PDA

View Full Version : Seal over concrete stain?

Neighbor2NV
09-29-2002, 08:27 PM
I just stained my garage floor a DARK gray, I read the directions front to back many times and it never says anything about sealing over the stain? The floor is 25+ years old, I washed/cleaned the surface with BEHR cleaner, then eched with their rust and echer, then a coat of the dark concrete stain. Should I get some BEHR concrete sealer and put it over the top? THX for the help...

TurfGuyTX
09-30-2002, 01:55 AM
I can't say with 100%, but believe a sealant is in order for you. I've seen the picture of your garage, it looks nice. Good luck.

Neighbor2NV
09-30-2002, 01:59 AM
thanks for the help, the floor really makes the garage.... I emailed BEHR and I am waiting on there reply.. here is a pic, I have to do one side at a time but you get the idea..

eskals
09-30-2002, 07:51 PM
I would say the Behr's response will be NO. Their Concrete Sealer is a Silconized product that is designed to penetrate like the Silconized Acrylic concrete stain. If the sealer cannot penetrate, then it will sit on the surface and create a goopy mess.

Eric

Neighbor2NV
09-30-2002, 08:23 PM
this is the email they sent me today....

Bill,
Thank you for your inquiry into Behr products. The #910 One Part Epoxy
Clear can be added for extra durability if desired; however, it isn't
necessary.
Gordon..

so? what do you all think?

eskals
10-01-2002, 12:35 PM
I didn't know that they had a clear in the 1-Part Epoxy. My only concern with adding the epoxy would be what happens when you need to do a maintence recoat in the future? Would you have to off strip off the clear coat before applying the stain again?

Eric

Neighbor2NV
10-02-2002, 03:27 PM
well this is not going to work:( So DONT buy Behr Concrete stain for your garage floor. It WILL lift on to hot tires
I just put down some cheap tile till I decide to do next.... Glad I only did half the garage.. less to strip off later