PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Brakes

chevyguy$$
04-16-2011, 08:34 PM
one question before i buy this landscape trailer it needs brakes They are bad is this something thats real costly to do or pretty cheap let me kno??? 16ft dual axle

DLCS
04-16-2011, 08:46 PM
I paid $25 per wheel for my Big Tex last spring. I ordered them from Big Tex or from their online store called Tex Trail. Those were abolutely the best prices I could find, locallly they wanted $50 per wheel. Change the whole assumbly, much easier.

White Gardens
04-16-2011, 08:49 PM
Agreed. Get the whole backing plate with all the hardware already installed.

Redneck Trailer supply is a good source. Don't know if you have one in your area.

http://www.redneck-trailer.com/index.htm

chevyguy$$
04-17-2011, 10:09 AM
thanks guys....

PlantscapeSolutions
04-17-2011, 03:23 PM
Also make sure you have brakes on both axles. You wouldn't drive a truck with half the brakes missing and a trailer is the same way.

chevyguy$$
04-17-2011, 06:07 PM
Also make sure you have brakes on both axles. You wouldn't drive a truck with half the brakes missing and a trailer is the same way.

i only see brakes on 2 axle is that correct or should it have 4

PlantscapeSolutions
04-17-2011, 06:29 PM
i only see brakes on 2 axle is that correct or should it have 4

Often times trailer places make brakes on the second axle an option to keep the costs down. It's harder on the trailer and your truck when the trailer only has half the stopping power.

I upgraded one of my trailer from single to double axle brakes and it made a difference. I have my trailers all custom built and I will not buy a tandem or triple without brakes on axles. If your towing with a light duty half ton truck it's even more important not to have a trailer with proper stopping power.

White Gardens
04-17-2011, 10:26 PM
In Illinois, the law was just changed the last couple of years and I think over 8k, or any double axle trailer must have brakes on both axles.

DLCS
04-18-2011, 12:37 AM
In Illinois, the law was just changed the last couple of years and I think over 8k, or any double axle trailer must have brakes on both axles.

Yes, any double axle trailer must have brakes and break away switch.

knox gsl
04-18-2011, 12:51 AM
I'm looking at $180 for the parts to do my back axle is it worth it?

White Gardens
04-18-2011, 01:09 AM
I'm looking at $180 for the parts to do my back axle is it worth it?

Was that for all the individual parts or just the backing plates already set up to install?

Also, do you have electric brakes or surge brakes?

knox gsl
04-18-2011, 01:14 AM
Electric brakes with a tekonsha prodigy controller. Trailer and load hardly ever exceed 5,300lbs

gammon landscaping
04-21-2011, 01:28 AM
trust me i just got pulled over by a state trooper that had the book memorized. and according to him the federal law is that if the gvw of the trailer is over 3000 pounds it most have brakes on BOTH axles and a safety break a way device. i got the ticket to prove it. funny part is when i went to court to show the judge i got it all fixed the trooper was explaining about every other ticket to the judge. the judge had no idea what he was talking about!

rcslawncare
04-21-2011, 01:51 AM
My next trailer will be a tandem and have brakes on both axles.

White Gardens
04-21-2011, 07:57 AM
Electric brakes with a tekonsha prodigy controller. Trailer and load hardly ever exceed 5,300lbs

You can get just a simple Red-Line controller to do the trick. The tekonsha is a great controller, but under 10k for weight it's over-kill on the price.

At red-neck I was pricing the backer plate with all the brake hardware and it was going to run about 130 an axle to replace the parts. On your lighter trailer I would say around 110 an axle to rebuild them. Even if you only have brakes on one axle you can still upgrade the other axle to brakes so keep that in mind if you are trying to get it up to legal.

Break-away kit was 65 bucks.

Basically the reason I know the pricing is that I'm re-building my 10k equipment trailer to get it back to par.

knox gsl
04-21-2011, 08:09 AM
No, I already have the controller, I am just interested to know if its worth the money to put brakes on the second axle.
Posted via Mobile Device

White Gardens
04-21-2011, 08:20 AM
No, I already have the controller, I am just interested to know if its worth the money to put brakes on the second axle.
Posted via Mobile Device

Gotcha. I would say it is, but that's just me. I'm all about being completely legal in general regardless if the local police have a clue about trailers or not. That and I run on the interstate occasionally and have to go through weigh stations.

Spend 150 to do the axle, or get a ticket that might be twice as much.....