PDA

View Full Version : Any way to darken Poa Trivialis?

Gabby
04-13-2011, 03:11 PM
This has probably been asked before but I could not find anything on it ..... Is there any way to darken Poa Trivialis that is growing in nice dark KBG? Can it get spot treated with something to darken it?

txgrassguy
04-14-2011, 09:14 AM
Chelated Iron or a myriad of micro-nutrient containing sprays which target more efficacious mychorizal bacteria populations.
Personally, if it was me I'd simply hollow core aerify the turf site followed with an aggressive spring tine raking to break up the cores, bag the debris then spray the entire site with iron.

mishmosh
04-15-2011, 11:00 PM
You are better off applying Certainty to kill it off and let the kbg fill in. Improved poa trivialis is much darker than "wild" poa trivialis for areas that you want a mix (ie. wet, shade).

Gabby
04-20-2011, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the replies. Mishmosh, you said "Improved poa trivialis is much darker than "wild" poa trivialis for areas that you want a mix (ie. wet, shade)." What seed brands sell this improved darker poa trivialis? Thanks.

mishmosh
04-20-2011, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the replies. Mishmosh, you said "Improved poa trivialis is much darker than "wild" poa trivialis for areas that you want a mix (ie. wet, shade)." What seed brands sell this improved darker poa trivialis? Thanks.

I personally have used Winterplex blend from Scott's Turf Seed, Inc (bought from Rose Agriseed) and also Sabre III from Outsidepride.com. None are as dark as the darkest kentucky bluegrass but certainly much improved from the lime green of wild poa trivialis. I have also used primo maxx which help the poa triv take on a nice dark color by late spring. You will want to kill off any existing poa triv before you plant improved types and it will probably be best to incorporate them into a blend. Not only is the color different but they are much more fine bladed than the "rough stalk" of wild types. I use these in wet, somewhat shady areas.