PDA

View Full Version : Drought gone-lawn gone, what are you contributing it too?

grassguy_
09-30-2002, 08:54 PM
Now that the drought has broken for many or in the process, there are still lawns that just are not recouping. Some We have found some chinchbugs, some even heavy billbug, but there are some that really have no signs of either. Pythium may be a culprit to some lawns with the temps as hot as we had them at times and the terrain, other some diseases like dolllar spot and necrotic ring spot(fusarium). I was wondering what many of you are coming across out there, insect, disease, just persistent drought conditions? Have a few that have sprinkler systems that never watered the whole year and then they wonder why their yard is dead now, I wonder why they even bothered putting the systems in? Well, interesting to hear what most of you have noticed.

MATTHEW
09-30-2002, 09:27 PM
If it is dead, it is very likely that it was caused by insects that have moved on. Could be disease also.

The sad fact is that WE, as the caretakers, take the blame for the devastation. It was the CUSTOMERS responsibility to water, and it was OUR responsibility to check and treat I & D problems.

Hey, if they are unreasonable and cancel... let 'em go. There will be lots of other new clients out there. :p

Green Pastures
09-30-2002, 10:08 PM
I have seen some customers concern over the devistation to fescue lawns in our area. However, they have all agreed that it is not my fault. It was our Govenor who declared it illegal to water, and since most lawns I do not take care of are worse off than the ones I do take care of, they see me as a "Lawn Skywalker" of sorts!! :angel:

I'm taking advantage of it and doing as many aeration/seeding and renovation jobs as my schedule will allow. I bought a new Classen 26" split drive aerator this year and plan on paying it off and then some!

I have educated my customers on the hazards of a fescue lawn in the transition zone. You HAVE to water almost daily in the late June, July and August time frame. Keeping the lawn cut to at least 3" is also a must. Promoting root growth with Phosphorus (rather than top growth with Nitrogen) in the late Spring and early Summer months is in my fertilizer application plan. If the customer chooses to not follow the advice of the proffesional they chose to maintain their lawn and landscaping I refuse to accept blame for the results.

Once again comminication with my customers has been a succesful deterrent to losing customers. I agree with Matthew, if I lose customers during this season (and I yet have to lose a single one) I say let them go. My phone is ringing constantly with new customers who have seen the effects of this years drought, I'm sure I can turn the occasional aeration/seeding or renovation job into happy, long term CONTRACTED customers.

I say this drought has been good for my business. Just like everything else in life, it's all in the way you look at and react to it.

Scott

grassguy_
10-03-2002, 12:44 PM
most damage that I have seen has been from disease activity it seems. I have seen some chichbug and billbug, but seems those cases are more sporadic than what I'm considering disease damage. I've done some renovations to some and most have been understanding but there are others that no matter what you tell them they'll never be satisfied.