PDA

View Full Version : How much seed is the right amount?

kcyarddrainage
04-13-2011, 03:02 PM
One of our smaller divisions of our company installs seed & fertilizer on large projects. We apply the seed with one of our hydro-seeders and/or drill seeders. Many of us discuss and have different opinions on how much seed to apply per acre to get maximum results. The seed I am talking about is a contractor mix K-32 Fescue & Rye mix. We have different opinions that vary between 300 pounds and 400 pounds per acre. Does anyone have any help?

Smallaxe
04-13-2011, 08:59 PM
Too many factors to be sure... Experience is your best teacher...

RigglePLC
04-13-2011, 10:16 PM
This is really a hydroseeder question. I would use more seed--since the main cost is the labor. What are the consequences if the result is thin? Are you using suitable starter fert? What kind of mulch? What is soil temp? Why are you using cheap seed? Irrigated or not? Or drill seed--different technique. Can you use less in fall than spring? Isn't it too hot for rye in Kansas City?

kcyarddrainage
04-14-2011, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the input. I guess it is safe to say that the answer can vary based on many variables. Better off erring on the high side as the seed is cheap, and the labor is the costly part.