PDA

View Full Version : Help with reinforcement in an Outdoor Grill.

ROC lawn and landscapes
04-16-2011, 10:17 PM
Hey guys... So the thing is Im designing a surround with a built in grill with a seperate door underneath for storage. It is going to be built out of Belgard's Windsor stone 8x12x4. There is going to be a layer of block between the bottom of the grill and the storage door. How do I support those blocks that go across a 28" opening. Wasnt sure if I should use a piece of metal or what? Much needed help. Thanks a bunch!

zedosix
04-17-2011, 01:21 AM
use a piece of angled metal, or aluminum, to bridge the gap.

shovelracer
04-17-2011, 10:03 AM
It is called a lintel. It is usually a piece of angle or two. A real mason supply house will have some.

DVS Hardscaper
04-17-2011, 11:59 AM
Concrete lintel. I have pics. But I'll have to postthem later this evening or tomorrow evening.
Posted via Mobile Device

Murphy's Law
04-17-2011, 12:24 PM
A steel shop or sheet metal shop will usually have all sorts of different size angle iron in stock.

I'm interested in those pics of of how a concrete lintel will work for this application. My brain is having a hard time picturing this.

DVS Hardscaper
04-17-2011, 12:43 PM
The front of the lintel gets block (thats been sawed) glued to it

DVS Hardscaper
04-17-2011, 12:47 PM
And now the grill is in place.

Again, you veneer block to the lintel, so you NEVER can tell it's there :)

KrayzKajun
04-17-2011, 12:50 PM
tht looks awesome DVS!!!!

DVS Hardscaper
04-17-2011, 12:54 PM
That is actually a Nicolock kitchen kit. Granite counter tops come with it. On this particular job, the counter tops did not line up perfect, and a local granite counter top company who was already onsite for something unrelated to the patio had to make some adjustments. I hope Nicolock has since addressed and corrected the problem, as I made it a point to bring it to their attention.

joes169
04-18-2011, 11:06 AM
Good solution DVS.........:drinkup:

Another option is to saw a kerf into the back of the block and slide the angle iron lintel into the back of them to conceal the steel.

DVS Hardscaper
04-18-2011, 01:34 PM
The problem with metal is it rusts and you get rust runs running down the block.
Posted via Mobile Device

pieperlc
04-19-2011, 02:56 AM
I'm not familiar with concrete lintel. Do you custom order height or is it standard size? The block I deal with on these types of projects can vary between 4", 4.5", and 6".

DVS- nice work, as always!

DVS Hardscaper
04-19-2011, 07:52 AM
I'm not familiar with concrete lintel. Do you custom order height or is it standard size? The block I deal with on these types of projects can vary between 4", 4.5", and 6".

I could be wrong, as it's been a few months, but I think the block is 4" block and I believe the lintel is 4" lintel.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
04-19-2011, 10:28 AM

Pour your own lintel with reinforcement than you can get your height just right.

DVS Hardscaper
04-19-2011, 11:09 AM
Pour your own lintel with reinforcement than you can get your height just right.

Well yeah, if you have time for all that!

It's much easier to grab what you need and be done with it. :)

The lintels in the pics came with the kit. Nothing had to be bought other than the glue.

Posted via Mobile Device