PDA

View Full Version : Top of the line Fertilizers?

MOW ED
03-22-2000, 03:06 PM
If you were to use the high end granular fertilizer which brand would it be? Why? What is the cost per bag? If it comes in 4 or 5 applications let me know also.

Evan528
03-22-2000, 03:57 PM
i have used many diffrent brands of fertilizer. lesco is the best all the way around. works great and also is quite cheap. a 12,000sq ft bag of reg 32% nitrogen fertilizer is like 12 bucks. a 10,000sq ft bag of a crappy homeowner fert like scotts is 18 or 20 bucks.... <br>

GroundKprs
03-22-2000, 04:03 PM
How high do you want to go? Not much better than Lebanon's Country Club line, fairway grades. Can't find much that costs more either. Someday Scotts or Lesco may be competing in this range.<p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana<br>

lawrence stone
03-22-2000, 04:55 PM
Evan wrote:<p>&gt;lesco is the best all the way around. works great and also is quite cheap. a 12,000sq ft bag of reg 32% nitrogen fertilizer is like 12 bucks. <p>Actually 32-5-7 covers 16k at 1 lb of N per<br>1k.

Lazer
03-22-2000, 10:09 PM
40 lb. bag.

SLSNursery
03-23-2000, 07:49 PM
I have had success with the Scotts ProTurf line (which also comes in golf course grade) and The Anderson's. Both are very consistent and priced fairly. The Anderson's just bought the Scott's ProTurf Line. We sell both at our nursery. We also sell some custom blended Landscaper grade Fertilizer which is comparable to many of Lesco's blends (for instance 24-5-11). For a time we were buying our custom blend from a plant that Lesco purchased. I don't like to put all my eggs in one basket, so I rotate products.<p>----------<br>Phil Grande - Soundview Landscape Supply - http://members.aol.com/slsnursery<br>Ivy League Landscaping - http://members.aol.com/scagrider

greenlawncare
03-24-2000, 10:34 AM
we use scotts, but I went to college with a scotts distrubuter and get it nearly at cost. I'll tell you, are lawns are greener than the lescos.

thelawnguy
03-24-2000, 08:01 PM
I just purchased a load of a house brand, manufactured by Nutrico(?) of Bridgeport CT, looks like Lesco inside and out but cheaper. Ill see what it does, if its ok Ill keep buying it. <p>The Lesco near me pisses me off, he wouldnt give me a price list this year, I had to walk in the store and tell him what I wanted, he loads it on the truck and then tells me the 19-3-7 with pre-M is 16.50 a bag, he can keep it, made him take it off the truck. Landscaper Supply 20-0-5 with Team Pro is $12.99 a bag so thats what I bought. Only real difference, Lesco is 30% Poly coated urea Landscaper Supply is 30% Sulfur coated urea, what lesco used to be.<p>Bill<br>

Lazer
03-24-2000, 09:13 PM
Lesco really needs to have a consitant pricing structure. Make price breaks after 10 bags, 1 pallet, 3 pallets, 10 pallets and then truckload pricing.<p>They piss off everybody! Don't they get it? People like their products, but hate getting jerked around on price.<p>BTW: 19-3-7 50% PPSCU I was quoted $11.50/bag from Lesco. They also make 30% PPSCU, which is less.<p><br>

AtlantaLawn
03-25-2000, 07:23 AM
Regal Checmical Co - Alpharetta Ga - The Best of the best - you need to talk to them - tried them all from lesco, to andersons, to lebannon, to Helena Chemical, to CoRoN, to PrimoStar - REGAL - CHEAP price - TOP RESULTS

fireball
03-31-2000, 06:04 AM
Lazer Two things about a consistent pricing at Lesco. First thing is that they are in different markets across the country and the price of transportation comes into play. They can sell fertilizer cheaper in MA,FL, OH,and CA because that's where it is made. The further away from those points the more expensive it becomes. Secondly, Their computer gives you a price based upon what you purchased from them in the past year. The more you buy the cheaper the unit price. In other words, they are rewarding their better customers. The problem with the single bag, 10 bag, pallet pricing is the one time purchaser can get a better price than a guy that comes in everyday and buys one bag. The one time purchaser bought 40 bags@$10.00 bag. The good customer bought 300 bags@14.50. This isn't fair. The new Lesco system rewards the performers not the bottom feeders who are interested in price only. Of course if you have a large one time order they can get you a competive quote, but this takes a couple of days. The mere fact that you are paying 11.00 for 19-3-6 Pre-m means you must be a performer