PDA

View Full Version : Turfco XT5 vs LS Hydro Aerator

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-14-2011, 11:17 PM
There has been a lot of chatter between these two very similar units.
Enough banter on 100 different threads.

Here is what I want:

Tell me which you think would be the better machine, and why.
Briefly please, no dissertation.

djagusch
04-14-2011, 11:21 PM
Xt5 because of the 24" width and tine cleaning. Everthing else seems like a wash.
Posted via Mobile Device

Exact Rototilling
04-17-2011, 09:45 PM
...snip...Briefly please, no dissertation.

dissertation....;)

Anyhow....neither unit......just kidding.

Either unit will be a challenge on properties or lawns with steep slopes with front drive. I have the LS unit and I have had to skip a few places or just aerate with my Hydro Plugr.

Don't think anyone here has used both. If they have they aren't talking. :laugh:

One of my shorter posts. :rolleyes:

LawnSolutionsCP
04-17-2011, 11:34 PM
what could you not do with our 21 hydro unit?

Exact Rototilling
04-18-2011, 12:30 AM
I have pics of my plugr hydro on ATV ramps strapped down with tie down to make it down out side iron stairs. Would never have hired help do that. Another steep driveway 45 degrees at the bottom, house on slope just easier with hydro plugr. Then again would never take a non hydro plugr down there either. Fact will never own a non hydro plugr.

Going down steep hills? a pull back on the bars will cause to front wheels to loose traction better to back down and push up for weight transfer.

Another property up a hill again 35 to 45 degree then slope stops to rock garden. Customer groused that I charged him $68. Next time it will be more like $85

David's 21 WB pulled considerably deeper plugs than my Plugr to day.

Not a single perfect one size fits all unit out there.

Plugr Hydro are spendy if bought new.

Either of the unit in questions are considerbly less $ and will not burn through tines like a Plugr.

Sorry for the dissertation....:laugh:
Posted via Mobile Device

rdharris
04-18-2011, 11:18 PM
I have found on the LS machine traveling straight into a ditch and up the other side works better than trying to aerate along side the ditch. The only problems I encounter using the unit is trying to travel across a sloped area. The bottom half of the unit sinks the tines sending power to the upper side tines which will just spin on the top surface of the ground or grab and try to send you down the hill. Other than that I love the machine. I can only compare it to my former split drive classen.

LawnSolutionsCP
04-19-2011, 11:06 AM
Adjust the depth stops correctly and it won't do this. If the depth settings were set in the middle instead of the deepest setting this won't happen when going across hills. Give it a try.

David
Posted via Mobile Device

QualityGuy
04-19-2011, 05:23 PM
I try to avoid tedious hand work such as this but I just have to put my 2 cents in. I was invited to demo the XT-5 at the Turfco facility in Blaine, MN. I found it not only easy to use, but actually kind of fun. When I got there they had a little obstacle course set up...at this point I almost got back in my truck. But I waited and took my turn round the course. The ease of use coupled with the variety of features made it an overall enjoyable experience.
Although the product does not have a place in my garage (as I use another Turfco model on one of my out-front mowers), I believe that for any small contractor with a majority of single family residential clients, there is real money to be made. With the XT-5, which takes very little effort to operate, you can mine more income from you existing client base. Just my thoughts....

Happy Hunting!

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-19-2011, 06:01 PM
I am hearing slight bias toward the Turfco machine so far.......

LawnSolutionsCP
04-19-2011, 06:07 PM
I'll be in MN next week if you would like to demo our aerators to see the difference. It will be worth your time.

single and dual hydro machines will be up there along with the rinsing aerator.

Let me know.
Posted via Mobile Device

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-19-2011, 10:00 PM
David - where will you be in MN?
I am hoping Rochester area. I would love to try yours out and pull some plugs.
If only in the Twin Cities area, I may have trouble getting up there with spring business kicking in for me.

Thanks,
DA

LawnSolutionsCP
04-20-2011, 06:02 PM
Should be next week.
Posted via Mobile Device

Exact Rototilling
07-16-2011, 01:43 PM
Ok now that XT5's have been shipped and delivered...chime in with your input.

Especially if you own both units.

kennc38
07-17-2011, 10:09 PM
Ok now that XT5's have been shipped and delivered...chime in with your input.

Especially if you own both units.

My input wouldn't be fair until I've used it for at least one season. Just taking it out of the box, firing up the engine and running it up and down the yard once or twice won't give much constructive input. Will be more than happy to do so around the end of October.

hackitdown
07-19-2011, 03:50 PM
I have an XT5 on its way by truck right now.

aeration
07-21-2011, 12:41 PM
While everyone on lawnsite is comparing the aerators and debating on whether or not Toro/LS is good for the industry, I purchased a LS Dual Hydro. Fall can't come fast enough!!!

kennc38
07-21-2011, 02:28 PM
While everyone on lawnsite is comparing the aerators and debating on whether or not Toro/LS is good for the industry, I purchased a LS Dual Hydro. Fall can't come fast enough!!!

Congrats! If you don't mind me asking, where did you end up purchasing it? Just hope you're able to find repair/replacement parts in the future if needed.

americanlawn
07-21-2011, 08:56 PM
Three aerators were compared at the field today: LS 21" hydro, TURFCO XT5 24" hydro, Plugr 855. Loam soil with minimal amount of soil moisture.

Ground speed: TURFCO & Plugr were both winners, as their ground speed were identical. The LS unit was much slower, and quite disappointing.

Plug depth & number of plugs: The 855 Plugr was the winner. XT5 was 2nd*. LS was 3rd.

Ease of use: XT5 was #1. Much easier to turn. Much smoother & quieter. Very easy to raise the tines. LS was #2. Plugr was #3.

*Note: The LS aerator had all four weights. The TURFCO XT5 had 2 weights and was only set in the "shallow plug" position (not the deep plug setting).

Easiest to service: XT5 -- extremely easy to get to whatever you want.

The above are the opinions of those who demoed these units today. I personally noticed the most interest in the XT5.

I also have videos that were taken today that show the stark differences between the XT5 & the LS aerator. I can forward them via email, but that's all I know how to do right now, cuz I don't know how to post the videos on lawnsite.com.

Which of the 3 would work for me? It would be the XT5 due to ease of use, number of plugs, and depth of plugs.

Regarding the LS with caster wheels? The videos look very cool, but nobody around here has first-hand experience with it. So far, no midwest Toro dealers have plans to sell them. (maybe later) :confused:

The Plugr 855 was awesome, but it's a different class of aerator. (kinda like the LA 28). Very nice unit, nice company. Keep in mind that I have never used the 855. The new 855 also eliminated moving parts to make it more bullet proof. I only saw it operated by their rep today (nice guy) So I cannot say good or bad about it. Yet it pulled deeper & more plugs than the LS & TURFCO hydro aerators. My only concern would be operator fatigue, but don't quote me on this.

CHARLES CUE
07-21-2011, 10:27 PM
Three aerators were compared at the field today: LS 21" hydro, TURFCO XT5 24" hydro, Plugr 855. Loam soil with minimal amount of soil moisture.

Ground speed: TURFCO & Plugr were both winners, as their ground speed were identical. The LS unit was much slower, and quite disappointing.

Plug depth & number of plugs: The 855 Plugr was the winner. XT5 was 2nd*. LS was 3rd.

Ease of use: XT5 was #1. Much easier to turn. Much smoother & quieter. Very easy to raise the tines. LS was #2. Plugr was #3.

*Note: The LS aerator had all four weights. The TURFCO XT5 had 2 weights and was only set in the "shallow plug" position (not the deep plug setting).

Easiest to service: XT5 -- extremely easy to get to whatever you want.

The above are the opinions of those who demoed these units today. I personally noticed the most interest in the XT5.

I also have videos that were taken today that show the stark differences between the XT5 & the LS aerator. I can forward them via email, but that's all I know how to do right now, cuz I don't know how to post the videos on lawnsite.com.

Which of the 3 would work for me? It would be the XT5 due to ease of use, number of plugs, and depth of plugs.

Regarding the LS with caster wheels? The videos look very cool, but nobody around here has first-hand experience with it. So far, no midwest Toro dealers have plans to sell them. (maybe later) :confused:

The Plugr 855 was awesome, but it's a different class of aerator. (kinda like the LA 28). Very nice unit, nice company. Keep in mind that I have never used the 855. The new 855 also eliminated moving parts to make it more bullet proof. I only saw it operated by their rep today (nice guy) So I cannot say good or bad about it. Yet it pulled deeper & more plugs than the LS & TURFCO hydro aerators. My only concern would be operator fatigue, but don't quote me on this.

So larry you say it's essayer to lower the tines on xt5 than the LS aerator.

I demoed both at GIE last year and they were both real hard to lower the tines. That was a real disappointment but maybe Turfco made a change ?

Both machines were about the same in ease to turn But the XT5 i demoed was noisey. Maybe there were changes made here to.

try youtube and you can be famous

Charles Cue

DA Quality Lawn & YS
07-21-2011, 11:42 PM
Larry - hope you had a good time at the field trials. I could not make it down....being solo still too much to do to take a total day off.
Thanks for the update on the XT5.....I am going to make my call to order soon.
Here is what I want to know: how much is physical effort reduced %wise over using a std unit like a Ryan? 50% less effort? More/less?
Also, does the XT5 come with the weights when you buy one?

Also, feel free to shoot those vids to my e-mail address - you have it.

DA

jfoxtrot9
07-22-2011, 05:17 PM
If this is a competition demo, why wouldn't the XT5 be set for max depth? That just doen't make sense. Who wants to pull shallow plugs? What was the LS set at?

As far as speed, I cannot set my LS at max speed and keep up with it very well walking, so the speed comparison also doesn't make sense. Just sayin'.

Concerning number of plugs; it is my understanding that the 24" Turfco has the same number of tines as the 21" LS, so how more plugs? Am I wrong on this tine count? If anyone knows of this fact, please state the number of tines on the XT5.

As far as ease of use. For anyone who has ever used the old standard style aerators out there, you know how cumbersome they are to operate. The new hydros are night and day! That is not an overstatement. I would take any hydro machine out there vs operating another "old style" machine. To raise and drop tines on my LS takes some effort. A hard push down or hard pull up on a single handle. The thing is, with the hydro machines you only have to do this once on a property unless crossing concrete or something you don't want to roll the tines over. My point is, the effort required to raise/lower tines is almost a non issue anymore so this part of the comparison is almost silly.

I am not endorsing any machine. I am only stating the facts on what I know from what I have operated.

Lastly, what does it matter now? You can't get a LS machine now anyway so go order your new Turfco. The season is almost upon us!

CHARLES CUE
07-22-2011, 05:36 PM
Larry - hope you had a good time at the field trials. I could not make it down....being solo still too much to do to take a total day off.
Here is what I want to know: how much is physical effort reduced %wise over using a std unit like a Ryan? 50% less effort? More/less?

DA

DA these machines are real easy to operate

You demoed one it was the XT5 or iam i wrong

I would say more like 75% less effort

You need to order sounds like Turfco will be backed up soon if toro don't give out some good solid info soon

These are nice machines

Charles Cue

americanlawn
07-22-2011, 07:31 PM
Yes, it's much easier than the LS 21". We've never seen the smaller TURFCO hydro aerator, but their new 24" XT5 hydro was so easy to lift/drop the tines that I could hardly believe it (almost effortless).

The 24" XT5 was the quietest of all 3, but the LS unit was a close 2nd. The Plugr was very noisy >> it sounded like he was hitting rocks, yet he wasn't. I thought that was kinda weird??

The 24" XT5 turned "way easier" than the LS & Plugr -- turfcobob was so busy that I was not able to get all the details on how their new aerator is different from their 21" unit, but one thing was the outer tines are free-wheeling so it makes it much easier to turn. Folks that have viewed the 2 videos will notice this, cuz I made tight turns with the tines down while not tearing up turf.

Regarding the Plugr....specs say it's a 30 inch effective width, but the rep told me it's only 27 1/2 inches. I also thought the XT5 had about the same effective pattern.. Looking at brochures is one thing, but a side by side comparison is a whole lot better.....especially regarding a buying decision.

Bottom line: If I were buying an aerator, it would be the 24" XT5. Or else the caster wheel Toro/Lawn Solutions aerator (but I don't know the performance, future availability, or what's gunna happen cuz of their patent violations).

my 2 cents, and the 2 cents of many who attended the 2011 Iowa Turf Show

Maybe somebody smarter than me can download the 2 videos on youtube.

So larry you say it's essayer to lower the tines on XT5 than the LS aerator.

I demoed both at GIE last year and they were both real hard to lower the tines. That was a real disappointment but maybe Turfco made a change ?

Both machines were about the same in ease to turn But the XT5 i demoed was noisey. Maybe there were changes made here to.

try youtube and you can be famous

Charles Cue

americanlawn
07-22-2011, 08:35 PM
Hi buddy - I just sent you the two ISU aerator videos. (If you did not receive them, please let me know)

Don't know about % of physical effort. But the XT5 is about the same as using a self-propelled lawn mower. If I were using the XT5, I would make make a perimeter pass & then go in "circles" to eliminate "making passes" (even though you easily could).

Not sure if the 2 weights come with the 24" XT5, cuz we used TURFCO's "payment plan". The XT5 has only 2 weights compared to the 4 weights that Lawn Solution requires to pull decent plugs.

We had two LS aerators, but their plug depth sucked. So we sold one & kept one. Our LS units came with only one weight, and they only pulled one-inch plugs at best. Then we e-mailed & called several times trying to order extra weights.....no response (we were desprate) After weeks of trying, we finally were able to get some guy on the phone. He said we needed 2 more weights on top, and another weight in the front. I thought -- okay, that's cool. But after MONTHS went by with no aerator weights, I posted on lawnsite. Soon after that, David replied via lawnsite.com saying my "credibility" was sh$t. Meanwhile, we were still waiting for our weights. Bottom line: It took damn near a half a year to get our LS weights. Then to top it off, Lawn Solutions shipped each of the 3 extra weights "separately". This was a total ripoff cuz we were charged UPS shipping for each individual weight.

Folks probably think the Lawn Solutions units & the TURFCO units look alike. I agree, but there are several significant differences regarding design.

here's my little 2 cents >> At first I thought it was "low rent" for a company to copy the exact "color" of competitor's equipment. But when they went so far as to copy technology (U.S patents), that was the straw that broke the camel's back. I hope they become accountable. Kinda like Dupont & Imprellis.

DA

aeration
07-23-2011, 08:00 PM
I purchased my a LS dually last month. I won't regret it. The latest article I read on Toro/LS aquisition was that Toro was keeping production in Louisville, at least for the short term. That's why they have downtime right now. The 21" will be the "production" version with high volume and rental store sales. The Dually and Ride On will be the premium contractor model.

CHARLES CUE
07-23-2011, 08:37 PM
I purchased my a LS dually last month. I won't regret it. The latest article I read on Toro/LS aquisition was that Toro was keeping production in Louisville, at least for the short term. That's why they have downtime right now. The 21" will be the "production" version with high volume and rental store sales. The Dually and Ride On will be the premium contractor model.

That's what we were told that they will be made in louisville just red.

Maybe in the long run toro will be good for production .

LS was good at ideas but seemed to have problems on the other end.

We will have to wait and see.

Charles Cue

kennc38
07-23-2011, 08:46 PM

Where did you find this article? Would be interested in reading it myself. Thanks.

kennc38
07-25-2011, 07:41 PM
Where did you find this article? Would be interested in reading it myself. Thanks.

Article, anyone?

DA Quality Lawn & YS
07-27-2011, 10:24 AM
Can someone please clarify...

I thought the current XT5 for sale (24" model) was the only hydro aerator model Turfco had ever made. I have heard some references to a 21" model, I didn't think they had a previous version of the XT5?? And Turfco has no plans for a dual hydro type aerator, correct?

Exact Rototilling
07-27-2011, 01:45 PM
Yes only model and I've been watching this for sometime.

The true aeration path width is less than specified. Measure the far left and right tine add an imaginary additional set based on the spacing and that is how.they rate effective width.
Posted via Mobile Device

Exact Rototilling
07-27-2011, 02:01 PM
......Yes only model that is front drive and looks similar to a Lawn Solutions.

I'd really like to see how top heavy the Turfco unit is on side hills....compared to.the LS 21? Also the transport mode with just
Powered front wheels with step access.
All those are pita factors with LS 21
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

americanlawn
07-27-2011, 07:59 PM
Exact Rototilling, thanks. We originally bought two LS 21" hydro aerators a couple years ago. Then after reading posts here, many said the XT5 was identical to the Lawn Solutions aerator (this is why I figured TURFCO made an "identical" 21" aerator rather than the wider 24" unit).

Now that we finally have a TURFCO 24" hydro to compare, I also realize several design differences compared to the LS units (all good ones). The XT5 is not top heavy. This has been top priority with TURFCO....ie the T3000. In open areas, one can quite easily run the XT5 with just one hand. But you need two hands to turn it and running it on slopes.

Regarding front wheel drive, yep the XT5 is the same as the Lawn Solutions aerator. Not sure what you mean regarding step access??

Anybody who wants to demo our XT5 is welcome 7 days a week. We're in Des Moines, IA. :waving:

kennc38
07-28-2011, 02:11 PM
Will be demoing my own XT5 this fall! Actually looking forward to aerating season this year. :) Got my XT5 last week, did a quick demo in my yard and it actually pulled some pretty decent plugs, considering the hard, dry clay soil we have. So far very impressed with the design and easy access to all the maintenance items. Doesn't seem to be top heavy as others suggested, but I have a couple of lawns with some pretty decent hills, so I'll follow up with that in a couple of months. The B&S engine is very quiet too and has plenty of power.

jfoxtrot9
07-28-2011, 03:40 PM
Will be demoing my own XT5 this fall! Actually looking forward to aerating season this year. :) Got my XT5 last week, did a quick demo in my yard and it actually pulled some pretty decent plugs, considering the hard, dry clay soil we have. So far very impressed with the design and easy access to all the maintenance items. Doesn't seem to be top heavy as others suggested, but I have a couple of lawns with some pretty decent hills, so I'll follow up with that in a couple of months. The B&S engine is very quiet too and has plenty of power.

You will find hills easiest going up and down. Down the hill forward and just reverse back up. One of the MAJOR advantages of the hydro drive.

I am curious as to what you think when tackling a hill sideways though. Mine (a 21" LS), like every other aerator that I have ever operatated is indeed too top heavy to do real well at.

Congrats on the purchase. You'll enjoy aerating much more this season, for sure!

kennc38
07-28-2011, 04:28 PM
You will find hills easiest going up and down. Down the hill forward and just reverse back up. One of the MAJOR advantages of the hydro drive.

I am curious as to what you think when tackling a hill sideways though. Mine (a 21" LS), like every other aerator that I have ever operatated is indeed too top heavy to do real well at.

Congrats on the purchase. You'll enjoy aerating much more this season, for sure!

Thanks! I've used Blue Birds and Classens on these same hills going sideways and they tend to be very top heavy and tend to "dig in" on the down side of the hill. I think I can go sideways with the XT5 with most of them, but if I do have to go up and down, the hydro drive with the reverse will sure come in handy and not break my back like the other aerators I've used.

grassyfras
08-25-2011, 10:31 PM
Just bought one. Will let you know.

humble1
09-07-2011, 09:32 AM
just watched the turfco video on there site, I didnt see any plugs actually being pulled. Even when the camera was zoomed in, I saw very little dirt flying. Maybe we could get a better picture on that. I demoed a ls walk behind without any weight it turned nice but the dealer didnt have the weight bar in so it might change how it handles, not sur ethough. Anyone else know if it changes how it steers w/ weight.

Exact Rototilling
09-07-2011, 11:52 AM
just watched the turfco video on there site, I didnt see any plugs actually being pulled. Even when the camera was zoomed in, I saw very little dirt flying. Maybe we could get a better picture on that. I demoed a ls walk behind without any weight it turned nice but the dealer didnt have the weight bar in so it might change how it handles, not sur ethough. Anyone else know if it changes how it steers w/ weight.

American lawn "Larry" has a video he will send you of these units in operation and I think possibly the plugr 855 in there as well. I have not seen it yet. I remember he said the plugr pulled deeper and more plugs but he preferred ease of use of the Xt5....?

I own the older plugr 850 hydro and a LS 2010 WB and I prefer the plugr hands down due to 75% more plugs and I frankly find it easier to maneuver with the exception of the reverse aeration feature on the LS. Plugr aeration width is also wider.

There are some tips and tricks on.operating a plugr that are not picked up until some.hours are put on the machine.

The way reciprocating aerator pull plugs is dramatic compared to the passive action of rolling tines. Plugs are more likely to be poped up to the surface of.the grass blades in.dense.turf for an even more stunning contrast to a rolling tine machine. And it pull more plugs.
Posted via Mobile Device

fl-landscapes
09-07-2011, 04:12 PM
American lawn "Larry" has a video he will send you of these units in operation and I think possibly the plugr 855 in there as well. I have not seen it yet. I remember he said the plugr pulled deeper and more plugs but he preferred ease of use of the Xt5....?

I own the older plugr 850 hydro and a LS 2010 WB and I prefer the plugr hands down due to 75% more plugs and I frankly find it easier to maneuver with the exception of the reverse aeration feature on the LS. Plugr aeration width is also wider.

There are some tips and tricks on.operating a plugr that are not picked up until some.hours are put on the machine.

Exact... I'm not being a dink but I'm not sure if Larry states he can throw frisbies while riding his t3000 more or you talking about the 75 percent more plugs from your plugger's. You guys sure love your particular machines.

The way reciprocating aerator pull plugs is dramatic compared to the passive action of rolling tines. Plugs are more likely to be poped up to the surface of.the grass blades in.dense.turf for an even more stunning contrast to a rolling tine machine. And it pull more plugs.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

americanlawn
09-07-2011, 10:00 PM
Good point. (I just replied via PM cuz I need email addresses in order to forward the two ISU aeration videos).

The Plugr 855 pulled slightly deeper plugs at the event. The XT5 was a close 2nd. The soil was dry, yet it was loam (good soil) The Plugr & the TURFCO XT5 offered the most advantages imo. I am not mentioning the LS hydro unit cuz it did not compare with the above two aerators.

As a business owner, I try to weigh the pros & cons. It's dusk here, and we still have one unit out aerating. They're running XT5's by choice.

Pulling nice plugs now with the XT5 (using the deep setting), while our LS units spend most of their time in the warehouse. Then you get to the Plugr 855 -- nice plugs and about the same speed as the XT5. Our only issue with the 855 is "operator fatigue". Both Plugr & TURFCO are top notch outfits for sure. our 2 cents

My suggestion for anybody is to do a side-by-side comparison. That's what we did. :waving:

Posted via Mobile Device

jfoxtrot9
09-07-2011, 11:28 PM
It's just too bad that the LS situation is where it is. Everyone can compare these same models all they want, but the fact is is that the LS dual hydro smokes them all when it comes to production.

I don't even get why these are being compared anymore, it's been beaten into the dirt. The single hydro machine (that I have been running for 3 years now) is old news. Which btw, I have been pulling nice plugs all this week with and gasp!!! It's not the "new" Turfco! Full compliment of weights, set at the deepest setting (duh, why wouldn't you, I don't get why people keep bringing this up either).

Turfco, step up add make a dual hydro. Make a real splash!

I can't wait for Toro to get their act together and hopefully quickly get out for sell the dual hydro. That is the only machine I will spend my money on at this point.

Yeah, I ordered a dual hydro from LS a month ago, just to get the rug pulled out from under me like the others. It is really a shame that these guys are getting away with that. At least produce what you promised.

To me it's all a joke now. I don't want any of the machines that are on the market right now.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
09-09-2011, 03:28 PM
Wouldn't say several seasons with hydro units out would make them now old news.

Regardless, just got a call from Turfco....my XT5 is shipping out today!
Right when they said it would ship...in fact a few days early.

kennc38
09-09-2011, 05:16 PM

Congrats on your purchase and on-time delivery. Going to put mine to work for the first time this weekend.

jfoxtrot9
09-09-2011, 09:20 PM

Hey DA, I apologize. My intention is not to put down the XT5 or anyone purchasing one. The hydro aerators are absolutely awesome and have changed aerating! I am more than confident that the XT5 is one nice machine. Congrats on your purchase. You will certainly enjoy aerating more this fall!

My comments are really pointed at those who keep comparing their same and repeated goofy points to try and prop up their favorite company or to help themselves feel good about the machine that they own. I currently own an earlier generation 21" LS and although not a perfect machine, it is night and day over the old style. It pulls great plugs (I was out again today pulling 3-4" all day), so when I read individuals stating otherwise, I see an obvious agenda because I can prove them completely WRONG.

I will also admit to total frustration with what I thought was a dual hydro purchase for myself this fall. I am at a place where I am getting enough jobs and larger properties and need a second aerator and looking to decrease user fatigue even more. Just not interested in another single hydro machine and a rider is just out of the budget.

This was the reason behind my last post. Not meant to be an attack on you or the XT5.

Service 1st Lawn Care
09-09-2011, 10:05 PM

Sweet Congrats, mine is suppose to ship Monday I also bought a new Z-Plug should be set for many years to come. Both are quality companies and products.:clapping:

oomph
01-03-2012, 07:37 AM
I'm new to the aeration business, but all these posts have been of great help.

2012 will be my first official season doing Aeration.

I read many good posts regarding the Lawn Solutions product, but now you guys have me leaning towards Turfco.

However, I have a few questions for those of you that have already taken the plunge. How responsive is service and support for your units?

Since they are a factory direct company, how do they handle warranty repairs?

One advantage to possibly holding out for a Toro/Lawn Solutions unit, would be the plethora of Toro and Exmark dealers in my area. The same applies to Plugr. I really don't know how to work on these machines myself quite yet and am waiting for parts to ship may cost me money in the long run.

What are your thoughts?

turfcobob
01-03-2012, 11:12 AM
I'm new to the aeration business, but all these posts have been of great help.

2012 will be my first official season doing Aeration.

I read many good posts regarding the Lawn Solutions product, but now you guys have me leaning towards Turfco.

However, I have a few questions for those of you that have already taken the plunge. How responsive is service and support for your units?

Since they are a factory direct company, how do they handle warranty repairs?

One advantage to possibly holding out for a Toro/Lawn Solutions unit, would be the plethora of Toro and Exmark dealers in my area. The same applies to Plugr. I really don't know how to work on these machines myself quite yet and am waiting for parts to ship may cost me money in the long run.

What are your thoughts?

OOMPH... To begin with these units are very easy to service machines. The chain is probably the only thing you will service on the mechanical side and you can tighten them up without removing the covers. The rear cover comes off giving easy access to the tines / tine reels for cleaning and checking your tines. Tine removal is one bolt. (Quite Easy) Also you have telephone access to the Turfco Service Department 5 days a week. Parts you can order on line or by telephone. Shipping can be overnight if you want. Warranty issues are handled by the dealer of your choosing. You call Turfco and tell the service department what your problem is and they look up Turfco Servicing Dealers in your area. If these do not work for you, just tell the Service Department who you want to do the service, Turfco will call them arrange for the service and you just take the machine in. As simple as that. This has been working for us since 1999 and seems to work quite well. Any more questions you can call me direct office 520-836-8162 cell 402-432-2446

kennc38
01-03-2012, 07:52 PM
OOMPH... To begin with these units are very easy to service machines. The chain is probably the only thing you will service on the mechanical side and you can tighten them up without removing the covers.

Bob - Once you adjust/tighten the chain idler, how to you check the chain tension without removing the chain guards (covers). Or are you referring to different covers? Thanks.

turfcobob
01-04-2012, 11:53 AM
Bob - Once you adjust/tighten the chain idler, how to you check the chain tension without removing the chain guards (covers). Or are you referring to different covers? Thanks.

You use the same opening in the chain cover.

oomph
01-04-2012, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the info Bob.

After speaking over the phone with you and reading other users posts, I feel that I got a better understanding of your product.

It was a tough decision, Lawn Solutions, Plugr and Turfco all seem to have a good product that would fit my business model.

However, after speaking to Turfcobob, I feel confident that I'll get adequate support on the product. Also, Lawn Solutions change over to Toro and the product re-design under the new branding because of the patent infringements made me reconsider my purchase.

I'll report my results back to the forum this spring after I've had some experience running the Turfco unit. Again, thank you everyone for your input.

kennc38
01-04-2012, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the info Bob.

After speaking over the phone with you and reading other users posts, I feel that I got a better understanding of your product.

It was a tough decision, Lawn Solutions, Plugr and Turfco all seem to have a good product that would fit my business model.

However, after speaking to Turfcobob, I feel confident that I'll get adequate support on the product. Also, Lawn Solutions change over to Toro and the product re-design under the new branding because of the patent infringements made me reconsider my purchase.

I'll report my results back to the forum this spring after I've had some experience running the Turfco unit. Again, thank you everyone for your input.

I bought an XT5 last fall and have been very pleased with the results, product support and ease of maintenance.

You use the same opening in the chain cover.

Thanks Bob.

oomph
04-06-2012, 12:54 AM
Just an update, I received my Turfco XT5 and I am very happy with it thus far. I noticed that another poster mentioned that the tines were difficult to adjust. This is NOT the case with my XT5, it's actually VERY easy and simple to adjust. Smooth as butter.

Also, the engine is not noisy. I got the Briggs Engine. Considered the Subaru engine long and hard, but in the end I am happy with my purchase.

Gerry Barr
04-07-2012, 09:54 PM
Has anyone purchased the turfco xt5 with the Subaru motor? I purchased this unit 2 weeks ago and we have done over 100 jobs with it so I feel I have tested it well and it has been nothing but trouble.

I chose the Subaru engine because I have a Subaru engine in my one of my lawn edger’s, lawn solutions seeder, and my power washer. This Subaru motor in this equipment has been as good as any of my Honda motors so I became a big fan of Subaru small engines which made choosing the Subaru a no brainer when I purchased the Turfco xt5

Problem one: After unpacking this unit it would not run for more than a few minutes running without abruptly stopping. After about an hour of messing with it gave up. The next day one of my guys got it to run so we put it in the trailer to test it out.

Problem 2: Tiny gas tank, maybe 12 – 16 oz. tank at best. We were half way through our 2nd residential aeration of the day and it ran out of gas. My thought was that I just did not fill the tank up completely. The next Job a HOA property about 15k sf. Got one guys on the Turfco then other on our big split drive claussen. The turfco had to be filled up twice to complete the job so my guy had to huff it to the truck get the gas to fill the turfco up. I have never owned commercial equipment that would only run for 30 minutes before running out of gas. This is a big issue when this aerator runs out of gas we can be several hundred feet away from the truck. Very unproductive With a two man crew we do about 12-15 aeration's a day. too much time is spent filling the tank. Per Turfco they have sold many with this motor and there have not been any complaints with the short run time per tank. This may not be a problem with the size of the tank but perhaps my engine has an issue that is consuming fuel faster.

Problem 3: Problem 1 has resurfaced. The unit will abruptly stop running 1-3 times per tank about every other tank. Takes a few pulls to get it going then runs fine until it will abruptly stop running again. Ad refueling every other job and too much time is wasted throughout the day.

Problem 4: First job of the day this engine is a bear to start when it has sits overnight. It takes 25 – 40 pulls to get this running in the morning. This is not an exaggeration. By day 2 of using this machine my guys started counting how many pulls it took to it running so the 25-40 pulls is accurate. Now no one wants the first job with this machine because starting it will wear you out for the day. And these 25 -40 pulls are not Honda motor easy pulls this machine has some compression and takes allot of effort.

Problem 5: Turfco service was great when I purchased the unit. Now there response time and answers to my issues is terrible at best. Still waiting for my call back from Turfco from last week. Now that my 14 day trial period has ended (yesterday) I am guessing they will be calling me to tell me I own it.

When this machine is running it’s a fantastic machine. If I did not have this engine problem, and short run time issues I would have no complaints.

I would love to hear form anyone on this forum has the Turfco x5 with the Subaru motor and if you have seen the issues I have. If not then perhaps I got the lemon out of the bunch.

For now with the engine intermittently shutting off this aerator is going to sit until Turfco either fixes this unit, ship one with the briggs or refunds my money.

oomph
04-07-2012, 11:25 PM
Gerry,

I'm having the same issues as far as gas consumption goes on the Briggs engine. At best, i get 1.5 1/4 acre lots done on a tank of gas.

Right now, I run three Aerators
1- Classen TA-18
1- Ryan V
1- Turfco

I filled up the Turfco twice today and didn't have to put gas in either of my other mowers. Both my Ryan and Classen have Honda Engines in them and have been super reliable. The Turfco is performing well thus far and it's night and day to use over the other too as far as operator fatigue goes. Core wise, it pulls good plugs; however I can't really say that the plugs are much better than my Classen in terms of depth.

Does anyone know if Toro/Exmark is putting the Honda engines in the new Lawn Solutions aerators?

I'm half tempted to return the Turfco and pick up a Lawn Solutions? I know the old green Lawn Solutions units had the Honda Engine as an option.

LawnSolutionsCP
04-08-2012, 10:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIelBMvQdGM

This should answer your questions....it amazes me when people make a purchase without doing their homework. It shouldn't even be close. Just try one and see for yourself.

There are specs on both.

www.exmark.com

and

www.toro.com

Duekster
04-08-2012, 12:35 PM

This should answer your questions....it amazes me when people make a purchase without doing their homework. It shouldn't even be close. Just try one and see for yourself.

There are specs on both.

www.exmark.com

and

www.toro.com

Seems the exmark 24" aerator is no longer offered.

LawnSolutionsCP
04-08-2012, 01:12 PM
not until later this summer.

Duekster
04-08-2012, 02:00 PM
not until later this summer.

Got a ball park on what it will cost? Even the smaller unit. I do not get a lot of request so we typically rent when needed but those units are brutal to run.

Thinking of buying a nice unit then pushing the service or including it in squirt and fert program.

LawnSolutionsCP
04-08-2012, 02:39 PM
estimate...3400-3500 but dealers give pricing based on several factors...I know they have discounts if purchased with mowers.

Duekster
04-08-2012, 02:46 PM
estimate...3400-3500 but dealers give pricing based on several factors...I know they have discounts if purchased with mowers.

Which unit is that the larger one?

I might be picking up a mower this year too. Not sure yet.

LawnSolutionsCP
04-08-2012, 02:58 PM
There is 21" Single Hydro, 24" Dual Hydro, 30" Riding...which one?

Duekster
04-08-2012, 03:05 PM
There is 21" Single Hydro, 24" Dual Hydro, 30" Riding...which one?

I am most interested in the 24 dual hydro which I expect is 3200 to 3500.
Might consider the single hydro 21 since we do not do a ton of aeration if the price difference is significant.

The 30 is nice but too big to get into a 36" gate.

LawnSolutionsCP
04-08-2012, 03:06 PM
Entry 24" Dual Hydro will be around 4,900

The 30" machine is the real money maker!

Duekster
04-08-2012, 03:12 PM
Entry 24" Dual Hydro will be around 4,900

The 30" machine is the real money maker! For who the dealer? J/K

I am sure it would be on estate lawns and commerical accounts with wide open spaces.

LawnSolutionsCP
04-08-2012, 03:15 PM
Most companies who have them are doing 600+ aerations in the fall with just 1 person per machine.

You need a lot of jobs to keep one buisy.

Duekster
04-08-2012, 03:23 PM
Most companies who have them are doing 600+ aerations in the fall with just 1 person per machine.

You need a lot of jobs to keep one buisy.

My commerical accounts are the middle market type.
My residentials are a mix of estate, horse farms and decent track homes.

I suppose I need to find someone with the 21. I can demo

LawnSolutionsCP
04-08-2012, 03:56 PM
That is what I would do....local dealer will have them.

oomph
04-09-2012, 02:34 AM
LawnSolutionsCP

Could you clarify on what the differences between the 30" Stander version of the Toro and Exmark are?

I couldn't really tell from the information on the websites. At least nothing really stood out at me. Perhaps I just missed it.

lawn king
04-10-2012, 06:41 AM
Did all the former lawn solutions dealers pick up the exmark lines for aerators?

turfcobob
04-10-2012, 12:58 PM
Has anyone purchased the turfco xt5 with the Subaru motor? I purchased this unit 2 weeks ago and we have done over 100 jobs with it so I feel I have tested it well and it has been nothing but trouble.

I chose the Subaru engine because I have a Subaru engine in my one of my lawn edger’s, lawn solutions seeder, and my power washer. This Subaru motor in this equipment has been as good as any of my Honda motors so I became a big fan of Subaru small engines which made choosing the Subaru a no brainer when I purchased the Turfco xt5

Problem one: After unpacking this unit it would not run for more than a few minutes running without abruptly stopping. After about an hour of messing with it gave up. The next day one of my guys got it to run so we put it in the trailer to test it out.

Problem 2: Tiny gas tank, maybe 12 – 16 oz. tank at best. We were half way through our 2nd residential aeration of the day and it ran out of gas. My thought was that I just did not fill the tank up completely. The next Job a HOA property about 15k sf. Got one guys on the Turfco then other on our big split drive claussen. The turfco had to be filled up twice to complete the job so my guy had to huff it to the truck get the gas to fill the turfco up. I have never owned commercial equipment that would only run for 30 minutes before running out of gas. This is a big issue when this aerator runs out of gas we can be several hundred feet away from the truck. Very unproductive With a two man crew we do about 12-15 aeration's a day. too much time is spent filling the tank. Per Turfco they have sold many with this motor and there have not been any complaints with the short run time per tank. This may not be a problem with the size of the tank but perhaps my engine has an issue that is consuming fuel faster.

Problem 3: Problem 1 has resurfaced. The unit will abruptly stop running 1-3 times per tank about every other tank. Takes a few pulls to get it going then runs fine until it will abruptly stop running again. Ad refueling every other job and too much time is wasted throughout the day.

Problem 4: First job of the day this engine is a bear to start when it has sits overnight. It takes 25 – 40 pulls to get this running in the morning. This is not an exaggeration. By day 2 of using this machine my guys started counting how many pulls it took to it running so the 25-40 pulls is accurate. Now no one wants the first job with this machine because starting it will wear you out for the day. And these 25 -40 pulls are not Honda motor easy pulls this machine has some compression and takes allot of effort.

Problem 5: Turfco service was great when I purchased the unit. Now there response time and answers to my issues is terrible at best. Still waiting for my call back from Turfco from last week. Now that my 14 day trial period has ended (yesterday) I am guessing they will be calling me to tell me I own it.

When this machine is running it’s a fantastic machine. If I did not have this engine problem, and short run time issues I would have no complaints.

I would love to hear form anyone on this forum has the Turfco x5 with the Subaru motor and if you have seen the issues I have. If not then perhaps I got the lemon out of the bunch.

For now with the engine intermittently shutting off this aerator is going to sit until Turfco either fixes this unit, ship one with the briggs or refunds my money.

We finally got some figures from Subaru on the engine and the gas burn the way we are using it is .11 gal per hr. If it is using more than that the engine should have a tech take a look at it. I recently had a honda do the same thing and when we got to looking the float was stuck and it was spewing gas out of the carb and it was a hidden engine so you could not see it when running. Cleaned float valve and all is well. Spoke with Jim and he said your new engine was at the dealer or should be it was sent. Good luck usually the Subaru engine has been a very good engine. Sorry for your problems

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-14-2012, 12:44 AM
Why did you get the XT5 with a Subaru?
I got the Briggs and it is a single-pullstart-every-time quiet little powerhouse.

WHIPPLE5.7
04-14-2012, 10:26 AM

Basically the same problems here with my Suburu XT5 as well. Worst starting engine I've ever seen. Turfco never bothered to set rpms correctly as its revs to the moon. I'll be fixing that myself. TurfcoBob, to say this engine uses .11 gal of fuel per hour is quite funny. Its more like a gallon an hour. I have to refuel it after 20-25 minutes of running. Smokes pretty bad on startup as well. I had always had about 50/50 luck with Briggs motors in the past and have a good Suburu on my WB edger so thats why I picked it. What mistake. Tech support did get back to me when I called about it but he had no clue of anything at all about Suburu engines didn't seem overly interested in looking into it. Your right, they snappy to answer questions before the sale but after they got your money you end up quite a bit lower on their priorities. No reason at all should I leave emails and voicemails for over a week straight with no call back. Overall I like the machine vs. my old Ryan but the Suburu is not worth buying unless you need a good exercise in the morning tryign to start. I have bad disk in my back and basically smoked my back out one morning a couple weeks just trying to start it to load it into the trailer. By 7:00 I was already in big trouble physically for the rest of the day.

RABBITMAN11
04-14-2012, 04:16 PM
Send it back and buy the dual hydro exmark.
Posted via Mobile Device

oomph
10-29-2012, 01:08 AM
Is the dual hydro Exmark available yet?

Last I spoke to my dealer, they said it was delayed.

RABBITMAN11
10-29-2012, 01:17 PM
I have one for sale! New exmarks are going to be 5900. Mine in for sale for 3500.00
Posted via Mobile Device

CHARLES CUE
10-29-2012, 03:17 PM
Is the dual hydro Exmark available yet?

Last I spoke to my dealer, they said it was delayed.

Don't know if they will ever be available but they had one out at the GIE show on display

Charles Cue

RABBITMAN11
10-29-2012, 03:52 PM
Don't know if they will ever be available but they had one out at the GIE show on display

Charles Cue

Spring time
Posted via Mobile Device

CHARLES CUE
10-29-2012, 09:21 PM
Spring time
Posted via Mobile Device

Yea but of what YEAR

Charles Cue

turfcobob
10-30-2012, 10:40 AM
Have you spoken with our service department about this? Subaru has be very good in working with us and we are getting fast response from them. Also at the show we had the XT5 Subaru with a one gallon tank that is available as a kit that takes about a half hour to put on. Cost is for parts.

Basically the same problems here with my Suburu XT5 as well. Worst starting engine I've ever seen. Turfco never bothered to set rpms correctly as its revs to the moon. I'll be fixing that myself. TurfcoBob, to say this engine uses .11 gal of fuel per hour is quite funny. Its more like a gallon an hour. I have to refuel it after 20-25 minutes of running. Smokes pretty bad on startup as well. I had always had about 50/50 luck with Briggs motors in the past and have a good Suburu on my WB edger so thats why I picked it. What mistake. Tech support did get back to me when I called about it but he had no clue of anything at all about Suburu engines didn't seem overly interested in looking into it. Your right, they snappy to answer questions before the sale but after they got your money you end up quite a bit lower on their priorities. No reason at all should I leave emails and voicemails for over a week straight with no call back. Overall I like the machine vs. my old Ryan but the Suburu is not worth buying unless you need a good exercise in the morning tryign to start. I have bad disk in my back and basically smoked my back out one morning a couple weeks just trying to start it to load it into the trailer. By 7:00 I was already in big trouble physically for the rest of the day.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
10-30-2012, 11:23 AM
Bob, can you fit a larger gas tank on the Briggs model? Seems I run about 3 8k sq ft lawns with my XT5 and then I have to refuel. Would like to be able to run a bit longer.

Thanks,
DA

turfcobob
10-30-2012, 02:56 PM
For now we just have the bracket to fit the Subaru engine. I do not know how much modification it would take to fit onto the BS engine. In looking at it I am sure you could confugure it without too much trouble. It has to be bolted to the engine so you can still take off the cover to service the tine area.

Bob, can you fit a larger gas tank on the Briggs model? Seems I run about 3 8k sq ft lawns with my XT5 and then I have to refuel. Would like to be able to run a bit longer.

Thanks,
DA

Duekster
11-19-2012, 10:17 AM

There are specs on both.

www.exmark.com

and

www.toro.com

It also amazes me how a company tells us to do homework and then does not deliver the product. Where is the dual hydro?

RABBITMAN11
11-19-2012, 04:28 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

WHIPPLE5.7
11-22-2012, 02:35 PM
Have you spoken with our service department about this? Subaru has be very good in working with us and we are getting fast response from them. Also at the show we had the XT5 Subaru with a one gallon tank that is available as a kit that takes about a half hour to put on. Cost is for parts.

Back when I got it I made several attempts to contact service and after alittle over a 10 days I finally got someone. The responses I got were arrogant and bascially told me to take it up with Subaru instead of Turfco. Overall I'm not happy with the machine at all. Starting this engine basically smokes my back for atleast a day and thats pretty bad considering I have engines that are 3X bigger that I pull start with very little effort. I ended up only using the machine about 20 times before parking it in the garage and moving on. It would be nice to sell it but I doubt anyone local would buy it, most here run Plugr. In fact the bad luck I had with this machine was one of factors that lead me to give up the biz and get a day job. I can't dump $3K into a machine that is so hard starting you just give up using it.

americanlawn
12-17-2012, 08:42 PM
you serious?

turfcobob
12-18-2012, 09:55 AM
Back when I got it I made several attempts to contact service and after alittle over a 10 days I finally got someone. The responses I got were arrogant and bascially told me to take it up with Subaru instead of Turfco. Overall I'm not happy with the machine at all. Starting this engine basically smokes my back for atleast a day and thats pretty bad considering I have engines that are 3X bigger that I pull start with very little effort. I ended up only using the machine about 20 times before parking it in the garage and moving on. It would be nice to sell it but I doubt anyone local would buy it, most here run Plugr. In fact the bad luck I had with this machine was one of factors that lead me to give up the biz and get a day job. I can't dump $3K into a machine that is so hard starting you just give up using it.

I sent you a PM asking you to contact me so we can get to the bottom of this and I have not heard from you. Unless we know who you are we cannot find out what happened and take care of the problem. Bob 520-836-8162

DA Quality Lawn & YS
12-18-2012, 12:18 PM
you serious?

x2.

Nice to see you back Larry.
I run the Briggs on my XT5 it is the most easy pull starting engine I operate.

americanlawn
12-18-2012, 08:01 PM
x2.

Nice to see you back Larry.
I run the Briggs on my XT5 it is the most easy pull starting engine I operate.

Thanks DA. Our XT5's also "start on the first pull". What's amazing, is we did several aeration/seeding jobs on a street where the County dug the ditches deeper (to allow for better drainage). The XT5 "climbed" those steep ditches, manuevered around concrete culverts, and still pulled plenty of nice plugs at the same time. These "culvert areas" were not part of the bids, and the customers acknowledged it (due to the extreme slopes), as well as possible dangerous operating conditions.

Our LS walk-behind has not been used for 2 years. It "sits" because my guys prefer the XT5 >> faster, more manueverable, better plugs, more plugs, more user friendly & safer.

Experience: We were one of the first to compare the LS vs XT5. We also performed side-by-side comparisons at land grant university trials.

Our 2 cents. Thanks :usflag:

MachineGrn
03-11-2013, 08:48 PM
I just did a very short demo(like 20feet) on the Toro/LS unit and I thought it was gonna tip over when I got to the side hill. The hill was not too steep and I had problems. I know with my old bluebird, I could have muscled it. Is the LS aerator that bad once you get use to it? How do the XT5s do on hills. I have to run a lot of little hills(small lawns) and dont want to break out another aerator to do that section. I am so close to pulling the plug on one of these machines, but for that kinda money I want a machine that will perform on all types of lawns.

XT5 owners, how does the machine do on hills? Not too steep, but running sideways do they feel like tipping?