PDA

View Full Version : doubles on a consumer mower??

snapper
09-29-2002, 06:32 PM
Has any one ever put doubles on a consumer lawn tractor? I was wondering how well they would work? Or if they would wear out the spindles faster? any thoughts on this subject? Later, snapper.

P&J Lawncare
09-29-2002, 11:17 PM
You probably don't have enough horse power on the average consumer lawn tractor, also if it has a clutch you will burn it up because the clutch's on consumer tractors aren't as heavy duty as the ones on commercial lawn mowers

FrankenScagMachines
10-03-2002, 10:06 PM
Most of the time the deck design or blade speed is not correct. If it isn't an electric clutch you will not have a problem there, except if it wears the belt out quicker. I have tried them on a 32" Toro RER and a 20hp 48" Wheel Horse GT and they made no difference on the RER (it is great with single blade!) and on the GT it just bogged the engine easier (impossible to bog with singles) and made more of a mess and created more blowout than with singles. It was a joke on that one. Both have manual blade clutches. The RER is just a vbelt clutch and the GT has a pressure plate dry disc clutch. You just have to try it and see. They probably do better for mulching & shredding leaves than they did for me in grass though, I have OTHER methods of dealing with leaves (30 cu. ft. catcher trailer).
Eric

ERIC ROBERGE
10-06-2002, 12:21 AM
I have a John Deere r70 rider mower I have put doubles on and it does great. However I replaced the factory 8hp engine with a 18hp electric start engine so power is not a problem.
I did have a problem finding a 30inch blade with a 7/16 hole to center it on the blade bolt, however.