PDA

View Full Version : Snobby British foreigners must leave Florida now!

FLAhaulboy
04-13-2011, 01:54 PM
Got a call from a snobbish British older woman, was interested in some landscaping work done in her back yard. I could tell right off she was snobby while talking to her on the phone...asking a zillion questions, writing down my answers, She asked what kind of work I did, I stopped her and asked what kind of work she needed done, instead, she seemed perturbed by that! I was driving & was to busy to answer a bunch of needless questions over the phone about what I do, what kind of equipment I have,blah blah blah.

So I was finally able to set up an time to meet her, I'm always a few mins early, I ring the door bell, no answer, I think she might be out back, I walk around, the back screen door is open, I call out, she comes to the door & is peeved off that I didn't "wait" for her to answer the front door! Told her I thought she might be in the yard instead of the house, apologized, waiting a few mins for her to change her shoes...:dizzy:

She comes out, no hello how are you attitude, sour face, has a clip board list me and my fellow competitors, The questions start, She writing down my answers, wants some "idea's" on landscaping, wants (2) 20 ft trees removed, asked how would I do it, what kind of equipment I would use, WRITES EVERYTHING DOWN.

Wants some lil bushes transplanted, will I guarantee they wont die? I say no. Writes it down! Why want you guarantee it....? on and on and on...

I dip snuff, I try not to spit until the client turns away & I do and she says in a screeching voice, "I wish you wouldn't spit!" We talk some more but her attitude was so appalling, I found her demeanor to be quite rude. Then abruptly, she ends the conservation, says thank you for coming by and heads for the door :hammerhead:

I've dealt with the British before and always found them to be very polite & well mannered but not this lady! I wanted so bad to tell her, remember, WE WON the war! :laugh: (American Revolution)

I doubt she'll be calling me back & feel bad my competition will soon face her :laugh: boorish self! :laugh:

I'll be adding her name to my black list of people I will never work for :nono:

Florida Gardener
04-13-2011, 01:57 PM
Sorry but I don't see a problem with her asking some of these questions. I think it is unprofessional to chew around a client as well. Just my .02
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
04-13-2011, 03:04 PM
I think I would have put a fresh dip in while talking to that one.
Posted via Mobile Device

BCL Services
04-13-2011, 05:13 PM
I think i would have asked you to get the hell off my property if you were spitting that nasty tobacco crap on my yard. Shows no respect at all. But hey that is just me.

zturncutter
04-13-2011, 05:42 PM
Flahaulboyyy

Howw do yer no dat she (SPIT) aint from dat country called Australy or mabe dat udder fer away place called New Zealy (SPIT) or maybeee Bermudee out dar in the ocean. Why I dont blame ye I wood not work fer her eeether and she wood be on me list. OMG are you serious :hammerhead:

dKoester
04-13-2011, 07:00 PM
I would of left. I don't work for anyone that has an attitude.

fl-landscapes
04-13-2011, 07:46 PM
Ill take both sides of this one. I had an estimate to do recently. Showed up and they had a clip board with several spec sheets for several contractors with itemized work yatta yatta. Hey I applaud them I guess for doing their due dilligence but I can sniff a tire kicker a mile away and I dont have the time to waste on people who are only concerned with prices. I also, as a customer would think you were a clown if you were talking to me with chew in your mouth and spitting "when I turned away" to be polite:dizzy:

LawnoftheMonth
04-21-2011, 01:47 AM
They have a clip board, who cares, so do I, I take notes as well. If you were bidding anything for any reason on my lawn and spitting out tobacco...pass. Were you wearing jorts and a tank top as well :laugh:

LawnTamer
04-21-2011, 02:11 AM
Word to the wise, those who don't "chew" find the habit incredibly disgusting. If someone was spitting brown crap on my property, I would ask them to leave, and be a little upset that they showed no respect for my property.

fl-landscapes
04-21-2011, 08:30 AM
They have a clip board, who cares, so do I, I take notes as well. If you were bidding anything for any reason on my lawn and spitting out tobacco...pass. Were you wearing jorts and a tank top as well :laugh:

It wasnt the clip board it was the seven spec sheets going out to seven contractors. Funny thing is the guy who reffered me called yesterday and said they called him looking for my estimate because NONE of the contractors submitted one. Guess I wasnt alone in my gut feeling on that one.

Clip board = convenient, organized
7 contractors bidding = P.I.T.A. , tire kicker
chew spitting contractor = hack

Ric
04-21-2011, 11:24 AM
It wasnt the clip board it was the seven spec sheets going out to seven contractors. Funny thing is the guy who reffered me called yesterday and said they called him looking for my estimate because NONE of the contractors submitted one. Guess I wasnt alone in my gut feeling on that one.
Clip board = convenient, organized
7 contractors bidding = P.I.T.A. , tire kicker
chew spitting contractor = hack

Fl

It doesn't take to long to recognize the PITA Tire Kickers or the PITA perfections who expect Disneyland. Do I miss a few jobs because I cull the potential PITA customers?? Sure I do, but I more than make up for it by not wasting my time chasing after the dead ends.

BTW With all the extra advertisement that was put out this year, I still picked up more business word of mouth than from advertisement. However I am going to try a Door Hanger campaign for Structural Pest Control. I have more L & O than I want and just might hire someone.

gregory
04-21-2011, 08:14 PM
with the way she sounded on the phone i would have told her i am sorry but i am to busy to take on another job right now.i turn down jobs all the time a big reason is i know whats wrong with my truck and they start to tell me how to fix it. well if you already know why are you having me to do it. sorry buddy i cant get to your truck till MAYBE some time next week.

as far as the dip thing i was raised down here and used to dip so it really doesnt brother me. but i could see where it would brother someone else. if you came to my house it wouldnt offened me but i wasnt raised in the uk.

txgrassguy
04-22-2011, 09:06 AM
I deal with self educated demanding potential clients all of the time.

When interrogated over the phone I simply state the volume of information requested dictates an on-site meeting. A one-hour maximum meeting is scheduled so once on site I may be able to evaluate the client potential as well as existent conditions. During this meeting I make up my mind as to accept the client or not.

Several behavioral traits I absolutely will not tolerate starts with questions regarding material cost verse labor. All of my work is bid as a package unless I both know the client and they have a history of cost plus payment.

Secondly I will not tolerate boorish behavior defined as clipped or obnoxious comments designed to either place me on the defensive regarding cost structure or comments in general about my profession as a Turfgrass Agronomist. Should comments commence I politely but firmly inform the potential client I am a degree holding professional with appropriate license and insurance - what I am not is a lawn "boy" or landscaper. Some potential clients get it, others do not. The one's who do, in fact, come to understand I am a professional service provider usually agree to my terms. Others I have terminated the interview abruptly by informing them we are not a good match and as such I refuse to submit to the bid process. I have gotten some really interesting responses all of which include some level of astonishment I "fired" them as a client. A few of these altered their attitude to the point they were accepted as a client and remain so to this day. The others I do not waste a second thought over. I have told more than one potential client that they are always not right, I wholly reserve the right to accept a new client or decline at my behest, and have ended more than one interview by informing the client their demands were unacceptable. And I never, ever recommend a contractor to these "pita" type clients.

Lastly I have a dog that accompanies me essentially everywhere. I do not care about others' comments about professionalism or lack thereof, this is MY business and I will conduct such in a manner I deem appropriate. Should the client recoil at the thought I have a dog or my dog does not like the client I end the interview.

Regarding smokeless tobacco use and spitting, obviously that is a personal preference but be prepared for adverse client reaction to hawking a looger on their property. I smoke a tobacco pipe and when the temps are over a 100*F which they will be soon I also chew loose leaf tobacco but seldom spit and never on a client's property. A few have asked me why I had a small bulge in my mouth and I explain and that is it. Only once have I had a bucks up client comment negatively so I asked here to accompany me to the area I was re-wiring a 78 station irrigation controller. The client had turned off the A/C in a small building prior to my arrival and it was well over 120*F in that room. She wilted once we got inside and she asks me what caused those two perfectly formed boot outlines on the concrete and when I wrung out my shirt which was soaked with perspiration she never said another word. And is still a client to this day over ten years later.

South Florida Lawns
04-28-2011, 10:23 PM
Do you have an ad posted on craigslist?

FLAhaulboy
04-29-2011, 08:08 PM
I think i would have asked you to get the hell off my property if you were spitting that nasty tobacco crap on my yard. Shows no respect at all. But hey that is just me.

But but, I was killin the bad insects! (Nicotine is used to kill insects)

I no longer dip when talking to a potential client & agree it looks bad or makes me look bad. If they hire me, I'll dip then. And when I dipped before, there wasn't a big bad ass looking bump of snuff in my lip & I would quietly spit when the client was looking the other way, I wasn't trying to offend or look like an obnoxious hick either:laugh:

Frankly, I find it rude when a potential client pulls out a clip board with my competitors listed & an endless list of silly questions to ask me. Kinda seems like I was being put "on notice". I'm way to busy to compete with any possible competitors of mine & consider it a waste of my time giving such an estimate to this lady. I just found her to be extremely picky (and rude) & not the kind of future client I would want to work for.

Txgrassguy: great post!

greendoctor
04-29-2011, 08:20 PM
Good on you for minding the appearance you project to a prospective client. On the other hand, if a prospective client dropped the name of a competitor and made motions such that price was more important than quality, they would be told that I am not a hog on the auction block do not ever call me again. I do not mind dealing with picky people that expect quality, provided it is understood that I do not deal in dollar store or strip mall pricing structures. They want that, they are welcome to call companies that are in the phone book and advertise heavily, that then send an English speaking manager for the estimate and the next week the property is besieged by non English speaking laborers who have no idea of what the are doing or why.

Skipster
05-07-2011, 05:49 PM
But but, I was killin the bad insects! (Nicotine is used to kill insects)

I no longer dip when talking to a potential client & agree it looks bad or makes me look bad. If they hire me, I'll dip then. And when I dipped before, there wasn't a big bad ass looking bump of snuff in my lip & I would quietly spit when the client was looking the other way, I wasn't trying to offend or look like an obnoxious hick either:laugh:

Frankly, I find it rude when a potential client pulls out a clip board with my competitors listed & an endless list of silly questions to ask me. Kinda seems like I was being put "on notice". I'm way to busy to compete with any possible competitors of mine & consider it a waste of my time giving such an estimate to this lady. I just found her to be extremely picky (and rude) & not the kind of future client I would want to work for.

Txgrassguy: great post!

Nicotine is just one of a bunch of chemicals in the nicotinoid pesticide class. Others that act like it are in the neo-nicotinoid class. They are central nervous system poisons. Why do people put it in their mouth? I don't know.

FLAhaulboy
05-07-2011, 10:36 PM
"Why do people put it in their mouth? "

I've been thinking that very same thing lately, why do I dip now, why did I start dipping in the first place? I started in the early 80's, back in the day when the danger "warnings" were low key. Why did I start, it wasn't peer pressure, I prob did it cause it sounded cool to do, I think the "flavors" played a huge part in starting..wintergreen, spearmint flavored tobacco, something to chew on between meals.

Nicotine IS very addictive, I can vouch that! I've tried the patch, the gum, Zyban & Chantix & none helped thus far.