997 f250 super cab long bed 4x4,5.8 gas,automatic with a snow plow,it has only 60000 miles on it.They are asking 18900. for the diesel and 16400.for the gas.I have checked blue book and they are both in line with asking price.I have never owned a diesel but a friend told me I can expect to get about 250,000 miles out of one.Is this true?I really do not want the gas because of higher MPG.Also what type of routine preventive maintenence is involved with the powerstrokes?Thanks for any help.

Randy J
09-29-2002, 06:26 PM
Which Ford? Neither - get a Dodge instead! (Ha, couldn't resist digging at Gravel Rat and Brickman just a little!) I'm a fan of Diesel, just a little less a fan of a V8 diesel. I would think if taken care of, 250,000 miles wouldn't be out of line for a powerstroke. I would have a competent mechanic check out notorious problem items, such as the glow plugs though. I'm sure Brickman can give you a better heads up on other things to check for on higher mileage Fords. If those check out good, go for the diesel. For 30000 more miles, and 3 years newer, $3500 isn't too bad a premium for the longer life and better fuel mileage.
Randy

Gravel Rat
09-29-2002, 08:06 PM
It all depends on what body style you like and what you are going to use the truck for if your going tobe packing heavyloads in the box or pulling a large trailer most definatly get the diesel.

We really can't tell you what truck to go for its gut instinct especialy for us its site unseen atleast your looking at the right brand never buy a Dodge if your going tobe using this truck hard.

The PSD is a good engine and ya it will last you for a good long time with enough power for what a 3/4 or upto a 550 to haul.

Don't get roped into the Crummins talk that they are easier to work on and last longer thats not the case anymore both engines are electronically controlled and for lifespan don't mean a damn thing especially so up here in B.C. Canada. Our truckshere never really make it to 300,000 miles without dumping endless amounts of money into them. The terrian we have to travel on wears out trucks really quick the repair bills start exceeding what new truck payments would be worth so having a engine that is going to last longer than 300k there is no point. A Dodge Cummins is in the scrap heap at 300K the body is fallen off of it and the rest of the truck is shot you could look at spending more money repairing it trying to keep it together .

The biggest concern with buying a diesel P/U is what the previous owner used it for and did he or she keep up on the maintanance. I would be concerned those miles on the truck were hard ones like pulling a trailer long distances

The 351 gas engine is alright for 150s in a 3/4 ton they are lacking the power they are a small engine so don't expect much from it for go jam.

If I had to decide on which truck to buy I wouldn't beable to I don't have a use for a light truck like a 3/4 ton I need a F-450 to fill my needs for a truck and it would be diesel powered.

Randy J
09-29-2002, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Gravel Rat
The terrian we have to travel on wears out trucks really quick the repair bills start exceeding what new truck payments would be worth so having a engine that is going to last longer than 300k there is no point.

Sounds like a good reason to buy a Ford. J/K.

Randy

hoagie
09-29-2002, 11:28 PM
Things you have to factor into a gas/diesel question...

Don't let gas milage savings sway you... I have a 450 PS w/ 4.88 in the rear and a 350 5.4 gas w/ 4.10, I get way better gas milage w/ the gas engine. Keep in mind though, one is a pickup the other a dumper hauling constantly. BUT the dump w/ out haul the pickup any day of week, gas simply cannot compare w/ PS torque.... and it aint just the difference in rear gearing.

Another biggie is the maintenance headache... 15qts of oil minimum every change, thats 4 GALLONS of oil to buy. Need to buy fuel filters regularly, supplemental coolant additive/test strips every now and then. SCA is a big thing if youre buying a used PS... a good thing to do would be to ask the owner when the last time he tested it and if he added any and how much... pay close attention because the answer will give you tremendous info on how big on maintenance he was. And if the answer is "Oh, I dont know", BYE-BYE.

It's a tuffie... like Gravel Rat said, all depends on what you plan to do w/ it. I use my PS for major hauling/pulling and the gas pickup for crusing around doing fert, plowing and estimates... works out very well. I love both equally, and they both have their own niche in my biz, but they are VERY, very different.

Brickman
09-30-2002, 12:26 AM
I gotta keep Randy's expectations of me up. :D So here goes.

Any body that has been around LS much knows that I am a huge fan of the PS. I have a 2000 PS with 120K. The only warranty work the truck has seen was reverse light switch on the trans, and one trip to the dealers to fix a wiring problem on #7 injector before the 100K engine warranty ran out. The clutch did go around 70K, but I pull hard and wanted to put in a heavy duty clutch when it did go out. Other wise it has been extremely trouble free.

As for the maint, yes it does take 15qts of oil, I use Amsoil heavy duty diesel/marine oil that recomends 12,500 change intervals. To make it easy to remember I change at the 10K marks on the odometer. Another biggy, keep the air filter clean. The PS sucks so much air that a partially plugged filter will make a noticable difference in performance.
And if you want go fast and big horses toys I can hook you up with all kinds. Also www.powerstrokeregistry.com puts out a great PSD mag. You will love it.
Email me if you have any more ???

Paul

GreginAlaska
10-01-2002, 10:18 PM
Forget those 2 fords, this looks like a great deal!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1864299968&rd=1

:D