PDA

View Full Version : Fla House Bill CS/HS Fertilizer.

Ric
04-12-2011, 05:10 PM
This bill is in the works and has not passed YET. LS Members in Sarasota and Pinellas counties should especially be interested in this bill because it greatly effects their Granola Fertilizer Laws that all the Fruits and Nuts in those area have made.

http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sections/Documents/loaddoc.aspx?FileName=h0457c.CMAS.DOCX&DocumentType=Analysis&BillNumber=0457&Session=2011

Johnagain
04-12-2011, 09:49 PM
I heard a commercial the other day in Marion County FL that any LCO that puts down Fert must have the BMP training, and that all home owners hiring them need to check to make sure they have the license. The commercial almost sounded like the state is actually going to enforce these rules.

Ric
04-13-2011, 12:15 AM
I heard a commercial the other day in Marion County FL that any LCO that puts down Fert must have the BMP training, and that all home owners hiring them need to check to make sure they have the license. The commercial almost sounded like the state is actually going to enforce these rules.

John

Fat Chance of that happening. But I give up on trying to embarrass the State into enforcing the Laws. I learned if you ask the state to enforce the rules they only make it harder on the Legal Guys. Our New Governor said he was going to promote small Business. So he has promoted more Inspections and stiffer fines raised requirement, Paper work and costs in general. Our Pesticide Trucks are now Targeted by the DOT as well as the BEPC(Ag Inspector). But the Illegal who doesn't have a Commercial sign on there truck skate free.

C4chris70
04-14-2011, 08:21 PM
Just got my certificate of completion of my GI BMP class today. I took the class March 3rd and have been stopped by Pinellas County employees 3 times checking for my certificate since taking the class. They have all been pleasant, but becoming a PITA being stopped and checked while trying to finish my work. It should not take almost 6 weeks to find out if you passed.

LGL
04-15-2011, 01:10 AM
I finally took the LCLM exam last week and was told it would be 8 to 10 weeks before I found out the results!

Ric
04-16-2011, 09:53 AM
I finally took the LCLM exam last week and was told it would be 8 to 10 weeks before I found out the results!

LGL

That is a normal wait time for that test. I hold Chapter 487 licenses that deal mostly with Agriculture. Rather than take all those CEU I just retest every 4 years as 487 licenses are 4 year licenses. My wait time is about the same 8 to 10 weeks. However in my case I can take these test up to one year before I renew my licenses. Waiting is never an issue of not having a license if I time it correctly.

ProHortM
04-25-2011, 10:45 AM
The fertilizer bills - CS/HB 457, if they're passed are intended to prohibit a patchwork of local regulations. Otherwise you'll end up with multiple sets of ordinances - all slightly different, within one county. How these laws are enforced remains to be seen. Since the BMP program is under DACS (Dept of Ag & Consumer Services) I would assume the existing DACS inspectors would be responsible.

I expect Manatee County will pass an ordinance before the June 1 deadline. It's likely to look a lot like the ordinances in Pinellas & Sarasota.

Ric
04-25-2011, 11:05 AM
The fertilizer bills - CS/HB 457, if they're passed are intended to prohibit a patchwork of local regulations. Otherwise you'll end up with multiple sets of ordinances - all slightly different, within one county. How these laws are enforced remains to be seen. Since the BMP program is under DACS (Dept of Ag & Consumer Services) I would assume the existing DACS inspectors would be responsible.

I expect Manatee County will pass an ordinance before the June 1 deadline. It's likely to look a lot like the ordinances in Pinellas & Sarasota.

Dave

I am sure you read the report put out by U of F stating how wrong the Local Tree Hugger Ordinances are.

If you or any one thinks Mark Shelby can enforce more laws and areas than he already does, you are all sadly mistaken. Unfortunate Mark already has more than he can handle and while he tries hard he can scratch the surface of Illegal applicators.

I was all for the new state Fertilizer Law until decided to Grandfather in the Granola Nuts.

ProHortM
04-25-2011, 11:32 AM
I agree. Many people are ignoring the science. But does it matter much? Most pros I know wouldn't think of fertilizing much in the summer. The grass grows too fast without it. Iron will make it green without adding to the growth.

I just said DACS (Mark in Sarasota, etc) would be responsible. From what Mark says, he gets specific marching orders from the DACS bosses in Tallahassee. They give him goals on a monthly(?) basis. He has to try to meet those goals. I suspect that after 2014 the goals he will be given will include checking x number of professionals - landscape and pest control - for BMP violators. Who is Ann Madison? I'm new in the county.

Ric
04-25-2011, 02:09 PM
I agree. Many people are ignoring the science. But does it matter much? Most pros I know wouldn't think of fertilizing much in the summer. The grass grows too fast without it. Iron will make it green without adding to the growth.

I just said DACS (Mark in Sarasota, etc) would be responsible. From what Mark says, he gets specific marching orders from the DACS bosses in Tallahassee. They give him goals on a monthly(?) basis. He has to try to meet those goals. I suspect that after 2014 the goals he will be given will include checking x number of professionals - landscape and pest control - for BMP violators. Who is Ann Madison? I'm new in the county.

Dave

You must Not know any Professional CPO because before the Fert Law most all Lawn Care companies were applying Fertilizer in the rainy Season. Sorry but your tree hugging philosophy might do better in the Orgasmic Forum here at Lawnsite. BTW A few of us have degrees from U of F and many years in the business also.

I have no problem with Mark Shelby he is a very down to earth guy and was extremely reasonable when he inspected me. But his job is thankless with way too much area to cover and not enough teeth in the law to let him do the job correctly. The day he inspected me I can guarantee he drove past 20 illegal applicators only to give me a clean bill on my inspections. But such is the Bureaucratic system.

Ann Madison is a name you should of heard of and trust me you will hear from at some point now that you moved a little farther South. She is the Head Granola Nut and is very active in giving everyone a Hard time. Any one wanting to apply Pesticide with in 1/2 mile radius of 2290 Clematis St Sarasota must first Notify Ann Madison. That right a 1/2 mile radius.

C4chris70
04-25-2011, 10:30 PM
We were told by the Pinellas county extension that DACS is not responsible for enforcing the BMPs, in fact they wanted no part of it. This ordinance is enforced by county employess. We have been stopped twice so far by regular county workers.

Ric
04-25-2011, 10:55 PM
We were told by the Pinellas county extension that DACS is not responsible for enforcing the BMPs, in fact they wanted no part of it. This ordinance is enforced by county employess. We have been stopped twice so far by regular county workers.

Chris

Pinellas and Sarasota counties both have local Fert Ordinances that are not recognized by DACS and therefore are not enforced by them. The current house bill is to create a state uniform Fertilizer Law. That Fertilizer Law will fall under the states responsibility to enforce or the DACS.

In other words get a License and Rick Scott's campaign platform to make Florida business friendly, will be sure to inspect you and regulate the heck out of you. However don't get a license and no one will bother you.

Laws should be written to be reasonably acceptable and enforceable. The current Tree hugger fertilizer Ordinances of Sarasota, Pinellas and several other counties are neither Reasonable or Enforceable. This is just another Prohibition and benefits Al Capone lawn care.

ProHortM
04-27-2011, 11:46 AM

The state statute doesn't kick in until 2014 - until then there's nothing for the state to regulate. So, if Pinellas wants any regulation they have to do it themselves. More details here:
http://fyn.ifas.ufl.edu/professionals/BMP_overview.htm

Ric
04-27-2011, 12:08 PM
The state statute doesn't kick in until 2014 - until then there's nothing for the state to regulate. So, if Pinellas wants any regulation they have to do it themselves. More details here:
http://fyn.ifas.ufl.edu/professionals/BMP_overview.htm

Dave

I am sure you know but for others, North Port Fla. in Sarasota County South of you has a city Fert ordinance that is stricter than the Sarasota Fert ordinance. I have heard Roomer that the city is in fact stopping commercial pesticide trucks and fining them for illegal Fertilizer. Some how I didn't go back to college in my late 50's to be in the illegal contraband business.

BTW Your E mail news letters are Great and help keep us up to date especially on the laws as well as other things. May I suggest you post them here where they will reach more than just a select state wide audience. I am sure Lawsite will appreciate any of your in put because your credentials add credibility to their site. Be sides I can have fun busting your bubble on the tree hugger stuff. :hammerhead:*trucewhiteflag*

Kiril
04-27-2011, 12:29 PM
Be sides I can have fun busting your bubble on the tree hugger stuff.

Too bad you can't "bust any bubbles" with credible and substantiated information. :rolleyes:

ProHortM
04-27-2011, 02:00 PM
If I understand correctly Ric, you're a PCO. Maybe that explains why you're bustin my chops on the tree hugger crap. Maybe not.

Ric
04-27-2011, 03:46 PM
If I understand correctly Ric, you're a PCO. Maybe that explains why you're bustin my chops on the tree hugger crap. Maybe not.

Dave

This is the 21th Century and I am a strong believer in BRIDGE programs that use the best from both world. But don't tell me Corn Gluten is a substitute for Asulox.

I prefer to be called a CPO and in 4 categories instead of a PCO. I had more credential but elected not to renewing many of them as I am age 70, like FNGA and ISA etc. I was also a Licensed Irrigation contractor at one time.

BTW you will have a Tree Hugging Granola Nut friend in Kiril who Posted above you. Sorry but I can't read what he said. I have him on the Ignore hack because I feel his input is worth just that.

Kiril
04-27-2011, 04:30 PM
Sorry but I can't read what he said. I have him on the Ignore hack because I feel his input is worth just that.

Good move Ric ..... you wouldn't want to know just how uninformed you are now would you. :laugh:

In the event you do read this .... I recommend you refrain from commenting on soils and irrigation ..... your lack of knowledge in these areas is abundant.