PDA

View Full Version : under brush clearing where to start

johnyredd99
04-15-2011, 09:27 PM
I have a customer that wants the underbrush in her woods cleared out. I started to clear out the lighter growth and the down branches but then made it to this really thick stuff. I am just not sure what to use or how to go about getting this done.. I was thinking maybe a bush hog but not sure. My other thought were using the bucket on kubota to try and back drag to break it up. I am just not sure... Normally I would turn down the job but I have been doing the part time thing for 8 years and decided this would be the year to go full time. so i can not walk away from the money. Thanks for any advice

White Gardens
04-15-2011, 09:39 PM
I would do two things.

Use a long, articulating, extended reach hedge trimmer to cut anything up to 2 inches.

http://www.stihlusa.com/graphics/hedgetrimmers/HL100K-135.gif

Then I would use a 12-14 inch light arborist saw to cut down the rest.

http://www.stihlusa.com/graphics/chainsaws/MS192TCE.gif

At that point you could use your tractor to clean up the mess when your done.

Oakleaf landscape
04-15-2011, 11:22 PM
IDK what kid of weed eater you have but most of them allow you to put a blade on the head. Will go through anything pretty much... That's what I would use for the brush, then a chain saw for anything over 3 in.
Here's a few ideas.
http://www.stihlusa.com/trimmers/blades.html

bmac1996acc
04-16-2011, 08:43 AM
Clearing saw
http://www.husqvarna.com/us/landscape-and-groundcare/products/brushcutters/343fr/

Smallaxe
04-16-2011, 10:15 AM
Chainsaws for this kind of thing usually means a lot of bending over, and chains jumping off every 2 minute... A circular brush blade attachment on a basic engine unit, will give you a nice length and enough power to take it all down.

A large pitch fork is nice to have handy to pick up all the junk with one scoop and use it to rake up quickly before going into fine cleanup detail... the right tools, for the right job... if you don't have them now, buy 'em... :)

johnyredd99
04-16-2011, 11:33 AM
thanks for the responses. I have tried all that you have described. but the problem then become once its cut down how to shread it up. When I was clearing out the less dense areas I would clear the area of limbs and then run my old WB over the area several times. Customer doesnt want to pay for a chipper at this time(claims she is having tree work done later and they can chip) and I do not believe that it would feed into a chipper very easily or with out getting all cut up from thorns. Guess my only option is to cut down growth and let it lay for the tree guys to deal with. I hate to do that tho

AdvLandscapeLLC
04-16-2011, 12:20 PM
I use my mini ex with the tooth bucket to rake it out and rip everything out i think it makes the cleanest look.

johnyredd99
04-16-2011, 01:21 PM
I never thought of a mini ex. very good idea. I watched a guy do it w/ skid steer once. could scrape the area clean, pile all the debris.
guess only thing left to do is get in there and do it. I will put up some after pics. you guys will have to let me know

Smallaxe
04-17-2011, 08:42 AM
Careful with the integrity of the landscape left behind and the ruts/roots of the trees... Most guys who run in with a skidster leave ugly in their wake...

jim81147
04-18-2011, 11:20 PM
Would she allow you to burn the debris?

Mowingman
04-19-2011, 06:23 AM
Mulcher head on a track skidsteer, (MTL). you can rent one at most Bobcat dealers, and some other skidsteer dealers also.

johnyredd99
04-19-2011, 07:38 PM
no to the burning. she just bought the house..... property went from 'its just grass' w/ previouse owner. to a golf course in the woods w/ the new owner. but so did the price

AdvLandscapeLLC
04-20-2011, 09:19 PM
Why rent a mulched head, they want it cleared out presumably for good not so it grows back in a year or less, dig out at the root level with an excavator ad grade it off do it right an make it look presentable. Mulcher head work great for clearing but they don't do anything about the root system or finish grading everything to look professional.
Posted via Mobile Device

JoeKuhl
04-20-2011, 11:49 PM
If you have a skid steer look for a brush clearing attachment. I've never used one but I hear they work wonders. I would also recommend burning the brush, It is for sure the best way to get rid of it.

LoweJ82
04-21-2011, 01:02 AM
pending overall size of area Id get a chipper since you cant burn they may be able to use the chips in areas? either a skidsteer or mini hoe would do just fine clearing it out to a couple guys with chainsaws to cut the mess apart and chip it.

if there's gonna be alot of stumps coming out consider hauling in a load of dirt to fill in all holes with.

mike174
04-22-2011, 01:46 AM
Just remove the debrit from the property in your truck. Dump it at the local recycling center or dump. Charge her a removal/dump fee. If this isn't an option, charge the removal fee and have a nice bonfire at your house this weekend:drinkup:

NPMinc
04-22-2011, 11:35 AM
Why rent a mulched head, they want it cleared out presumably for good not so it grows back in a year or less, dig out at the root level with an excavator ad grade it off do it right an make it look presentable. Mulcher head work great for clearing but they don't do anything about the root system or finish grading everything to look professional.
Posted via Mobile Device

DING DING DING we have a winner!!!!! It is essential that you remove the roots, sapling stumps etc, (especially because you do not mention being licensed for herbicide application or the application being an option) or they will just grow back probably starting this season and you will have a ticked off customer, which all all know is great for business.

AdvLandscapeLLC
04-22-2011, 11:44 AM
DING DING DING we have a winner!!!!! It is essential that you remove the roots, sapling stumps etc, (especially because you do not mention being licensed for herbicide application or the application being an option) or they will just grow back probably starting this season and you will have a ticked off customer, which all all know is great for business.

This is the only way to truly have it done the "right way" all the other methods will work, for now.... but give it a few months and well.. your gonna have a ticked off customer and a bad word of mouth being spread about your work. Do it right the first time and your business will grow.:usflag: its the old american way

NPMinc
04-22-2011, 11:51 AM
Agree completely! I am willing to bet the customer is seeking a "permenent" solution not just something for right now!