PDA

View Full Version : steap bank landscaping help washed out

Ziob
04-13-2011, 01:58 PM
hi guys...in connecticut got a steap bank that has washed out for a customer as their driveway is upon the top of the bank and the storm drain got clogged and all hell broke lose.......bank was covered with overgrown evergreen bushes that are mostly dead now.......drain repair is easy and releveling the slope and bush removal is easy........my question is if anyone has any ideas for some good shrubs/planting or other ideas that are low to medium cost to hold this bank back if you just mulch it half the mulch would just wash off its that steap probably 40 degree angle.

ron mexico75
04-13-2011, 02:19 PM
Try this out man. Here is a link that provides the basics.

http://www.abnativeplants.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=plants.plantdetail&plant_id=105

Ziob
04-13-2011, 02:45 PM
thanks just trying to help these people out don't deal with retaining banks much.

grassman88
04-13-2011, 04:57 PM
creeping juniper its an evergreen shub/ground cover when the stems touch the ground then it will root itself and it will spread over the entire slop

Ziob
04-13-2011, 06:07 PM
something like that should work with mulch if they don't want anything fancy or for looks.......if they want something a little more decorative got any other ideas? i'm thinking probably use a ground cover like this with some small shrubs mixed in. main problem was the drain wasn't working so all the driveways water came right over the bank and washed it out......now have that fixied and going into a drywell so thats half the battle. now just holding the bank back a little and the mulch.

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
04-13-2011, 06:20 PM
Ground creepers such as junipers.
Posted via Mobile Device

White Gardens
04-13-2011, 07:25 PM
Ground creepers such as junipers.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ditto.

Can you install any rocks or stones to help with erosion or is that out of the budget?

Ziob
04-14-2011, 07:22 AM
maybe i'll try and post a pic of the bank i could put some stones there but it would kindo f look out of place.....were only fixing part of the bank the rest of the bank going horizontally had the same overgrown evergreen bushes but they aren't dead so their going to leave them....maybe plant those creeping junipers in rows on the hill with mulch around then and stick a few rhodos or small shrubs to mix it in.

grassman88
04-14-2011, 09:56 AM
the junipers should cover the whole hill after a while idk if you going to wanna put any shubs between them they will fill in the whole hill if healthy and you wont even see any dirt or mulch when they fill in

Ziob
04-16-2011, 03:08 PM
yeah just worried for right now keepign the bank back until they take hold......maybe i'll plant some close enough and they'll spread quickly.

Ziob
04-20-2011, 07:53 AM
looks like i'm just gonna cut all the bushes that are dead off at the stump and leave the roots in the ground to help with the bank.......fill in the washout with some top soil and then plant either the creeping juniper or a dump load of pacasandra let it spread and be done.