PDA

View Full Version : Rolling soon after over seeding

BLC1
04-17-2011, 12:56 PM
I just over seeded a lawn last week. Would it harm it to roll it next week?

RigglePLC
04-17-2011, 02:25 PM
I don't know. Would you mind, leave half of it unrolled and lets us know what happened?
Why are you planning to roll? What weight roller? What grass type? Seed type? Any sign of germination yet? Was it slit seeded? Broadcast? Aeration? Power rake?

BLC1
04-17-2011, 04:05 PM
It was slit seeded. It was kbg, rye and a small % of fescue. It was just done 2 days ago so no germination. I am rolling because the lawn is a little lumpy and also in the same neighborhood I will be rolling 2 other lawns this week.

BLC1
04-19-2011, 08:25 AM
Any thoughts?

ReddensLawnCare
04-19-2011, 11:10 AM
If it has germinated go ahead and roll. It isnt going to hurt it, but if it has, you will break the new blades.

BLC1
04-19-2011, 01:26 PM
How long should you wait after it has germinated?

ReddensLawnCare
04-19-2011, 01:44 PM
I dont think I would roll after germ. The purpose of rolling is generally to establish seed to soil contact to aid in the process of germination. If there are big clumps...bust them up..if it is levelness issues, rolling will not aid that at this point if it is somewhat compact, unless it is very small

ChiTownAmateur
04-19-2011, 03:20 PM
Unless the lawns are very, very soft where your footprint makes it sink in I think rolling the lawn is not beneficial. Most of the pros here suggest topdressing over several applications in order to smooth out bumps.

Rolling I believe creates compaction, even though on the surface it looks better initially. It leads to other problems so from a best practices standpoint, I don't think rolling makes good sense unless the soil is so sandy that compaction is never an issue.

BLC1
04-19-2011, 10:32 PM
I don't roll many lawns. Typically when I roll a lawn, I will be back in a couple of weeks to aerate as well.

I have heard of some people rolling right after seeding for better contact like said above.

I may let it go for now. I planted the lawn in the fall. The lady was having trouble getting moved in and closed on the house so we couldn't do the lawn until very late. The weather wasn't favorable and the lawn came up just ok. I over seeded last week to thicken it up. We'll see what happens here over the next few weeks.

Exact Rototilling
04-19-2011, 11:28 PM
If it was me lumpy bumpy lawn aerate 2 - 3 passes with plugr 850 will need to do 4-5 with rolling tine unit to keep up with plugr. Slice seed 3 passes min different directions then roll with water filled roller only for soil seed contact. And starter fert.
Posted via Mobile Device