PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Solutions Rider and Dual Hydro Walk Behind

aeration
04-15-2011, 12:46 PM
I had a chance to meet up with David Cook and demo the new LS Dual Hydro Walk Behind. And while I was at it, transport it around in my 5x10 trailer with side load gate. Notice the sulky on the back. There is even enough room for it. Needless to say.....IMPRESSIVE. Thanks for your time, David.

RABBITMAN11
04-15-2011, 03:32 PM
Very Nice......

robertsturf
04-15-2011, 03:48 PM
I like the one on the back the best!!!

kennc38
04-15-2011, 05:54 PM
Did you use them or drive around with them on your trailer? lol I'm interested in the 24" dual and would love to hear how it performed and maybe some pics/video if you have any. Also, will you be posting a more detailed review later of how it performed? Thanks.

jalderfer63
04-15-2011, 10:04 PM
So how did the 24" work did you like it?How long did it take to do a 10,000s.f. lawn.Did it pull alot of plugs?I am very interestd in this machine.Just looking for some good info about this machine.

aeration
04-16-2011, 02:02 AM
With both machines going, we aerated three 13,000ft. lots. Two next to each other and the other across the street. 43 minutes. That should answer a lot of questions. How did I like the 24"? I'm buying one for the fall season.

aeration
04-16-2011, 02:03 AM
Bottom line.....stop wasting your time with the other brands. Buy a Lawn Solutions product. You won't regret it.

Exact Rototilling
04-16-2011, 02:31 AM
Really want to know the tine spacing on the new 24"....?

As of late I'm also wondering about the tine spacing on the stander?
Posted via Mobile Device

Exact Rototilling
04-16-2011, 03:30 AM
Still would like to take the stander and that new 24" for a spin.

I can really see myself going to an almost ALL aeration Co. And raising my prices on mowing to the point of not having them anymore. July and August off....shucks darn.

The stander and 24" look like it can knock out properties quickly. No doubt faster than my plugr 850's or a Ryan 28. Yeah they pull more plugs but they are slower.
Posted via Mobile Device

LawnSolutionsCP
04-16-2011, 10:32 AM
How was the speed, power, smoothness of the controls, ease to raise and lower on the fly?

How was the overall mobility, flexibility, and feel?

LawnSolutionsCP
04-16-2011, 10:34 AM
Did it live upto the hype?

Marek
04-16-2011, 11:35 AM
When will the dual hydro be released ?

LawnSolutionsCP
04-16-2011, 11:42 AM
We are shipping out units daily. Went into production 2 weeks ago.

fatboynormmie
04-16-2011, 02:52 PM
The new unit looks awesome.I love the engine upgrade choice nice job!!!!Does the 4500 include the sulky?

As far as the evaluation on the performance from the 24" I think it may be a little premature as there aren't many people running them yet to really give a true evaluation.Like many times before certain loyalist's to LS that drank the coolaid give generalized reviews like( there great don't look any further) or show only pics of the absolute best plugs a unit can pull but never take pics of the average plug it pulls most of the time.Maybe these guy's are getting some kind of special favors for being loyal I don't know.But vague reviews like your's Aeration I feel is more about propaganda then an unbiased review.How about a review of what you actually liked about the unit and the difference's between it and your 21"machine.How about some facts, that's the kind of content most readers want.

David builds solid hard working machines and this is in no way a dis to him or his equipment.But every piece of equipment inherently has flaws or weak points.It's knowing these flaws before hand and being ok with it before making a purchase that makes you an educated consumer.Fella's like rabbitman,Lawn King and Aeration with their vague glowing reviews is great for LS but in reality is doing a disservice to your lawncare brotherhood who are looking for actual factual data.I'm sorry but I have to discount your reviews as I feel they are self serving. Not trying to hurt any feelings out there but I call a spade a spade and sometime's that make's me unpopular but you know what I never lose an ounce of sleep over it.

LawnSolutionsCP
04-16-2011, 03:21 PM
Here is what I would recommend...and I'm serious.

Get on a plane or bus and come visit our factory and demo the equipment. I have guys do it all the time....at first I was surprised but considering most people are spending $10-15k on seeders and aerators why wouldn't you go try them in person, tour the facility, talk with the product support people. We frequently pick people up from the Louisville airport about 10 minutes from our facility several times a year.

Buying our equipment is an investment and can make your business.

Simple put, our 21" entry level aerator in the nicest from a fit, finish, feel, and also easiest to use in the industry...not and opinion, but a fact. You could argue the limitation would be it only weighs 400 lbs with weights but that is also the most in the industry. It could be faster but we also sell them to rental stores, but it is still the most productive to use on residential lawns just due to the maneuvering ability. It is the best all aroudn aerator for samll LCOs and rentals....does a great job and anyone can use it with ZERO training.

The 24" dual hydro is 2x the machine of our 21" due to the speed, power, feel, and ability to ride instead of walk....the 24" uses biased lifting to make raising and lower the tine on the 535lb aerator quick and easy when riding along on our sulky. This is truely a commercial piece of equipment....go slow and get used to it before letting it run wide open!

The Riding aerator is by far the best and effortless to operate. It is the most versatile and is limited only to the 47.5" width for small gates. It can actually get into tighter areas than pretty much anything. Pulls more plugs than anything other than a cam aerator, but is 4x-5x faster than any cam aerator and pulls deeper cores as well even in hard ground.

Again, trying it is a must!

Especially with some of the claims I see in the industry. The regret of buying something you think is asgood as a LS aerator will last much longer than the pain of buying a ticket to go demo and find our for sure what is better.

There are very good videos on YouTube showing all 3 aerators we currently produce along with their ability to pull very nice plugs.

fatboynormmie
04-16-2011, 03:51 PM
Thanks for your operations review it seems to be solid and fair especially for the 21" machine I own.

Flying to your location to demo does seem like a good idea and shouldn't cost much from my location so that is a viable option.It is nice your offering to pick up cust's from the airport.

When you buy the 24" machine is the sulky included?

aeration
04-16-2011, 04:24 PM
24" Dually: Smooth controls. Couldn't tell the difference between it and a hydro walk behind mower. Speed: At top speed (whatever it is), I had to jog to keep up with it. The Honda motor was quiet and smooth. Tine engagement: Fairly difficult without the sulky. With the sulky and slightly shifting body weight to my heels, lifting the tines with the handle became much easier. I didn't like the reverse mode as well as the reverse on my 21"

Speaking of my 21", I have the pistol grip style handle (the older style). I have to stretch my right hand a bit with the handle is in the fast position when transitioning to a slower speed or reverse. I found out the intent is so the cotrol won't be as touchy. The shorter distance you have to pull on the handle, the more sensitive the response will be. Also, the gas tanks (on my older version) are too small. This has been addressed. In addition, the 21" doesn't pull itself up my trailer gate/ramp as easily as the other brands. I simply pull up on the handles which causes the front end to obtain better traction up the gate. An extra 5 seconds of exertion vs. the physicality of the beater style aerators. You decide. I can aerate in reverse as opposed to the old world style beater aerators. Do you think that might be handy in the PITA park strips?

Overall experience of the 24": A-. If the reverse had the same feel as my 21", it would be a near perfect score.

As far as self serving, my comments are not intented to be self serving. I am extremely satisfied with my LS equipment. As a guy that started aerating out of the back of my truck to my current setup, I've aerated quite my share of lawns. I've used Billy Goat, Blue Bird, Ryan, Classen and I owned a Plugger PL800 (non hydro; it was terrible). After three lawns, my right knee would get sore. After using a LS 21", I can aerate 11 in a day and not feel any pain. No explanation needed on sore knee analogy. Obviously, the LS is much easier on the body. I tend to come across over the top when talking about LS because I've tried the other brands. LS has revolutionized lawn aerification with cutting edge products. A lot of guys on this site are typical, average people. And what I mean by typical and average is they resist change. If you want to continue to bust you body with traditional aerators, go ahead. I've taken an easier approach. The other brands have done nothing to help make the job easier on you for the last 25 years. The aerators are the same. That's sad and a dis-service to their customers.

As a part time aerating business, I felt confident enough in LS to purchase a $9K rider and a $3500 WB because I wanted quality, control, feel, and ease of operation and on my body. I will also be dropping another $4500 for the 24" for the Fall season. Just before I checked this thread, I completed a job ahead of the showers we are now getting. It was a 14,900 sq. ft. lot. 26 mintues and that included a double pass on the front lawn and screwing around with a swingset. They slow you down, cutting around and under them. Do the math. With a rider and a 24" w/sulky we completed 3 13,000 ft. lawns in 43 minutes. Do the math. As far as perfect cores in pictures, well thanks, they are from my lawn. One in which I aerate 3 or 4 times/year.

So there you have it. Pros and cons of the 24" and the 21" And David, make sure that koolaid is cherry limeade next time. It's my favorite.

aeration
04-16-2011, 04:32 PM
As far as pefect cores, those pics are because of demand from subscribers on this site. I don't always get those cores in all of my lawns. 350 lbs is just that. 350 lbs. If the ground it too hard (for whatever reason), the tines are not going to properly penetrate the soil. It is a hollow tine aerator. Not an auger.

To go one stop farther, our clay in Ft. Wayne was so hard and dry last Fall, my 1000lb rider with an additional 200lbs (me) on it, was lifted off the ground when I turned the pressure to it's maximum. The tines lowered to the ground and could not penetrate the ground past about 1/2-3/4 inch. Does that make it a poor performing machine?

Exact Rototilling
04-16-2011, 04:37 PM
Ok here is my angle. My Lawn Solutions 21 WB unit is built like tank easy to use but plug count is less than my Plugr 850's. The I'm 100% certain it will out last my Plugrs long term. Yes one can pull deeper plugs with the full weight kit on the 21" in the right conditions. I did comparison side by side with a Bluebird 530. Hands down the My Lawn Solutions pulled better plugs. But the Plugr 850 blew them both out of the water.

I bought the LS WB 21 last year spring as wasn't sure how market it compared to Plugr 850. I had several complaints on fewer plugs. After those complaints I found myself going over smaller properties twice to get more plugs which did yield more than a single Plugr 850 pass just to satisfy myself. I'm now marketing the services at different price points.

The folks at Plugr will not like me to say this but I will never own or recommend a non hydro push and tug fest plugr PL400, 410, 600 or 800. I've had fair share of durability issue with my original Plugr 850 the rear frame was recently repaired and I will be submitting the bill to Plugr for a warranty claim. The engine case on my GX200 cracked due to the pounding and lack of a perfectly flat mounting surface. Welding shop fixed the crack and it is back in service. My Plugr 850 also burn up tines rapidly. I can see the wear on bigger properties. So my angle is I need more $ out of those aeration to offset all the trouble and wear and tear. Years ago someone from Plugr even asked me to give a testimony to talk up the 850 for their marketing material. Not going to happen.

What interests me about the Lawn Solutions stander and the 24 dually is the productivity boost over my Plugr 850 making a double pass.

So what I'm asking what is the tine spacing on the 24" and the Stander? Of all the published tine spec on the web my LS 21 WB is the most sparse pattern out there at 3.5" x 9". For whatever reason I was under the impression it was 3.5" x 6" and that would make it the tightest pattern rolling tine WB unit on the planet. Fact is it is not. I even talked up that issue up on percentage basis in one of my mailers before I measured the unit fore and aft had others confirm. Sure many won't notice but a few of my customer did last spring. I've been trying to verify tine spacing on Turfco units but I have not been able to measure them myself. I believe it MAY be 4" x 8". Slightly more sparse mathematically over the LS 21 WB. Yeah sure I understand the soil fracturing angle of rolling tine aerations over reciprocating but I don't buy it that fewer plugs with rolling tines is better and more effective when my plugr 850 pulls 75% more in single pass. Yes it might be shorter plugs but still.

I'm even considering a Ryan tow behind with a 6 x 6 pattern or set up with double tine for 3 x 3 for an even tighter pattern than my Plugr 850's in a single pass.

I'm seriously considering phasing out mowing and gowing 90% aeration and not have to chase after mowing accounts, hauling grass clippings around all growing season long. My mowing clients love my attention to detail and quality of cut. That's nice but I'd like to take July and August off every year and be the dominant operator for aerations in my region offering both reciprocating and rolling tine servcie.

Speaking for myself I'm detail person. Rolling tine units will always exist. Reciprocating aerators have issues with all the pounding and durability. I'm still considering getting a Ryan 28 at some point.

So yes the LS stander pulls deep plugs in the right conditions, not denying that, but what's the tine spacing and the spacing on the 24 dually?

I'm approaching this from the standpoint of motorcycle dealer who carries all brands. Every unit has it's strength and weaknesses.

The only Wildcard issue that has held me back from already buying the LS stander is the price point here for aerations. My region is nest of low ballers for the service. Because of that fact I'm playing up the more plugs with the Plugr angle as a competitive edge and not giving up the mowing this year. Also marketing for aertions as one trick pony service is tricky.

So what are the tine specs for the LS stander and 24" Dually?

LawnSolutionsCP
04-16-2011, 04:41 PM
Riding aerator is 3.5" between rows and the 24" is 4" between rows...everthing else is the same.

Exact Rototilling
04-16-2011, 04:55 PM
Riding aerator is 3.5" between rows and the 24" is 4" between rows...everthing else is the same.

Ok just did the math and the tine spacing is exactly half of my Plugr 850 at 2.25 x 8 vs. 4 x 9 using the Purdue formula that is free of fudge factor.

Truth is a double pass with the LS 24 dually will be in fact more effective than a single Plugr 850/855 or Ryan 28 pass with deeper plugs if condtions allow and the soil fracture issue.

So now I'm wondering about the time factor of a double pass with the Stander and or 24" dually vs the Plugr 850 and Ryan 28? I'd love to compare all 4 units side by side in the rocky soil here grassy swells thrown in etc.

LawnSolutionsCP
04-16-2011, 05:11 PM
If you come to Louisville you can try them all side by side.

fatboynormmie
04-16-2011, 05:13 PM
Thank you Aeration and Exact Rototilling for your decent reviews .Those are the kind of evaluations that are most helpfull.

Aeration when you get your new 24" are you planing on phasing out the 21" or keeping that unit in your arsenal?It would make sense to me you are using your 21" as a cut in machine and the rider for the main bulk workhorse.How much more advantageous percentage wise do you feel the 24" might save you time wise over the 21".

My take on the 24" is for a lco focusing on using it for small to medium size lots as their main workhorse.And for larger lots the rider paired with the 21" would be ideal .Does this hypothesis sound correct and what is your opinion after using all three .

LawnSolutionsCP
04-16-2011, 05:16 PM
Thank you Aeration and Exact Rototilling for your decent reviews .Those are the kind of evaluations that are most helpfull.

Aeration when you get your new 24" are you planing on phasing out the 21" or keeping that unit in your arsenal?It would make sense to me you are using your 21" as a cut in machine and the rider for the main bulk workhorse.How much more advantageous percentage wise do you feel the 24" might save you time wise over the 21".

My take on the 24" is for a lco focusing on using it for small to medium size lots as their main workhorse.And for larger lots the rider paired with the 21" would be ideal .Does this hypothesis sound correct and what is your opinion after using all three .

Most poeple who have a riding aerator use it for 99% of the aerating and only get the small ones off for gated properties for if they are running a 2 person crew.

aeration
04-17-2011, 02:13 AM
As David said, I use the rider 99% of the time. A few gates are less than 48" and I use the WB on those. Once in a while I have an extremely sloped section of a lawn in which I will chose the WB for that section. This is rare. If you use the rider properly you can cut in close to a lot of areas. You figure out quickly how much of the machine you can let hang over onto the driveway and sidewalk to get the tines as close to the hard surfaces as possible. It's wonderful to be able to circle around trees and mulch rings without stopping and starting as well as following the contour of mulch beds. The rider has revolutionized lawn aerification.

Falcon50EX
04-17-2011, 08:28 AM
If you come to Louisville you can try them all side by side.

How wide is the 24 from outside point to outside point. What number can i call to get picked up at the airport and how much heads up would you need?

thanks Richard

LawnSolutionsCP
04-17-2011, 09:20 AM
How wide is the 24 from outside point to outside point. What number can i call to get picked up at the airport and how much heads up would you need?

thanks Richard

The machine is just under 36"....that was a major design point....must fit through a 36" gate.

Our office phone is 502-968-3188 which is buisy a lot...new phone system is going in this coming week to increase number of lines we can handle from 3 to 5 at a time.

Just send me a PM to setup a time and send flight info....we will have someone waiting at the airport.

Also, I'll give you my cell just in case something changes....like a flight delay.

Falcon50EX
04-17-2011, 11:55 AM
The machine is just under 36"....that was a major design point....must fit through a 36" gate.

Our office phone is 502-968-3188 which is buisy a lot...new phone system is going in this coming week to increase number of lines we can handle from 3 to 5 at a time.

Just send me a PM to setup a time and send flight info....we will have someone waiting at the airport.

Also, I'll give you my cell just in case something changes....like a flight delay.

I ask the ? due to the fact the enclosed trailer I just priced out has a 36" front door. I am a corporate pilot and we get up to your area but not on a regular basses it may take some time. We will park at a FBO on the field thanks for getting back to me. I can say I have a LT-Rich Z and I like their product as far as spraying and fert and customer service is great.
Thanks for getting back to me

kennc38
04-17-2011, 10:02 PM
Has anyone tried the dual hydro on hills? If so, how did it do? Thanks.

LawnSolutionsCP
04-17-2011, 10:04 PM
It does very well on hills....videos of it on YouTube with hills.
Posted via Mobile Device

kennc38
04-17-2011, 10:13 PM
It does very well on hills....videos of it on YouTube with hills.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks David. Just watched the video but I believe your definition of "hills" is not the same as my definition. I wasn't referring to gradual slopes you might find on a golf course, but some steeper residential hills that give me nightmares when I think about trying to aerate them in the fall with a Blue Bird aerator.

LawnSolutionsCP
04-17-2011, 11:32 PM
The side of my house has a 45 degree slope that I can barely get my hydro WB mower to stay on and the aerator has no issues.

kennc38
04-26-2011, 05:34 PM
Has anyone received their 24" LS Dual Aerator and put some time on it? Any feedback on its performance? Thanks.

Johnny test
05-20-2011, 08:39 PM
Would like to get a price for the ride-on. Also is there anyone who rents these in Lexington?

LawnSolutionsCP
05-20-2011, 10:31 PM
$8,500 is what they are currently going for.

No rentals on the rider yet in Lexington ask your local rental store to look into it.

They rent for around $250 / day.
Posted via Mobile Device

Johnny test
05-20-2011, 10:44 PM
Thanks LS, any financing or leasing options? I want one so bad it hurtz!!!

LawnSolutionsCP
05-20-2011, 10:52 PM
Yes, just call our office on Monday.
Posted via Mobile Device

docjones
05-21-2011, 01:06 AM
The side of my house has a 45 degree slope that I can barely get my hydro WB mower to stay on and the aerator has no issues.

David.....kennc38 mentioned performance on hills...you told him to look it up on youtube....i see 6 videos from your company on youtube but no serious slopes i think the gentlemen is referring.....your response is that you have a 45 degree slope at your home and have no issues....how about making a video of you aerating your personal yard with that 45 degree slope? how about close ups of those plugs you are pulling....in all honesty, i have been reading questions and replies from a lot of guys on here about your equipment for over a year and am sick and tired of half answers and comments like "look up hills youtube" and "no issues"....how many people on here do you think have the time and money to just hop on over to louisville to see your machines? you can show great cores and easy manueverability on golf courses....easy stuff.....:confused:.....i don't give a damn what that machine does on a putting green....i wanna know how it performs by video...multiple videos.....on a West Virginia sloped yard that when you have a walk behind mower on it your butthole still puckers up from the anxiety you have of not losing control of the friggin' thing!

LawnSolutionsCP
05-21-2011, 09:13 AM
There is nothing that will show you what this aerator really can do other than trying it in person.

Even if I show a hill or plugs up close there will will be doubt and questions. There are video clips of the riding aerator on extreme hillls on LawnSite.

$200 to traval to demo a $9000 purchase seems like a very good investment to me.

This time of year we are just tying to keep up with orders not traveling around the country with our extra units doing demos.

PM me your info and I'll see what I can do.

David
Posted via Mobile Device

kennc38
05-23-2011, 09:43 PM
There is nothing that will show you what this aerator really can do other than trying it in person.

Even if I show a hill or plugs up close there will will be doubt and questions. There are video clips of the riding aerator on extreme hillls on LawnSite.

$200 to traval to demo a $9000 purchase seems like a very good investment to me.

This time of year we are just tying to keep up with orders not traveling around the country with our extra units doing demos.

PM me your info and I'll see what I can do.

David
Posted via Mobile Device

David - I sent you a PM about coming to do a demo of your 24" dual hydro. Please let me know if that works for you. Thanks.

LawnSolutionsCP
05-23-2011, 10:10 PM
Greatl
Posted via Mobile Device

EVM
05-28-2011, 10:48 PM
Wow, people actually pay/fly just to demo your machines? I would buy else where, especially if demos were brought to my location.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
05-29-2011, 10:26 PM
I agree. I had Turfco come to my home and we demo'd their walk behind in the green space behind my own lawn. I appreciated that they would bring their unit out to a small fry guy like me. Was planning to buy that unit before this fall, unless I get a taste of what the LS dual hydro unit can do 1st.

RABBITMAN11
05-30-2011, 04:36 PM
I agree. I had Turfco come to my home and we demo'd their walk behind in the green space behind my own lawn. I appreciated that they would bring their unit out to a small fry guy like me. Was planning to buy that unit before this fall, unless I get a taste of what the LS dual hydro unit can do 1st.

I wouldn't even consider buying anything else after buying the dual hydro...

DA Quality Lawn & YS
06-07-2011, 09:40 PM
I wouldn't even consider buying anything else after buying the dual hydro...

Well then, we had better set up a demo soon right Lawn Solns:)

LawnSolutionsCP
06-09-2011, 11:40 AM
Working on it. Should have many more demo units out this fall at dealers than ever before.
Posted via Mobile Device

kennc38
06-13-2011, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the demo last week Dave. Sorry I missed you.

jfoxtrot9
06-13-2011, 05:43 PM
A couple questions for LS and forgive me for not searching this entire post in case it has already been answered.

1.Does the sulky come with the aerator or is it an extra cost? If extra, what is the cost?

2. If ordered Aug 1st, when could I expect delivery?

Thank you.

Jeff