PDA

View Full Version : Will this work

Roachy
04-13-2011, 12:43 AM
One of my new customers wants me to seed some small bare patches in his lawn. The only problem is that he said he just put down a crabgrass pre emergent a couple days ago. I was thinking about buying a bag of topsoil and putting down a small layer overtop of the dirt and then putting the seed on that. Do you think this will work?

ashgrove landscaping
04-13-2011, 12:51 AM
sure. why not. grass will grow easily this time of year. Just water it

1MajorTom
04-13-2011, 12:55 AM
No! do not listen to the above posting.
Grass seeds will not germinate if pre-emergent has been applied.

ashgrove landscaping
04-13-2011, 01:06 AM
Yes they will. You are putting topsoil on top. Dig up the ground before you add the top soil if you re really worried. It will be fine. Grass will grow.

jbrows
04-13-2011, 05:53 AM
Ive had success putting topsoil over pre, its only a few spots not a big deal

Smallaxe
04-13-2011, 08:16 AM
If its a couple of days ago and was granule the chemical may not even been washed into those spots, s walking through with a handheld blower you could eliminate the worry over those spots...

Understanding that pre-m is a chemical root inhibitor that will kill seedlings IF taken up into the seedling as it is trying to grow. Diluting with compost and roughing up the surface will help a larger number of seedlings survive... :)

Roachy
04-13-2011, 10:49 AM
If its a couple of days ago and was granule the chemical may not even been washed into those spots, s walking through with a handheld blower you could eliminate the worry over those spots...

Understanding that pre-m is a chemical root inhibitor that will kill seedlings IF taken up into the seedling as it is trying to grow. Diluting with compost and roughing up the surface will help a larger number of seedlings survive... :)

Its been raining here the last couple days so I'm sure its already into the soil. Is there any specific top soil that you guys like to use

RigglePLC
04-13-2011, 11:30 AM
Perennial ryegrass has a bigger seed than crabgrass--sometimes it can punch through. Rake vigorously and work up the soil as much as you can. Good spot for the grass sticher--huh--Sticherman?

Good idea; I could conduct a test of the above theory. But how do I treat a flower pot with crabgrass control?

Keep in mind that the label is a legal document. Because of potential liability, the crabgrass control manufacturers do not want to be responsible for claims regarding any seed that does not come up after treatment with their product. Who can blame them?

Smallaxe
04-13-2011, 09:35 PM
...Good idea; I could conduct a test of the above theory. But how do I treat a flower pot with crabgrass control?...

Great idea.... put this "Big Seed Barrier Buster" idea... away forever... :)

Roachy
04-15-2011, 09:52 PM
Well I hope it works since I told some of my customers it does when I was patching up parts of their lawn. The good thing is I usually get paid before the grass has time to germinate anyways :laugh: