PDA

View Full Version : 12 yard mulch job...Am I high?

BINKY1902
04-11-2011, 06:45 PM
Hey fellows, I am mostly a mowing guy because I stay so busy I don't have time for mulch jobs, but one came up and it would be nice to get off of the mower for a day. Anyway, I maintain beds for some of my maintenance customers, but really most of my customers like to do their own beds. The beds I maintain are quite small. This will be the largest mulch job I've done, and the customer really likes my work on other jobs so they want me to do it. It took a couple of weeks but I am able to get a day open for them. I came out with a price of $900 for 12/yds of cedar mulch installed. That's $75 per yard installed. Seems like a fair price to me, and would net me about the same amount as I would make mowing for a full day. It will be myself and a helper completing the work. I normally don't check out what others are currently charging, but I want my prices to be fair, because I don't do mulch jobs every day. Thanks guys.

Edit: The beds are almost bare now, so very little prep work will be involved. The beds are pretty thick with larger plants, so there will be a high amount of mulching around obstacles involved.

catslandscape
04-11-2011, 06:56 PM
I have a set price of around $4.50 per 2cf bag delivered and installed. Some say I'm high and some say I'm low. So at 13.5 2cf bags per cubic yard you are looking at around 165 bags, or $742. In my neck of the woods yours is a reasonable price.

Good luck!

stephen424
04-11-2011, 07:05 PM
depends on how much you're getting the cedar for. cedar is usually the highest of the mulches here in charlotte, around $34/yard contractor price. i charge $30/yard for labor.

and don't forget the $60 - $75 delivery charge

wiselandscaping
04-11-2011, 07:29 PM
Hey fellows, I am mostly a mowing guy because I stay so busy I don't have time for mulch jobs, but one came up and it would be nice to get off of the mower for a day. Anyway, I maintain beds for some of my maintenance customers, but really most of my customers like to do their own beds. The beds I maintain are quite small. This will be the largest mulch job I've done, and the customer really likes my work on other jobs so they want me to do it. It took a couple of weeks but I am able to get a day open for them. I came out with a price of $900 for 12/yds of cedar mulch installed. That's $75 per yard installed. Seems like a fair price to me, and would net me about the same amount as I would make mowing for a full day. It will be myself and a helper completing the work. I normally don't check out what others are currently charging, but I want my prices to be fair, because I don't do mulch jobs every day. Thanks guys.

Edit: The beds are almost bare now, so very little prep work will be involved. The beds are pretty thick with larger plants, so there will be a high amount of mulching around obstacles involved.

That's a decent price for an installed yard of cedar mulch at a residence.
You can make sure your price is where it needs to be by adding up all of your expenses (mulch costs, labor, fuel, delivery fee if you're having it trucked to the site, worker's comp, overhead, etc.) and subtracting that from what you're going to charge. Once you have figured out how much you'll clear, divide that number by what you are going to charge the consumer. That is your gross profit percentage. We usually shoot for a 35%-40% gross profit margin.

I hope this helps. :usflag:

Lux Lawn
04-11-2011, 07:35 PM
I would probably charge $900 if there is no prep work and little to mulch around. Yes I understand there will be bushes, but I mean alot of perennials to go around.

RIprop
04-11-2011, 07:43 PM
We charge about a 100/yd installed up here. We're on the higher end of the pricing spectrum but it does include edging and prep. work. Sometimes it can be higher.. all depends on the property layout (hills, tough gates, lots of small plants to work around, etc.)

I would say your price sounds fair, but it all depends on your area and I don't know what pricing is like around there.

dKoester
04-11-2011, 07:52 PM
I'm at $1020.

BINKY1902
04-11-2011, 07:54 PM
Thanks guys. Yeah I'm going to be charging $75 for delivery. I think I'm at a fair price. I just set my normal rate to the job, plus supplies, minus what I charge out for my mower running. I used to have time to do a decent amount of landscaping work, but with a full mowing route I no longer do. I actually installed one of the large beds on this job I'm referring to. I put it in a few years ago for them, and also done some retaining wall work for them. I just have moved more towards the mowing side and normally have to pass on the this type of stuff now, which is why I wanted to check and see if my prices are still competitive. I even have a rig that I bought just for landscaping work, an older 454 dually with a 16" trailer, but it just stays parked because I run my mowing route with a more fuel efficient setup.

dKoester
04-11-2011, 08:09 PM
I know how long these jobs take so if I can't make what I do mowing for the day its not worth it. Some people say mulching makes great money compared to mowing lawns. I can't say that about us because our routes are so tight. I'd rather mow and go all day.

stephen424
04-11-2011, 08:35 PM
its simple man....
you've set the price @ $900....so figure profit from there.

the materials are going to cost you $420

that leaves you $480. get someone to help you spread it. two guys can spread 12 yards in 2 hours. if you're going to add delivery, cool...or is that included in the $900?

pay your helper whatever you're going to pay him and pocket the rest.

if you pay him $50...you pocket $430 for 3 hours of work
*2 hour spreading, 1 hour going to get the mulch....
* or if you're having it delivered, $430 for 2 hours of work

wiselandscaping
04-11-2011, 08:51 PM
12 yards spread in 4 man hours is a bit off I think haha

BINKY1902
04-11-2011, 09:13 PM
its simple man....

that leaves you $480. get someone to help you spread it. two guys can spread 12 yards in 2 hours. if you're going to add delivery, cool...or is that included in the $900?

I know what I need to make, and I already know what my profit will be as well. That isn't why I asked the question, I was just seeing if what I would need on the job is competitive with what others charge, with the fact that I have to charge enough to take a day out of the mowing schedule. My prices for mowing services is in the highest 20%, according to my bid results from the last four years. I was just looking at comparing what I have to make to what others have to make for this job. I've done jobs like this years ago, just feeling around to see if I am still on level with others. If a job doesn't meet my rate I don't take it, but here I want to look out for the interest of the customer, so if my price were to seem high I would recommend the customer get another estimate. I don't have time to do this kind of work all the time, so I would basically have to net what I would net for a full mowing day, which may make the price higher than what someone that does beds for a living would charge. I'm really just seeing if I'm giving the customer a decent deal, because I already have plenty of work and first told them I didn't have the time to do it, but the customer really wants me to do it

Get Some...
04-11-2011, 10:19 PM
its simple man....

12 yard's is approx. 75 wheelbarrow's how can you fill and dump and spread 75 wheelbarrow's in two hour's with one guy humpin and one guy spreading?
That's one and a half minute's to fill, push, dump and go back to the pile.......

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Two yard's an hour is a good pace for two men.....that's six hour's.....

stephen424
04-11-2011, 10:21 PM
Get the mulch delivered, get help and knock the job out in 2 hours. That won't take too much time out of your mowing schedule. Make up the yards on saturday...better yet, do the mulch job on a saturday. That way you still get your mowing money + the mulch project profit. Plus you're adding to your portfolio. You may get more mulch jobs...15 yards, 20 yards. Find some guys to spread the next job, pay them $10/hour and you can make a nice profit w/o doing any work
Posted via Mobile Device

stephen424
04-11-2011, 10:34 PM
One more thing...75 wheel barrows?!?!
1 yard = 27 cubic ft
Typical wheel barrow is 6 cubic ft

12 (yards) * 27 cubic ft = 324 cu ft
324 ÷ 6 = 54 (wheel barrows)
Posted via Mobile Device

TurnerLawn&Landscape
04-11-2011, 10:39 PM
stephen there is no way that 2 guys can spread 12 yards in 2 hours. it would take me and my guy 5-6 hours to spread 12 yards depending on how far the runs are from the truck to the beds. so that is 10-12 hours of labor. ive been spreading mulch with a 2 man crew for 10 years and i know that it is impossible to do a good job any faster than what it takes me. i always figure it takes me 1 hour to spread 1 yard, and then base my time estimation on that ratio. I would be around $1200

Get Some...
04-11-2011, 10:44 PM
One more thing...75 wheel barrows?!?!
1 yard = 27 cubic ft
Typical wheel barrow is 6 cubic ft

12 (yards) * 27 cubic ft = 324 cu ft
324 ÷ 6 = 54 (wheel barrows)
Posted via Mobile Device

:weightlifter:

:waving:

stephen424
04-11-2011, 11:03 PM
I get mulch delivered to the site. Less hassle for me, less time from actual work, less gas, no truck bed/trailer cleanup afterwards.
You're going to charge a "delivery" charge anyway...whether its you taking 1 hour out of your day to go get the mulch and deliver or if you have the compnay deliver.
So I let Blue Max deliver it. They give me a time they'll be there and I show up 30 minutes later ready to work.
I usually have it dumped in front of the garage...nice central location.
If I took 6 hours to do 12 yards, with a helper, I'd fire myself.
I'm being serious tho...I knock small mulch jobs like this out in 2 hours. He said no bed prep. Just dump n spread
Posted via Mobile Device

dKoester
04-11-2011, 11:06 PM
No bed prep! There is your key. Probably no edging as well. Pure crap.

BINKY1902
04-11-2011, 11:18 PM
I'm doing the job Thursday, maybe I can get some pics up, and I'll let you guys know how long it took me to get the 12 yards out. Maybe that will settle the argument..lol.

mike174
04-12-2011, 01:04 AM

Fair price for mulch only. What about edging the beds? After a day of spreading 12 yrds of mulch, you'll be happy to jump back on a mower:laugh:

mike174
04-12-2011, 01:10 AM
Also, what sqft are you covering with 12 yards of mulch? Since you don't do it often, just want to make sure you don't over purchase material.

Gmgbo
04-12-2011, 06:25 AM
Last year we spread 12 yards of cedar at house house. It took 4 guys 5 hours with minor edging......if that helps

stephen424
04-12-2011, 06:44 AM
Last year we spread 12 yards of cedar at house house. It took 4 guys 5 hours with minor edging......if that helps

i hope you've fired those guys since

PerfectEarth
04-12-2011, 08:26 AM
Me and my guy can do 6 yards hardwood in about 2.25 to 2.5 hours....that's straight mulching, no edging, weeds, cleanup, etc. He loads, I spread and only load a few times if I catch up to his pace.

We've done it a few times this year out of my dump trailer (with more mulch in the truck, I've just timed the trailer part of it, being a known quantity...) More detailed areas might take a little longer.

BUT, loading up at the nursery, travel, clean-up, etc... that obviously adds time to the day.

hackitdown
04-12-2011, 08:50 AM
We unload from a dump truck directly into two 10 cu/yd wheelbarrows. Then wheel them around and dump mulch into the beds. We can unload 3 cu/yds in about 20 minutes. Then while I'm off to get another load, my helper spreads and rakes it out.

We would do your 12 yard job in under 4 hours with 2 guys. Prep would be extra time and money. I have done 12 yards in 8 hours all alone. But I was younger then.

BlazerRidge
04-12-2011, 08:55 AM
We unload from a dump truck directly into two 10 cu/yd wheelbarrows. Then wheel them around and dump mulch into the beds. We can unload 3 cu/yds in about 20 minutes. Then while I'm off to get another load, my helper spreads and rakes it out.

We would do your 12 yard job in under 4 hours with 2 guys. Prep would be extra time and money. I have done 12 yards in 8 hours all alone. But I was younger then.

You have a 10 cubic yard wheelbarrow?:confused:

stephen424
04-12-2011, 09:00 AM
10 cu ft barrows work great. I need to get another one but don't want to pay $120
Posted via Mobile Device

PerfectEarth
04-12-2011, 09:01 AM
Not knocking anybody specific.... but I would love to see the consistency and quality of some of your ("your" in general) mulch jobs at these rates (if they are in fact honest numbers).

It's not all about moving mulch from truck/trailer to beds. Anyone can do that. But do you take the time to make sure you have an EVEN layer of product on the ground and not 5 inches here and 1 inch over there? That it's not piled around trunks and up in and around the base of plants?? That it's smoothed out for a professional appearance? It's my feeling that there's a lot of mulch being moved here and a crappy job being done... I see it everyday and it looks terrible.

ron mexico75
04-12-2011, 09:05 AM
I moved this by myself on Saturday............8 hours! Should have taken me 4, I looked in the mirror and said...."You're FIRED self!"

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXF56Ui_wj9ujJylFc-eVdVjmDpWM5Fb-yhudSPBnBZpFevqSTdQ

stephen424
04-12-2011, 09:08 AM
No I don't take a pencil and measure the depth of the mulch every few feet. I trust my rake skills, if there's such a thing
Posted via Mobile Device

PerfectEarth
04-12-2011, 09:14 AM
No I don't take a pencil and measure the depth of the mulch every few feet. I trust my rake skills, if there's such a thing
Posted via Mobile Device

Oh there is such a thing! I don't trust guys I've worked with to spread... too sloppy. I do all the bulk, open area spreading on my jobs. I have a special mulch rake- steel handle and a smaller, metal tine head (like 18" I think) and it's my main tool. I don't know what I'd do without it. I can keep a steady 2-2.5" layer of mulch rolling with it.

Amazing how much we put into spreading woodchips on the ground....:laugh::laugh:

Get Some...
04-12-2011, 09:20 AM
Getsome, honest question...
When was your last bulk mulch job?
Posted via Mobile Device

Yesterday........:)

We usually have alot of plant's to work around.....

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss325/martingoodwin56/55-1-1.jpg

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss325/martingoodwin56/55-3.jpg

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss325/martingoodwin56/50-1-2.jpg

That's forty yard's of good mulch, not pallet mulch......:)

But even if the bed's were empty and we used bulk pallet mulch, I could not meet your production rate of twelve yard's in four man hour's.

Cam.at.Heritage
04-12-2011, 09:30 AM
Can't say we have done too many bulk mulch jobs but I never price by a straight Cu/yard and that seems to be what everyone's assumption is based on info given (I didn't read every single post if more info was given). Its a lot quicker putting down 3" over small area then topping up 1" over a large area. I am not sure what conditions are but also agree that it will vary depending on the amount of small perennials to go around.

To each his own, but just my thoughts

RSK Property Maintenance
04-12-2011, 11:37 AM
I would charge 100/ yard installed. that covers everything you could think of.

hackitdown
04-12-2011, 12:37 PM
You have a 10 cubic yard wheelbarrow?:confused:

Sorry, they are 10 cu/ft. Three loads and you have moved a yard.

Fahzu
04-13-2011, 10:02 AM
Your estimate looks a little thin on profit. It's definately a fair price for your customer, but not so much for you. I didn't read all the posts, but what's your delivery method... are you paying the materials yard? Big trailer? I'd bring up the estimate a little.

Birchwood
04-13-2011, 10:05 PM
2 hours for 12 yards seams fast, my 4 guys did 50 yards in 8 hours last week, dumped on the street and wheeled around the house. Some trips were far into the back yard. and all edged the day before.

mattb7771
04-14-2011, 10:08 AM
its simple man....

wow 12 yards in two hours really ?

Lawnut101
04-14-2011, 12:16 PM
Here is my break down:

Mulch: $480
Delivery: $55
Labor: $400-500
Total:$985

Your pretty close to me. My price includes the mulch being marked up, and 2 trips with my 1 ton dump. The guys with a quad axle can deliver in one load, and charge the same amount. So that is why I can only charge that much. Hope this helps a little.

Lawnut101
04-14-2011, 12:19 PM
wow 12 yards in two hours really ?

I don't think so... Unless you have a blower.

Michael J. Donovan
04-14-2011, 02:41 PM
time to move on guys

thanks