PDA

View Full Version : Paperwork Help!!

born2farm
04-11-2011, 09:47 PM
OK guys. Here is my problem. This is my first year doing everything 100% legal and actually running myself like a professional company. I am doing good as far as marketing and getting the work but I feel that I am lackin in the paperwork side of it. I am very picky and organized but I am not sure that I am keeping all of the appropriate paperwork and have a very good system set up. Anybody care to share a brief summary of how they do theirs? Here is what I do now:

1)Print out estimate.
2)Keep copy of estimate in a folder for that customer.
3)When accepted. Give copy of contract to them and keep copy in folder.
4)When completed I bill and keep a copy of the bill with any receipts for the job attached.
5)Once the money comes in, the bill is marked paid with cash or a check # and then filed away and a receipt is written. All expense receipts are filed in the expense folder and the copy of the bill is filed in the income folder.

WheatBookkeeping
04-21-2011, 03:17 PM
Wow! you are totally organized. You have chosen to start with your customer file which is good. Here are some other files you should consider as your business grows. Organize them just as well and you should be golden.

Donít forget to get started with a real comprehensive bookkeeping system also. It will create electronic files of your financial transactions. A Computerized Bookkeeping System should have the ability to record, categorize, sort, and retain all business financial transactions. Also, it should retrieve, display and report (your financial statements) all transaction.

List of files I have seen maintained by businesses like yours: I am sure there are other things to consider - so be on the look out.
1. Customer files (you got this one going already)

2. Vendor files - (guys you buy stuff from)

3. Business Operation type files (files that tell the story of your business)

Bank, credit card and loan records files
Articles of Incorporation, or partnership, or LLC papers (if applicable) files

Taxes filings (your business tax returns only, your personal tax returns are separate and require a separate file)
Federal income tax and payroll tax files
State income tax, sales tax and payroll tax files
Local sales tax file
Physical Assets file
Land
Building(s)
Equipment and tools
Vehicles
Inventories

Licenses and permits file

Employee files - personnel records, W4s, emergency contact info. Etc.
Payroll and time keepping files
Benefits files
Attendance, performance, and job descriptions file

Customer complaints, surveys, and lost sales file
Awards, Community Service, and memberships file
Insurance policies file
Business security and building entry procedures file

Safety meeting materials file
Chemical application, storage, transportation, and compliance file
Business planning and growth ideas file
Logbooks (like vehicle logs and maintenance schedules), route lists, and schedules file
Product and equipment manuals file
Policies and procedures file

As you can see it doesn't take long before your records become a very valuable thing. So, don't fail to store them in a safe (very safe) place, restrict access and make copies for backup.

good luck