PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts/Opinions/Help Needed - F350 Dump Conversion

LCBO
04-17-2011, 01:18 PM
Hey everyone. I need some help on this. I have been searching with very little luck, so hoping someone can help me out.

We have a 2005 F350, fell off a lift at the mechanics. Body damage mainly to the bed, a little to the cab. Most everything else is fine. Since they have to replace the bed, take it off and all, we were thinking of just paying the extra cost and having it converted to a dump truck bed.

What would this take?
Obviously it would need the dump bed (from Monroe or Knapheide, etc). It would need the dually wheels for each side. Then any of the hydraulics that go with the dump bed. What else would be needed? It's a regular cab, long bed 350.

Need to get info ASAP so that we can decide before the truck is taken to get fixed.

Thanks everyone!!!

hosejockey2002
04-17-2011, 09:25 PM
A flat or dump bed can be put on but it's more of a hassle because the frame rails are not flat and straight. If you want an F350 dump you're probably better off finding a cab and chassis and having it done the way you want. The cab and chassis F350s have heavier frames than the pickups if I'm not mistaken.

LCBO
04-17-2011, 10:55 PM
I just don't see Ford making different frames for 350's other than short versus long bed. But maybe I am wrong. Any other thoughts? If the frames were different, would the load limit just be less?

THEGOLDPRO
04-17-2011, 11:03 PM
I just don't see Ford making different frames for 350's other than short versus long bed. But maybe I am wrong. Any other thoughts? If the frames were different, would the load limit just be less?

the frames on a pickup truck are curved and the frames on a dump are straight to accept the dump bed, if you want to put a dump bed on a pickup you need to modify the frame to make it work, or rig it up like i see most people do with wood and crap.

White Gardens
04-17-2011, 11:06 PM

The frames are strait and flat on an F-350 Cab and Chassis. The dually rear axle is also narrower than a regular dually axle.

You can do the conversion if you want. I would do a flat-bed dump to save weight and give you more haul more.

Yes, the load limit is less. You'll just have to watch your payload and over-all weight when loaded. Hauling brush and mulch will by fine, but you might be able to haul only around a ton or so of heavier material.

You can get a simple electric over hydraulic pump to save money there. The flatbed dump should be horribly bad, you'll just have to make wooden sides for it.

As for mounting it, you'll need Oak cribbing blocks to cut to put between the sub-frame of the lift cylinder and the truck frame. The blocks will need to be cut to get the bed flat as the frame rails of the truck bend and twist.

As long as you stay withing the capacity of the truck itself when hauling, you won't need dually tires.

White Gardens
04-17-2011, 11:07 PM
the frames on a pickup truck are curved and the frames on a dump are straight to accept the dump bed, if you want to put a dump bed on a pickup you need to modify the frame to make it work, or rig it up like i see most people do with wood and crap.

That's how they used to build the old pickups with dump beds. It was standard practice.

THEGOLDPRO
04-17-2011, 11:09 PM
That's how they used to build the old pickups with dump beds. It was standard practice.

Oh im not saying it doesn't work, i have used the wood in the past when i turned my old dodge into a flat bed. But that was on old dodge lol not a nice newer truck.

LCBO
04-18-2011, 12:17 AM
Thanks all. Will consider other options probably...

White Gardens
04-18-2011, 08:56 AM
Thanks all. Will consider other options probably...

Just do a strait flatbed if you don't want the extra work of putting on a dump.

cat320
04-18-2011, 07:14 PM
here is what you looking to do

cat320
04-18-2011, 09:55 PM
http://www.road-craft.com/pix/bodies/alanbrown1.jpg

another one i found

http://www.road-craft.com/pix/bodies/alanbrown.jpg

http://www.road-craft.com/pix/bodies/alanbrown3.jpg
http://www.road-craft.com/pix/bodies/alanbrown2.jpg
http://www.road-craft.com/pix/bodies/alanbrown4.jpg

LCBO
04-18-2011, 10:29 PM
yes. any idea on what those set ups cost, what was entailed, and what needs to be changed/ and its load capacity?

cat320
04-19-2011, 12:49 PM
I don't know but you could call the people that did the aluminum one they could tell you there number is

Call Toll Free (888)-246-5716
New England Truck Design Inc.
275 Leominster Rd, Sterling, Ma. 01564

White Gardens
04-19-2011, 01:35 PM
yes. any idea on what those set ups cost, what was entailed, and what needs to be changed/ and its load capacity?

You won't know load capacity until you weigh the truck and then add the weight of the bed, lift cylinder, and hydraulics.

After that you'll just need to subtract the weight from the GVWR of the truck and what's left will be your hauling capacity.

That's why I think if you are planning on hauling anything heavy at all, the lighter/simpler the set-up, the better.