PDA

View Full Version : Nothing Runs Like a Deere????

finneylawns
04-14-2011, 07:14 PM
I have a question for the group. I started my business in August of last year as a part-time job for me being that I am full-time paramedic. My father-in-law is my mentor in the business, he has been in it for 16+ years.

He advised me to go to the local Deere dealership and start making my face known and looking at the equipment. He stated that he has used John Deere products in the past a swears by there reliability, quality of cut, and help during and after the sale.

In January I purchased a Lesco 32" Walk behind mower. (Now this mower is being sold under the John Deere Name) Like it so far, but have not been that happy with the dealership. About a month ago I found this forum and have been reading it about 4 to 5 days a week. Really enjoy all the information that is written.

All that being said now to the question.

1. I only see a small percentage of people on this site that use or recommend Deere products. What do you all know that I am not aware of.

Also I see that the Ferris line is highly recommended especially for the ride on Zero Turns. I really like what I see on there website.

2. Do any of you have any experience with the Ferris 32" walk behind.

Thanks for any information,

Marcus Finney
Finney Lawns

AEL
04-14-2011, 08:56 PM
Very proud owner of 2 johndeere 997 zero turn mowers, 2 36“ walkbehinds, john deere mini excavators etc. Before I bought my zero turns I was going to buy ferris. Build quality is much better on the jd I find.
Posted via Mobile Device

weeze
04-14-2011, 09:09 PM
john deere is probably the best out there in my opinion. there are other good companies too. some dealers are great and some aren't no matter what brand it is. here the john deere dealer actually gives better deals than the scag or hustler dealers so i feel it's a win win situation to go with deere. here for example: the scag dealer has a scag tiger cat with 48" cut and 19hp kawi engine with 10cc pumps for $8000...the hustler dealer has an x-one with 54" cut and 26hp kawi with 12cc pumps for $8800....the john deere has a z910a with 54" cut and 22hp kawi with 13cc pumps for $7000....which would you choose?...4hp isn't worth $1800 lol....you can't always stick with one dealer. you may have to buy a mower at one place, a blower at another, and a trimmer at yet another. just go where you can get the best deal no matter what you are buying. if you have to order things online then do that. i bought my trimmer online and they shipped it to me in a box brand new.

Roger
04-14-2011, 09:24 PM
Don't confuse the Lesco/MTD(?) products sold under the Deere name (John Deere Landscapes), with the products designed and manufactured under Deere itself. There is a very big difference.

Go to the Deere website and you will find 900 series ZTR products. These are NOT the Lesco rebranded products. These are the Deere products that are discussed often on LS (see Post #2 of this thread).

Some of us have 700 series ZTRs, but the newer models are now the 900 series across the board. There are also w/b mowers designed and manufactured by Deere. Again, these are not the Lesco rebranded products.

Thomas Grundy
04-14-2011, 09:27 PM
If your getting a walk behind get an exmark. I could see a jd zero turn but not walk behind. Im in louisville you dont see john deer around here all exmark scag and ferris.

grassman177
04-14-2011, 10:38 PM
i still am not impressed with build quality or anything about deere, but the 7 iron deck is pretty darn impressive. it is the whole rest of the machine i dont like

LawnCareNoobie
04-14-2011, 11:31 PM
i still am not impressed with build quality or anything about deere, but the 7 iron deck is pretty darn impressive. it is the whole rest of the machine i dont like

Like what?

weeze
04-14-2011, 11:38 PM
yeah like what? lol they seem to be built very solid to me. they should know how to build them with all of their tractor experience. they seem to be built really well to me. also the hustlers seem to be built well. scags are supposed to be but there's something about them that i don't like. not sure what it is but they just rub me the wrong way for some reason. maybe it's the brown seats or the cheesy tiger stripes i dunno lol. i think it's that they seem to be all brawn without any finesse. the john deeres seem to have the brawn and finesse in a balanced package.

LawnCareNoobie
04-14-2011, 11:58 PM
yeah like what? lol they seem to be built very solid to me. they should know how to build them with all of their tractor experience. they seem to be built really well to me. also the hustlers seem to be built well. scags are supposed to be but there's something about them that i don't like. not sure what it is but they just rub me the wrong way for some reason. maybe it's the brown seats or the cheesy tiger stripes i dunno lol. i think it's that they seem to be all brawn without any finesse. the john deeres seem to have the brawn and finesse in a balanced package.

There is no question that they are built heavy duty. The setting of the deck height by the dial and floor parking break is a nice feature, great deck, good stability on hills, rib caster tires, etc.

The only knock on them is that they are limited. There is only one available gas engine brand and only one diesel offered in their commercial lineup. However the variety of the engine HP and deck size choices is good. The MOD is another plus.

blabarre
04-15-2011, 08:24 AM
I like my deere. I have a 717a. The thing is built like a tank. Only thing I don't like is it doesn't have a gas gauge. Anyone know if there is an aftermarket one you can get for it?

weeze
04-15-2011, 01:33 PM
There is no question that they are built heavy duty. The setting of the deck height by the dial and floor parking break is a nice feature, great deck, good stability on hills, rib caster tires, etc.

The only knock on them is that they are limited. There is only one available gas engine brand and only one diesel offered in their commercial lineup. However the variety of the engine HP and deck size choices is good. The MOD is another plus.

yeah they only have kawi engines but that is a good thing.

grassman177
04-15-2011, 08:13 PM
Compared to kubota and scag I think they are weak looking and not comfy at all
Posted via Mobile Device

weeze
04-15-2011, 10:25 PM
the john deeres are very comfy to me...it's like sitting on a cloud compared to the mowers i'm used to lol...you can always get a suspension seat to make them even more comfy....i really like the high back seats on them

grassman177
04-16-2011, 07:46 AM
everyone is different. not comfy at all to me as i get pickier every year as my back is killing me. i am actually finding out i dont really like sitting anymore cuz it kills me, i prefer to stand on mow now

i may not like the machine, but the deck, it is very capable. great results and engineering

MooseMan89
04-16-2011, 09:44 AM
Over here in Atlanta, I see little LCOs only using Scag, Toro, and Exmark. I'm the only one that has a snapper.
While big LCOs only run Deeres. The LCO that maintains OFS (Hundreds of acres of amazing lawn) use diesel Deere ztrs. And many many more larger companies I see with Isuzu NPRs having two huge Deeres driving around. Never understood that.

David Haggerty
04-17-2011, 07:00 AM
No deeper than you are in the business, John Deere will be like gold to you.
But I consider JD as entry level into the commercial market. Some would say Encore or Bush-Hog are the entry level products, But I don't consider them comercial products at all.

4b landscape
04-17-2011, 11:47 AM
john deere entry level?? i ve owned john deere z's for a long time.. i get 2500+ hours before i trade or sell. (commercial only) deeres also hold there resale value.. granted the 800 series was rough but the new 900 pro series is where its at! they also make a 700 series with the kolher but like all new mowers the kawa is it

Shasta Lake Landscaping
04-17-2011, 12:23 PM
I'm not a fan of deere, there overpriced, and look residential, I do this to put food on the table I can't use green toys. I'm glad I dont have to deal with the local deere dealer either, made the mistake of trying to get some parts through them for my snowblower, it took a long time and it was a hassle how they had to wait for an invoice, and was run by a bunch of chicks that didnt know a THING about lawn care, landscaping, or anything else they sold in that store. The whole deere experience was a joke honestly, the novelty of all that cheap green crap wore off when I was 7 and learned what quality was, not just clever marketing.

weeze
04-17-2011, 07:43 PM
they are not overpriced here at all...i looked at a scag TT with 61" deck and 27hp kohler or kawi and it was almost $10k and i looked at a hustler x-one 54" deck with 26hp kawi and it was $8800...the john deere z920a with 54" deck and 26hp kawi is $7750..not a bad price at all to me...and deeres are not entry level mowers lol...they are much better than any toro.

LawnCareNoobie
04-17-2011, 09:18 PM
It looks like people either love or hate JD.

The ones that hate JD always seem to lie about the product though. A bad dealer also somehow makes JD bad as well?

I don't particularly think Exmark is all that but I won't go on saying they are overpriced junk. I spent an entire summer using them for TruGreen mowing the Morman sites (Hill Cumorah) in Palmyra NY. Good machines but I would honestly prefer a JD over Exmark.

Here's one site.

grassman177
04-17-2011, 09:31 PM
i would like to see a JD after 2500hrs compared to a kubota. i bet the kubota has held up more graceful with less repairs.

weeze
04-17-2011, 09:33 PM
both john deere and kubota make great products whether it's tractors or mowers ....they know what they are doing. i've never owned a kubota but i have heard the decks don't even come close to the cut of the 7 iron deck....as far as everything else i would think they are about the same.

grassman177
04-18-2011, 07:46 AM
the deck is not as good as the 7 iron, but very good still. i like it, but i like the toro better after using them

Aaronnc
04-22-2011, 02:57 AM
When people think of JD being "entry-level", or "residential" this guy sums it up best (granted this was posted in '04): Starting at the front:

The Scag uses all taipered roller bearings, in the front wheel pivots and even in the caster wheels, Deere has lighter duty straight rollers in wheels.

Scags front caster arms are easily removed [two bolts]for repair or replacement, Deere is welded on .

Scag has a double tube "boxed" welded frame - probably the strongest in the industry, Deere is a single tube frame. Frame stiffness has a great deal to do with hillside stability and traction.

Scag has a larger floor pan area and the seat will roll back far enough that even a 6 ft 5 in guy can stretch his legs out and be comfortable, Deere is much more restricted.

The deck lift pedal is much easier to use and requires less effort on the Scag.

Both Scag and Deere make their entire mower shell of 7 guage steel, but Scag also welds on two more layers of 10 ga, steel in the top plate , so that the spindles are bolted onto a reinforced mower top that is 1/2 inch thick.

Scags mower construction is fabricated and their deck is 5.5 in deep-everywhere , Deere's is a stamped deck, and uses a wind tunnel design to get the grass out.
I won't get into that controversy about the merits of these two designs, but I can say that other companies [ like MTD Pro, Lesco. Toro, Cub Cadet, and even Kubota] that have used stamped decks before, are now all using Fab. design on most all their mower decks.

The Scag mower deck has a DRIVE SHAFT with a universal joint at each end to power the mower deck. This is how it's done on large utility tractors and most of the larger commercial mowing machines. The Deere uses a belt to drive their mower deck [ which is OK to do] , but the problem is that they run this belt over a pair of rear idlers , which twists the belt 180 deg. and then it goes to a pulley on a horizontal crank engine. This twisting of a PTO belt has been done on many garden tractors, and was even the way it was done on the old Cub Low Boy tractors of 50 years ago. It has always been a poor way to drive a mower, and the extra friction and rolling/twisting resistance will use a couple of horse power, and will certainly shorten the life of this expensive belt. The only advantage of the twisted belt type of system, is that it is cheap to make and saves Deere a lot of money.

If you open the rear service panel on the Scag Tiger, the hydro drive belt is right there and so is the PTO drive belt. The pair could easily be changed in less than 5 minutes. You will also see the 275 ft/lb PTO clutch there and so easy to service. You may also notice the PAIR of 16cc Hydro Gear pumps that propell the hydro motors. Scag uses larger 16 cc pumps because they will last much longer than the 10 cc pumps that most others have.
Now look at the Deere. See the belt down in front of the engine ? This drives their SINGLE pump , that internally divides into a pair of 10 cc pumps. This system is super criticle. If anything happens internally to this pump, it is likely to fill the entire drive system with schrapnel ! Again this systems only advantage for Deere is that it is cheaper to build !

Did you notice that the Scag Tiger has no fuel tanks outboard and above the tires ? Their single 10 gal. tank is low in the center of the frame. This greatly lowers their center of gravity. It also keeps the unit better balanced. When a twin tank machine has an empty on the left, and a full tank on the right side, they can really get weird on a hillside, but the Scag with its CENTER located tank always stays in balance, no matter what the fuel level is. Finally the inboard tank on the Scag would be virtually impossible to damage or split open in an accident. Their system is very safe for the driver. The large , high ,outboard plastic fuel tanks on the Deere are much easier to slam into an object as you make a tight zero turn - then you can have a bit of a problem !!!

If you will go back, and closely examine every aspect of each of these machines [it really helps to have them side by side] and it's even better if you can demo ride them and mow with them side by side, then after doing this - can you tell me one single thing about the Deere that you believe to be as well built, or as well engineered as the Scag Tiger ?

AEL
04-22-2011, 12:28 PM
Jd is priced the same if not lower then comparible brands here. I am extremly happy with my deere machines.
Posted via Mobile Device

BAGHERVANCE
04-22-2011, 04:02 PM
Not doing it unless your doing it with a Wright Stander

LawnCareNoobie
04-22-2011, 10:54 PM
When people think of JD being "entry-level", or "residential" this guy sums it up best (granted this was posted in '04):

Posted in 2004? :rolleyes: This is comical. This must be sarcasm or a joke. Not only is this way outdated, it doesn't even include all of JD's commercial mowers. Haters are gonna hate I guess. Congrats to Scag for building the Greatest of All Time zero turn, specifically when that's the company's primary focus...lawn mowers. Currently Deere offers a residential, mid level or light commercial, and then commercial.

John Deere's caster arms can be removed too by bolts. They also have better caster wheels, which are ribbed and don't do as much turf damage when making turns.

John Deere's frames are not even the same anymore. They are totally redesigned. Plenty strong. Nobody is breaking or cracking these unless they are rolling the thing over cliffs.

There is plenty of room on Deere's "floor pan." There is no more room on the Scag tiger than there is on a 900 series. I know because I've used both.

The deck lift pedal is easier to use? Deck lift pedals are different now than they were in 2004. Easy to use and if you're too wuss to use it, then get the comfort and convenience package and press a button for the deck lift. Let's mention setting the deck height by an easy dial and not fidgeting with a pin.

Deere's decks are not tunnel decks. They are 5.5 inches deep everywhere as well. Plenty strong, therefor it doesn't need layers of plates on top. Best deck at cutting in any condition. You think Scag came out with the Velocity deck without looking at 7 Iron? (wider discharge). Husqvarna literally copied the 7 iron. The underside is identical.

Who cares about Drive shaft to power the mower deck? Deere's 997 is drive shaft so what? Its easier to replace a belt than it is to replace a busted gear box (which I've seen on Scags, Kubotas).The belt drive spoken of here doesn't even exist in all newer models.

The Hydros were never a serious problem. In fact they were smooth and worked well. Two pumps, one goes funny and then your steering is all wacky. Deere went with two Parker hydro pumps in the 800's and they SUCKED. Funny that Exmark uses them now. Deere went back to original Kanzaki pumps and all is great.

Fuel tanks? Does this idiot even know that Deere is one of MANY commercial zero turns with "outboard fuel tanks." Yeah, let's blame JD for this though! I won't even get into the center of gravity part. Deere's newest zero turns stick to hillsides like mountain goats.

Stick to using a pair of scissors.

weeze
04-22-2011, 11:44 PM
yeah that post is funny..pretty much everything said in it doesn't even exist on the z900 john deeres...i looked at a scag turf tiger, hustler x-one, and a john deere z920a all very closely...they are all great machines but the john deere is the best in my opinion...the ones i looked at are all similar in what they have to offer...
here's the basics:

- the scag costs $1500 more($9250) and the hustler costs $1000 more($8750) than the john deere z920a($7750)

- scag has 27 kohler..hustler has 26hp kawi..and john deere has 26hp kawi (you can get a john deere z925a with 27hp kawi for same price as the huslter)

- scag uses 16cc pumps, hustler uses 12cc pumps, and john deere uses 13cc pumps

- scag has 52" deck..hustler has 54" deck...john deere has 54" deck

- scag goes 10.5mph...hustler goes 11mph...john deere goes 10.5 mph

- scag has 10 gallon tank, hustler has 10.4 gallon tank, john deere has 11.5 gallon tank

- scag has run flat front castors not ribbed...hustler has ribbed (run flat is an optional accessory)...john deere has ribbed run-flat castors

- scag and hustler have deck pin height adjustment system..john deere has height adjustment knob

- scag has velocity deck with anti-scalp wheels in 6 positions...hustler has vx4 deck with anti-scalp wheels in 3 positions...john deere has 7 iron pro with anti-scalp wheels in 6 positions

i mean they are all very similar in what they have to offer but i see nothing that the scag and hustler offer that would make me want to pay more money for it...in my opinion these are the best ztr mowers made in the $7k-$10k price range with the average size deck of 54" which is good for various sized yards.

BPS##
04-02-2012, 08:28 PM
No deeper than you are in the business, John Deere will be like gold to you.
But I consider JD as entry level into the commercial market. Some would say Encore or Bush-Hog are the entry level products, But I don't consider them comercial products at all.

Entry level :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Nothing more than a Deere HATER talking.

cheapcuts1
04-06-2012, 05:44 PM

+1 i agree, i like the deck, just not the rest of the machine

LawnCareNoobie
04-06-2012, 08:38 PM
Never understood the reason behind the build quality either. As solid as any other machine.