PDA

View Full Version : Dethatching/power raking

StBalor
04-12-2011, 07:24 AM
I have a customer that asked for an estimate on dethatching. went and looked at the property and gave an estimate. He accepted.
here it is a few days later and i emailed the client telling hime i would be there to dethatch his lawn thursday morning. he replies
"i do not want the lawn dethatched, i want POWER RAKING"

so i called him telling him they are the same thing, he begins telling me that they are not and refuses to budge.

am i wrong? i always thought dethatching and power raking were the same thing.

EastCoast
04-12-2011, 08:11 AM
They are the same.....that customer just seems like trouble.

Cam.at.Heritage
04-12-2011, 08:16 AM
They are definitely the same thing. If you explain it to him and he still refuses to agree then your probably getting into more trouble then it worth.

Quote from Ryan Turf website.

Ren-O-Thin Power Rake.

Use to rake, dethatch turf or break up aeration cores.

StBalor
04-12-2011, 09:02 AM
Thanks guys, i knew they were the same but this guy had me second guessing myself.

Mr. Fixer Upper
04-12-2011, 12:22 PM
Get a set of static cling decals that say "Power Rake" and "Dethatcher" and put them on the machine depending on the customers needs.

ernieknows
04-12-2011, 07:06 PM
Quote from Ryan Turf website.

Ren-O-Thin Power Rake.

Use to rake, dethatch turf or break up aeration cores.

This a list of three things.
Dethatching is more aggressive than power raking.
Dethatching is going to rip apart the existing lawn
and is good preparation for overseeding and topdressing.
Power raking is to fluff out the dead grass and
cuts some stolons to encourage grass growth.

Dethatching
Dethatching and power raking are both performed with the same machine. The difference in the two services is how deep the cutting knives are set on the dethatcher.

JFGauvreau
04-12-2011, 08:40 PM
... The difference in the two services is how deep the cutting knives are set on the dethatcher.

The height difference with the blades can really make a big difference with the lawn.

I just got 52 new flail blades for my dethatcher, and they are super aggressive on the lawn, so I have to put them to the highest setting.

67ghiaTIV
04-13-2011, 07:07 AM
Sounds like a bonus for you if he accepted the quote for dethatching but actually wants power raking.
Dethatching is more work (slower and a lot more clean up) than power raking. Just ask him his definition to be sure what he is expecting. Also a great time to add seed, fert (dependent on if seeding was done) and topdressing.

Jamie

Smallaxe
04-13-2011, 09:04 AM
Argue over semantics... will it ever stop... :laugh:

betmr
04-13-2011, 12:52 PM
I have always thought of power raking as using a machine like a Harley Rake. And dethatching as using a verticle mower.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-13-2011, 06:02 PM
why argue - just tell him he's right, do your 'power raking', collect your check, and be GONE:)