PDA

View Full Version : How do they do it?

StBalor
04-14-2011, 07:22 PM
Lost yet another bid today. It was a mulching job, 11,200 sq. ft. by my calculations thats 104 yrds of mulch. customer wanted a full 3" of mulch spread over the entire area. lots of weeding and lots of edging. turned in a low, low price of 5200.00 that included weeding edging and mulch.

I was under bid. the lady i have been working for , for 4 years told me she went with another company that gave her a bid of 1800.00
I could not even get the mulch for that price. How can someone do this job so cheap?

I am about to give up on pricing mulch jobs. Last year i was getting 100.00 yrd. but that included trimming shrubs and edging. this year i can't get 50.00 yrd. so how can they do it for 18.00 a yrd, pull weeds and edge? Sounds like this other company just has alot of free time on their hands and doing jobs for cost of Materials.

Premier landscaping south
04-14-2011, 07:59 PM
Landfill mulch?

johnnybow
04-14-2011, 08:11 PM
That sucks, i dont know how they can do that for that price. Probably has illegals working for them.

denis35
04-14-2011, 08:21 PM
That's insane, I just laid 12 yards of CUSTOMER SUPPLIED MULCH today for $420. Edging was billed seperatly at 1 dollar per linear foot, for a total of 640
Posted via Mobile Device

StBalor
04-14-2011, 08:22 PM
Landfill mulch?

I was thinking the same thing. but they do not load you here, you have to shovel it in your vehicle. Thats alot of shoveling for crappy mulch.

THEGOLDPRO
04-14-2011, 08:27 PM
i just did a 20 yard mulch job and charged $1800 for labor and mulch. lol i cant imagine doing 100+ yards for the same price.

White Gardens
04-14-2011, 08:35 PM
Even at wholesale, reasonably good hardwood mulch would cost more than the bid itself.

I'm seeing this type of bidding across the board. Every time I get a customer that tells me I'm too expensive, I just tell them I have a family to feed, and to do jobs at ridiculously low prices takes food away from my family.

Birchwood
04-14-2011, 08:49 PM
Even at wholesale, reasonably good hardwood mulch would cost more than the bid itself.

I'm seeing this type of bidding across the board. Every time I get a customer that tells me I'm too expensive, I just tell them I have a family to feed, and to do jobs at ridiculously low prices takes food away from my family.

Out of curiosity what do they say to that. Do they change there mind?

White Gardens
04-14-2011, 09:48 PM
Out of curiosity what do they say to that. Do they change there mind?

Generally no, they don't change their minds. It's all about the money. No skin off my teeth though. If I can't make money off a job, then I don't want it. The only time I will budge on my price is if the other bids were close to what mine were.

I go into a bit too about how if a bid is ungodly low, then they are skimping on the details and that the customer might night get a good or lasting product in the end.

Funny thing is though, they are still willing to take that chance.

bdconsoli
04-14-2011, 09:56 PM
I was thinking the same thing. but they do not load you here, you have to shovel it in your vehicle. Thats alot of shoveling for crappy mulch.

The dump down here will load it with a bobcat for free. Not sure whether the Millersville dump will but Sudley down past Edgewater will. Maybe that's where they got it from?

ritewayco
04-14-2011, 11:12 PM
i bet if the depth of the job waa checked none of it is at 3"s probably just thick enough to hide the dirt

AzLawnMan
04-15-2011, 12:52 AM
That sucks, i dont know how they can do that for that price. Probably has illegals working for them.

Another stupid quote by someone adding nothing but a stupid comment to the conversation. But since you seem like you know, tell me how you came to this conclusion? Really I would like to know. Maybe, just maybe they had left over multch from a previous job, maybe the bought a whole lot of it recently and were able to negotiate an awsome price, maybe their overhead is not the same as the poster or maybe they buy from a different vendor than he does and gets it cheaper, maybe, just maybe. But hey, lets just blame the illegals, it was them that made our economy the way it is.

White Gardens
04-15-2011, 12:58 AM
i bet if the depth of the job waa checked none of it is at 3"s probably just thick enough to hide the dirt

Ha!

You don't know how many times I've seen that. A couple of guys get out of a truck, load a wheelbarrow and start sprinkling twice ground hardwood mulch around with their hands.

I won't do that. I do a two year mulch cylce for my clients. It goes on as thick as I feel safe for the plants. In the off year, I offer a mulch tilling to break up any compacted mulch and move any thicker areas around to the thinner areas.

StBalor
04-15-2011, 07:26 AM
The dump down here will load it with a bobcat for free. Not sure whether the Millersville dump will but Sudley down past Edgewater will. Maybe that's where they got it from?

millersville does not load mulch for you, you need to shovel it on yourself.

JFGauvreau
04-15-2011, 07:53 AM
1800$ is so low, I would never do the job for that price. Time is money, if the job doesn't make you money, move on, their is plenty more fish in the ocean.

Jimslawncareservice
04-15-2011, 06:19 PM
That's insane, I just laid 12 yards of CUSTOMER SUPPLIED MULCH today for $420. Edging was billed seperatly at 1 dollar per linear foot, for a total of 640
Posted via Mobile Device

how much is your muclh price. at your price i would only make $3 per yard hauled and installed

Get Some...
04-15-2011, 09:31 PM
how much is your muclh price. at your price i would only make $3 per yard hauled and installed

He said csr supplied the mulch.........

Jimslawncareservice
04-15-2011, 09:38 PM
I totally missed that He said csr supplied the mulch.........
Posted via Mobile Device

elitelawnteam1
04-15-2011, 10:44 PM
that bid is LOW they must've stolen that mulch!:hammerhead:

johnnybow
04-15-2011, 11:04 PM
Another stupid quote by someone adding nothing but a stupid comment to the conversation. But since you seem like you know, tell me how you came to this conclusion? Really I would like to know. Maybe, just maybe they had left over multch from a previous job, maybe the bought a whole lot of it recently and were able to negotiate an awsome price, maybe their overhead is not the same as the poster or maybe they buy from a different vendor than he does and gets it cheaper, maybe, just maybe. But hey, lets just blame the illegals, it was them that made our economy the way it is.

Ok, like that never happens. As cheap as what it was come on. Something isnt right. Mabee no overhead cause of no insurance or comp. cutting corners some how? Or mabee just mabee people working under the rader for peanuts for 2 dollers a hour.

AzLawnMan
04-16-2011, 03:21 PM
Ok, like that never happens. As cheap as what it was come on. Something isnt right. Mabee no overhead cause of no insurance or comp. cutting corners some how? Or mabee just mabee people working under the rader for peanuts for 2 dollers a hour.

Or you could just learn how to spell. :dizzy:

johnnybow
04-16-2011, 03:23 PM
Ok, as long as you promise to become legal

AzLawnMan
04-16-2011, 03:47 PM
Ok, as long as you promise to become legal

Seems like your just starting out in this business and I say that because of your past post on other threads and to me it seems like you have no idea what your doing. Spilling round-up on fert? Why is your round-up and fert in the same area? You should know that most states require you to have your chemicals locked in a secure box to prevent just that, spills, especially on another flammable product. Second, "how not to burn a yard with granulars"? Really? Usually you are not to apply at a certain temp, dont over apply and make sure you water in the right amount. I could go on but I wont, I have been in this business working for my dad every summer and everyday after school since I was 9. I bought this company in cash 3 years ago and have double sales. I hold certifications and licenses in various areas and have not had to advertise in 2 years, and my business is growing. I get calls everyday from people who want to pay me for my advice, I do it for free because I like helping others. I have met several people on this site that I have gave advice too, that they have sought out and several months later I have sinced talked with them and they have thanked me because of the info that I gave them and they are growing rapidly. What have you done? PM me and we can talk about your mistakes and how you can correct them. As for legal statement, I wont bother with it.
*trucewhiteflag*:usflag::canadaflag:;):dancing::cry::cool2::walking::dizzy::sleeping:

Patriot Services
04-16-2011, 04:12 PM
Landfill mulch?

That would be my guess too. Tampa doesn't even move it to landfills. You can find it piled up near interstate staging areas. People are encouraged to take it. Of course they don't realize they are building weed farms in their beds.
Posted via Mobile Device

coastallandscapesolutions
04-17-2011, 09:42 PM
I just ran into the same issue with a lowball bid. I get $60 yard to put down brown hardwood mulch. I bid a job that required 120 yards. Someone else got it and did the job. I went by to look at it and finely figured out how they did it. A tree service company did the work. They simply dumped their daily ground up crap as mulch. It's a Heinz 57 mix, everything from pine needles to palm frawns. Anyway the tree company got to dump their stuff and spread it for $10 a yard. So rather then pay a fee at the local dump they are selling it as mulch.

Patriot Services
04-18-2011, 11:36 AM
I just ran into the same issue with a lowball bid. I get $60 yard to put down brown hardwood mulch. I bid a job that required 120 yards. Someone else got it and did the job. I went by to look at it and finely figured out how they did it. A tree service company did the work. They simply dumped their daily ground up crap as mulch. It's a Heinz 57 mix, everything from pine needles to palm frawns. Anyway the tree company got to dump their stuff and spread it for $10 a yard. So rather then pay a fee at the local dump they are selling it as mulch.

I bet that looks stellar. Wait until the weeds start coming.
Posted via Mobile Device

jim81147
04-18-2011, 11:13 PM
Actually you can use these people to your advantage. When your customer tells you you did not have the high bid , be polite , thank them for the opportunity to bid and make sure you leave a card and tell them that your mulch jobs last X seasons. Then when 3 months goes by and the customer goes out and see's all the dirt , many times they will call you and dont ask for a bid , just say come do it . At least that has been my experience. By the way , I pay my illegals $14 /hr and my non-illegals $12/hr and the non-illegals are overpaid.

Bogielski
04-18-2011, 11:40 PM
we just had a contract signed yesterday for 87 yards of mulch, around 10k sq ft. cost is $9,700 w/ labor

dboyd351
04-19-2011, 07:23 AM

I think this is the answer, at least as far as the mulch cost. Around here you can stop by the side of the road when you see the electric company trimming the branches and ask them to deliver the load to you. If you're close by, they are happy to do it since it saves them hauling and dump fees. Not sure how much volume you could get in one place, but I know you can get the mulch and have it delivered free. The tree trimming companies will sometimes do the same. Of course, you have no control over what you get and it isn't seasoned at all, in addition to the weed issue.

mike174
04-20-2011, 01:10 AM
Lost yet another bid today. It was a mulching job, 11,200 sq. ft. by my calculations thats 104 yrds of mulch. customer wanted a full 3" of mulch spread over the entire area. lots of weeding and lots of edging. turned in a low, low price of 5200.00 that included weeding edging and mulch.

I was under bid. the lady i have been working for , for 4 years told me she went with another company that gave her a bid of 1800.00
I could not even get the mulch for that price. How can someone do this job so cheap?

I am about to give up on pricing mulch jobs. Last year i was getting 100.00 yrd. but that included trimming shrubs and edging. this year i can't get 50.00 yrd. so how can they do it for 18.00 a yrd, pull weeds and edge? Sounds like this other company just has alot of free time on their hands and doing jobs for cost of Materials.

I would be a bit higher than you and I'm also amazed at the price she received. Don't feel bad, it's a super lowball price. It sounds like they'll spray half the amount of mulch for $35/yrd and give the bed an "instant" cleanup by covering weeds & leaves. I've seen the $30-$35 mulch spray guys around for the last 2 seasons here. Keep good relations with the customer, sometimes they realize they get what they pay for, and you'll get a call back. Don't get discouraged, there are still some people willing to pay for quality work.

AzLawnMan
04-20-2011, 12:28 PM
By the way , I pay my illegals $14 /hr and my non-illegals $12/hr and the non-illegals are overpaid.

CLASSIC!! :drinkup:

AzLawnMan
04-20-2011, 12:30 PM
we just had a contract signed yesterday for 87 yards of mulch, around 10k sq ft. cost is $9,700 w/ labor

WOW! I wish multch was that popular in Arizona. Sounds like good money. Good for you. :clapping:

djlunchbox
04-21-2011, 02:35 PM
like the post above said, use that to your advantage. have them call you to repair the damage caused by the sub par install.

StBalor
04-21-2011, 08:50 PM
Well i rode over there today to check out their work. It has not been done yet.