PDA

View Full Version : landscape borders

djmower
04-11-2011, 03:43 PM
I have a customer that wants to put a standard plastic border around her mulch and landscape. She bought it, thinking she could do it and later asked if I could do it. I believe there are about 60 feet, so I was thinking $1 per foot of installation. Should take me about an hour. Fair?

MMADDUX
04-11-2011, 05:50 PM
I have a customer that wants to put a standard plastic border around her mulch and landscape. She bought it, thinking she could do it and later asked if I could do it. I believe there are about 60 feet, so I was thinking $1 per foot of installation. Should take me about an hour. Fair?

Really? plastic edging? Not trying to be mean but have you ever fooled with that stuff? It is very hard to get level and will not stay put. It comes out of the ground after a while and is all but impossible to get back down. Joints are a major problem area. Not saying it cant be done but there are better materials out there that will look better and last longer. Try to talk her into a better solution. Good luck.

GunnPropertyServices
04-11-2011, 07:15 PM
id say your price sounds fair but maddux is right i have put it down for customers before (old ladies) it goes down easy but looks like crap and doesnt last. try using your edger first cut a line then stick it in

djmower
04-11-2011, 10:20 PM
haha I know, I hate the stuff too. This too is an old lady and I usually do all of her yard maintenance, so there is a good possibility I'll be taking it up for her in a couple of seasons.

ReddensLawnCare
04-13-2011, 10:56 AM
I would try to talk her into either a good bed edger or some other sort of edging. The stuff looks awful and it will make your work look bad as well. I can make it look good for about two weeks but when the temps go up or down...the products expands and contracts SOO much. What are you trying to hold back? If you can do bed edging, it will save you time and her money if you use a bed edger.

Leo the Landscaper
04-13-2011, 07:43 PM
I have yet to come across a manufactured bed edge that can beat a good stand of turf with a cut edge.

Ta8erSalad
04-14-2011, 04:47 PM

I Have black bed edging in my front yard, grass cut edge in the back yard at my home, did the install myself, in Michigan.

The back edges constantly need to be recut to look crisp, grass will creep into the beds.

The front yard edge still looks great after 5+ years, just knock the grass down with a weed whip a couple times a year.

The key to the edging is buying the really thick commercial grade black edging, not sold at most places. I got lucky and found it at Menards. Then, when you install it, make a deep trench, I hand cut mine with the foot(1/2 moon) edge cutter you jump on like a shovel. Back all the dirt out of the hole a couple inches away from edge, place in edging, use STAKES to hold it in place, backfill dirt and level. At the splice, use plastic, black couplers, found them in the sprinkler department. They are just a 4 inch piece of hollow tube for fixing sprinkler lines.

If done right, it will never need to be touched again.

I just wish i would of put the edging around the back yard too.

I have 2+ jobs already this spring that want their grass borders re-edged for a cleaner look + my own back yard.

Looking for the best tool to do the job, other than the foot method.

Bed edger (never used) or Side walk edger set low?

Anyone?