PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning glue from brick face

Outdoors_Unlimited
04-14-2011, 02:17 PM
I have a client who has a wall in which the cap was glued to the retaining wall blocks. Whatever glue they used has left a stain on the face of the block.

They have tried pressure washing, and it didn't work. What chemical could be used to clean this?

I have pictures on my phone, if anyone knows how to upload pics from an android device.
Posted via Mobile Device

DVS Hardscaper
04-14-2011, 03:05 PM
Is it smeared glue (from someone trying to clean it off with their fingers) or did color leach out of the glue?

Posted via Mobile Device

rlitman
04-14-2011, 04:46 PM
I'm trying to picture this.
Was the glued down, and the glue left a stain on the top surface, opposite the glue?
Or did glue drip down on the wall face? Or something entirely different.

Outdoors_Unlimited
04-15-2011, 09:26 AM
The glue color leached out from underneath the cap, and ran down the face of the wall.

Thanks for your help guys!
Posted via Mobile Device

DVS Hardscaper
04-15-2011, 09:47 AM
Email your pictures from your phone to your PC or laptop, and upload from there.

Posted via Mobile Device

Outdoors_Unlimited
04-17-2011, 12:49 AM
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x439/outdoorsunlimited1/IMG_20110414_130949.jpg

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x439/outdoorsunlimited1/IMG_20110414_130938.jpg

Pic upload?
Posted via Mobile Device

zedosix
04-17-2011, 01:23 AM
Sorry dude thats not glue, thats efflorescence. Pressure washing with hot water will reduce the effect.

Outdoors_Unlimited
04-17-2011, 10:10 AM
At first I thought it was efflorescence, but why is it only towards the "point" of block, and mostly near the top?

I will try efflorescence cleaner with hot water pressure washing.
Posted via Mobile Device

zedosix
04-17-2011, 10:19 AM
At first I thought it was efflorescence, but why is it only towards the "point" of block, and mostly near the top?

I will try efflorescence cleaner with hot water pressure washing.
Posted via Mobile Device

Your first thought was correct. 2 things.....

Likely a permacon product or belgard right?
The back fill directly behind block is leaching thru the block, try putting clear stone directly behind the block and a layer of non woven. Cover with clay to direct water off the top and not behind.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
04-17-2011, 10:40 AM
This might be a dumb idea, but has anyone ever tried a water based concrete stain on something like this? Assuming you can get a stain in the same general colors.

White Gardens
04-17-2011, 10:46 AM
Your first thought was correct. 2 things.....

Likely a permacon product or belgard right?
The back fill directly behind block is leaching thru the block, try putting clear stone directly behind the block and a layer of non woven. Cover with clay to direct water off the top and not behind.

Could it be the caps themselves that are doing it?

zedosix
04-17-2011, 11:27 AM
Could it be the caps themselves that are doing it?

Possible. The issue is the high salt content in either the stone or the water used in the mix. Permacon had big issues with their celtik block years ago and that is why today I do not install any of their products. I don't know if it was more of a local material issue or just all of it in general. But what you are showing there is common place here with all their wall products. I would call your supplier and make sure you have all the necessary paper work showing purchase date etc they may come good for it and clean it. I have had permacon do it for me on more than one occasion. If I can find the pictures I'll post them later.

DVS Hardscaper
04-17-2011, 11:52 AM
I also was thinking efflorescence when this topic first originated. Very common with larger block. And our local block manufacturer told me last summer different colors will be worse than other colors.

Clean it off and you're good to go.

Posted via Mobile Device