PDA

View Full Version : Should i use a trailer dump or flatbed truck for slabwood

AdvLandscapeLLC
04-13-2011, 06:00 PM
So i have a little predicament that I wanna run by the population here. Currently i sell slabwood bundles as firewood for people I do approx 300-400 cord per year and each bundle comes out to a cord. I sell the bundles still banded and each bundle weighs 4200-5000lbs based on moisture content so my question\issue is this. Currently i run a 2005 dodge ram 3500 dually cummins quad cab with a 16' bri mar gooseneck dump trailer 14000#gross. The truck pulls it fine and the trailer works great but I really would like to not have to jockey a trailer into a driveway anymore and simply have 1 truck that can haul mulch, wood, soil, gravel etc.. but still be small enough to fit into driveways.

The trucks requirements are the following
>16-18' flat bed dump body
> Be able to haul 10,000 lb load in the body
>Be safe and legal
> Not break the bank and fit into driveways

I'm thinking something like an f-650 or small freightshaker or international but i am open to any suggestions.:usflag:

AdvLandscapeLLC
04-13-2011, 06:03 PM
this is the truck and trailer currently

hosejockey2002
04-13-2011, 07:26 PM
I assuming you want the longer bed so you can haul two bundles at once? For best maneuverability I'd look for an F series Isuzu (larger than the N series) or a comparable size Mitsubishi. I'm also assuming you want to stay out of CDL territory, so you'll want a GVWR of under 26,000 pounds. The Freightliner and Internationals are nice too but the wheelbase is longer for the same bed length. A Ford F550 or Dodge 5500 would probably be overloaded with 10K on the bed.

AdvLandscapeLLC
04-13-2011, 08:18 PM
Pretty much hit the nail on the head there, 2 bundles is a must with each being 8-9' long i did consider the 5500 dodge but i dont think it will take the weight legally. I havent looked much into the izuzu's though thats a good point