PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use this ?

blk90s13
04-14-2011, 10:43 PM
With the dump insert and 2 yards of topsoil you dont wanna see what my truck looks like loaded :cry: so I have to go with some helper rear springs I ran across this and it seems like the easiest way to go with the highest load capacity

what do you think ? or is there a better route for this ?

http://www.truckspring.com/products/Hellwig-Load-Pro-35-Heavy-Duty-Helper-Spring__HW3520-25300.aspx

Hawg City Lawns
04-15-2011, 12:41 AM
these look great only problem is they will make the rear pretty bouncy when unloaded

might look at airbags but im pretty sure id stick with the springs

White Gardens
04-15-2011, 01:25 AM
2 yards of topsoil is going to weigh in the neighborhood of 3- 3.5 tons.

Whatever truck you are using, that's a lot if your GVWR is under 16,000lbs.

Even my dump will only haul 3.5 tons legally.

blk90s13
04-15-2011, 09:20 AM
2 yards of topsoil is going to weigh in the neighborhood of 3- 3.5 tons.

Whatever truck you are using, that's a lot if your GVWR is under 16,000lbs.

Even my dump will only haul 3.5 tons legally.

yea thats what I figured it was specially it was soaking wet from rain the day before, not sure about air bags they scare me if they go boom in the middle of a job or trip

White Gardens
04-15-2011, 09:37 AM
yea thats what I figured it was specially it was soaking wet from rain the day before, not sure about air bags they scare me if they go boom in the middle of a job or trip

Na, airbags would probably hold up. If you burst a set of air-bags then you are way over-doing it anyways.

My concern would be stopping that big of a load. Do you plan on just using the insert for what it is, or do you plan on over-loading it constantly? My 01, 3500 HD dually has 4 wheel disc and even a full load takes a bit to stop.

Just from a safety factor, that big a load on your truck is going to be pushing the envelope. I'd consider a dump trailer when you need to haul quantity.

STIHL GUY
04-15-2011, 12:40 PM
personally i would go with airbags. i have them on my 2500HD and there great. i got the airlift loadlifter 5000 and have no regrets or problems

TC LAWNCARE
04-15-2011, 02:07 PM
I have air bags on my 05 dodge 2500 with an 8ft insert and have no touble holding 3yrds mulch or 2yds stone while towing a 20ft enclosed at the same time. The truck barely squats when loaded......you just dont drive it like you stole it and stopping is not an issue. love my insert and love my bags!

White Gardens
04-15-2011, 03:18 PM
Alright, I'm going to go into a rant like I have on PlowSite and guys overloading their trucks, take it as me being a jerk if you wish, I don't care.

Quit over-loading your under-rated trucks. 2 yards of stone or 3 yards of dirt is over-loading your truck.

Not only is your truck not rated to haul that capacity, it's not legal. Get a truck or trailer that will handle the loads. Overloading a truck is dangerous not only for yourself but everyone else on the roads.

Stuff like this ticks me off.

JPsDuramax
04-15-2011, 04:14 PM
White Gardens, I have to agree with you. The trucks have ratings for a reason. If you want to haul heavy loads buy a bigger truck. I know most people don't have the money to invest in trucks and equipment these days, but imagine how much it will cost you if you cause an accident and they find out you're overloaded. Just my 2 cents.
Posted via Mobile Device

blk90s13
04-15-2011, 09:35 PM
Alright, I'm going to go into a rant like I have on PlowSite and guys overloading their trucks, take it as me being a jerk if you wish, I don't care.

Quit over-loading your under-rated trucks. 2 yards of stone or 3 yards of dirt is over-loading your truck.

Not only is your truck not rated to haul that capacity, it's not legal. Get a truck or trailer that will handle the loads. Overloading a truck is dangerous not only for yourself but everyone else on the roads.

Stuff like this ticks me off.

you are so right but till I can afford a nice dump ( diesel newer and not just old junk ) I will work with what I have and try to keep it within weight limit

my truck got all disc around not that it raises the GVWR but it does help stopping

I did another 2 ton of stone today but I split it into two trips and it wasnt bad at all

Thanks for your advice

White Gardens
04-15-2011, 09:52 PM
you are so right but till I can afford a nice dump ( diesel newer and not just old junk ) I will work with what I have and try to keep it within weight limit

my truck got all disc around not that it raises the GVWR but it does help stopping

I did another 2 ton of stone today but I split it into two trips and it wasnt bad at all

Thanks for your advice

If money is an issue, then you can go buy a cheap dump trailer or rent a dump trailer for the day from a local rental house. Heck, even some dump trailers can haul close to 5-6 tons legally. The advantage is that you don't have to have another truck, and there should be brakes on the dump trailer. The load is also distributed and only putting appropriate weight on the tongue and hitch.

Even with my C3500HD, GVWR with (15kgvwr)16K plates, I can only haul 3.5 tons at a time. I'm even considering a dump trailer as a supplement and then put 2 tons on the truck and whatever on the dump trailer to stay under CDL range.

Good job on splitting the load. Thumbs Up Better safe than sorry. Like I said, I might have been a jerk, but I know there is a lot of guys out there who don't think twice about over-loading a truck. 1500's, 2500's, F150's,250's etc. (even SRW 350's 3500's) Those trucks might have the same drive line as some bigger trucks, but the frames aren't as beefy, the gearing ratio is different, and the disc brakes are smaller.