PDA

View Full Version : Pre-emerge herbicide and Sod

LazyWeekends
09-29-2002, 09:07 PM
I have a potential customer who, about 3 weeks ago, tilled up some soil and raked it out nicely and sowed Tall Fescue. Well now he has more nutsedge than fescue and wants to sod.

My plan is to kill what is there with Roundup and then lightly till it, fertilize and sod with tall fescue. I am concerned about the nutgrass creating the same problems as before so my question is - can I put down a pre-emerge herbicide without hurting the sod, and if so what chemical do you recommend. I know I can use Image or Manage as a post-emerge but I would prefer to use pre-emerge.

I would really appreciate any thoughts/advice. Thanks

Ryan Lightning
09-29-2002, 09:29 PM
He probally already germinated most of the weeds. Id just spray the manage, and sod. The premergent would keep the sod from rooting, I would think.
Also the sod should have some fertilizer from the sod farm, Ive been told to wait 3 are 4 mows before you fertilize.

GroundKprs
09-29-2002, 11:43 PM
He probably did the tilling & seeding originally because of the nutsedge. If there is that much nutsedge now, it must have been well established there for years. Do not even think you will eliminate it with Roundup, or any other herbicide, in a single application. In a well established nutsedge, expect to apply Manage once or twice a year for several years to see a significant reduction in population.

The problem is the tubers, or "nuts" in the underground root system. You never get any herbicide to translocate to all of them, and each surviving tuber will sprout a new plant next year, or later this year if treated early. See http://www.agry.purdue.edu/turf/pubs/agry9804.htm. And no preemergent will control the tubers. They only control germinating seeds. And a preemergent on sod will severely inhibit rooting of the sod.

Good step to fertilize, then sod. I would mix the fert in a few inches with the tiller, and use a good starter fert high in P. This draws the roots down from the sod, getting it established quicker. Fert on top of new sod will somewhat ****** root growth, since the roots don't need to grow because the food is right there in the thatch of the sod.

LazyWeekends
09-30-2002, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the input, I will just have to warn the customer that he has an ongoing battle with the nutgrass and we will have to control it over the long term.

LawnPro in NC
10-02-2002, 12:08 AM
Don't spray image on fescue........:cry:

greenman
10-02-2002, 01:21 AM
basagran (betazon) is supposed to work well.