PDA

View Full Version : Who has tried this and has it worked for getting rid of weeds in beds?

shelbymustang616
04-17-2011, 04:24 PM
Curious, we use cotton hoes to remove weeds in plant beds, this takes time in heavy weeded beds, then it all has to be picked up. Wondering..can we spray the weeds with roundup etc. and mulch ontop? I have never tried this as i want to doa quality job and not risk extra work. But I ask for those who like to experiment.

johnnybow
04-17-2011, 05:39 PM
I like to pull the weeds by hand and then spray. Then mulch over top.

grassman177
04-17-2011, 06:32 PM
you must be licensed to do any pesticide apllication not on your own property.round up is a pesticide. but , it works great for a while to answer the question

shelbymustang616
04-17-2011, 07:26 PM
well i am a registered and licensed applicator :) But can i Spray and cover with mulch? will weed pop back up will it kill the weeds?

grassman177
04-17-2011, 09:33 PM
it will still kill the weeds, but of course be careful not to get on fresh spray etc. i prefer to spray in advance if possible

shelbymustang616
04-17-2011, 09:34 PM
so spray weeds couple days before and apply mulch ontop?

GunnPropertyServices
04-17-2011, 10:54 PM
depending on the size of the weeds i will trim them down and then spray and mulch on top, it would be better to spray it advance but time and trips come into play, i usally just spray same day as mulching never had a problem

grassman177
04-18-2011, 07:49 AM
it is better, but you can do it carefully and stay off the sprayed areas while mulching if you have to be

shelbymustang616
04-18-2011, 09:05 PM
what herbicide have you had the most luck with. I have been looking at Ranger pro. Its 84.95 for 2.5 gallons and is generic brand of roundup.

Dr.NewEarth
04-19-2011, 12:18 AM
You guys may already be aware of this, so for the others

Round-up aka Glyphosates are non-selective and will kill every-thing. The spray drift will effect plants in other areas too.
It is also temperature sensitive and can't be used below 18 Celcius, or about 70 ferenheit
Please go to the store and read the labels and reread them on site before using them each time.

Can you not find a selective herbicide there that only kills weeds? I don't know
what brand names you have there. We have Killex for instance. It contains
2, 4-D mecoprop and dicamba. It will not harm the grass or other plants when used
according to the label directions.

With this stuff you just have to spray the problem spots. If you have perennial weeds such as dandelions, pull them out and you can spray down the hole onto the root bit that is remaining. Use a cotton hoe on grass clumps and tough weeds.

If the weeds are a major problem in a garden, treat the edges and around plants
then put down landscape fabric and at least three inches of bark mulch to suppress
the weed growth.

Once a year, top dress with one inch of mulch.

As the mulch decomposes it will deplete nitrogen and you'll get new weeds growing in and on the mulch...these are nitrogen fixers, like buttercup and clover.

Fertilize the plants regularly according to their needs
and spot spray these new weeds with a Killex type herbicide or use an eco-friendly alternative like "Fiesta" or "Eco-sense"

mike174
04-20-2011, 01:23 AM
you must be licensed to do any pesticide apllication not on your own property.round up is a pesticide. but , it works great for a while to answer the question

Hey Grassman...you beat me to the post:laugh: I'm surprised you didn't try to sell him your patent pending sponge on gly applicator:waving: It is a good idea...you should follow through with it.

rowdiestang
04-22-2011, 04:11 PM
after the weeds are dead and the mulch is out put down a pre-emergent in the beds. That works far better than any "weed cloth". You will have to reapply about every 4 months but it works

nobagger
04-22-2011, 07:16 PM
I like to pull the weeds by hand and then spray. Then mulch over top.

Problem with just pulling them is you need to make sure you pull all of it. If you leave the root system on some larger weeds they could come back. I would just spray the beds and wait a week or so, remove what you can then go ahead with mulching.

Southern Lawn Care, LLC
04-24-2011, 11:23 PM
what herbicide have you had the most luck with. I have been looking at Ranger pro. Its 84.95 for 2.5 gallons and is generic brand of roundup.

Not sure where you get it up there but thats a super crazy price!!! I can get it here in Alabama for $45.00 for 2.5 gallons. I like the Ranger Pro. In my opnion it works a little faster than the round up does.

grassman88
04-25-2011, 10:57 AM
dont use weed fabric spray weeds day befor dont trim them first spray the leaves then when uyou get there to lay the mulch just rake out the dead plants put a pre emergent down and lay 3" of mulch it will be fine the weed fabric is a joke

shelbymustang616
04-25-2011, 11:38 PM
Guy who came out with weed fabric is laughing his way to the bank.

mike174
04-26-2011, 12:15 AM
Guy who came out with weed fabric is laughing his way to the bank.

Yep...another "why didn't I think of that" moment :confused:

KINGMADE
04-26-2011, 02:47 AM
I have noticed that round up does not work well when immediately covered up with mulch. I guess the plant may stay too cool underneath. Oh and dont let helpers spray because they turn into Hellen Keller as soon as you turn around. Next thing you know a couple bushes need to be replaced.

Mike NY
04-26-2011, 07:42 AM
"It is also temperature sensitive and can't be used below 18 Celcius, or about 70 ferenheit"
I'm Not so sure about this. Nothing on the label about temp, although i do agree that it may not be as effective below this temp.
Gly + 2-4-d + surfactant, will kill in almost any temp that the plant is actively growing.

Agree- Gly, wait a week, mulch, pre-m.
M-

dgw
04-26-2011, 10:20 AM
I have noticed that round up does not work well when immediately covered up with mulch. I guess the plant may stay too cool underneath. Oh and dont let helpers spray because they turn into Hellen Keller as soon as you turn around. Next thing you know a couple bushes need to be replaced.

because weeds need sun to grow, without the weeds growing round up is useless

dgw
04-26-2011, 10:21 AM
You guys may already be aware of this, so for the others

Round-up aka Glyphosates are non-selective and will kill every-thing. The spray drift will effect plants in other areas too.
It is also temperature sensitive and can't be used below 18 Celcius, or about 70 ferenheit
Please go to the store and read the labels and reread them on site before using them each time.

Can you not find a selective herbicide there that only kills weeds? I don't know
what brand names you have there. We have Killex for instance. It contains
2, 4-D mecoprop and dicamba. It will not harm the grass or other plants when used
according to the label directions.

With this stuff you just have to spray the problem spots. If you have perennial weeds such as dandelions, pull them out and you can spray down the hole onto the root bit that is remaining. Use a cotton hoe on grass clumps and tough weeds.

If the weeds are a major problem in a garden, treat the edges and around plants
then put down landscape fabric and at least three inches of bark mulch to suppress
the weed growth.

Once a year, top dress with one inch of mulch.

As the mulch decomposes it will deplete nitrogen and you'll get new weeds growing in and on the mulch...these are nitrogen fixers, like buttercup and clover.

Fertilize the plants regularly according to their needs
and spot spray these new weeds with a Killex type herbicide or use an eco-friendly alternative like "Fiesta" or "Eco-sense"

i wouldnt spray anything with dicamba in beds

dgw
04-26-2011, 10:25 AM
"It is also temperature sensitive and can't be used below 18 Celcius, or about 70 ferenheit"
I'm Not so sure about this. Nothing on the label about temp, although i do agree that it may not be as effective below this temp.
Gly + 2-4-d + surfactant, will kill in almost any temp that the plant is actively growing.

Agree- Gly, wait a week, mulch, pre-m.
M-

i believe the label may say not as effective below 55 degrees F

but they will die it just takes 2-3 weeks

your way seems the right way though

only change i would make would be , if practical water in your granular PRE m before mulching

or just lay before mulch

Smallaxe
04-26-2011, 11:40 AM

Roundup i.e. glyphosate: needs to metabolize throughout the plant in order to work its way from the leaf, to the root...

If you cover anything or cut anything b4 the chemical has completed its run through the plant's system, you have just wasted your time and money...

Quackgrass is one item that really makes you struggle or Canadian Thistle as well. Mulching over those guys before you kill them will provide them a great wonderful environment to just flourish...

Understand your enemy and your chemicals...

snow4me
04-30-2011, 07:56 AM
Are you guys saying to use roundup or Ranger Pro, wait a week until weeds are dead, rake them up, put down a granular fertilizer with pre-emergent herbicide and mulch over same day? What type of pre-emergent products are you guys using?

I've got a large 7,197 sq. ft. mulch job I'm bidding and there is weed growth and edging required on all beds. It's going to be costly job so I want to make sure we do a good job of killing the weeds so they don't come right back up. This is a new lawn care customer that will pay to have the job done right.

Any suggestions?

Florida Gardener
04-30-2011, 09:06 AM
If the weeds are that bad give a separate price for hand pulling the big stuff and spraying the small stuff...
Posted via Mobile Device

White Gardens
04-30-2011, 09:42 AM
If the weeds are that bad give a separate price for hand pulling the big stuff and spraying the small stuff...
Posted via Mobile Device

Ditto.

That or save time and just whack off the weeds to the ground with a string trimmer, then do a broadcast spraying of the beds (being careful of wanted plants) and throw mulch on top.

After that just do a follow up 3-4 weeks later and spray one more time if need be.

And as for RU not being effective under 70*, that's bogus. I've already sprayed areas and we haven't had one day above 65* since I've sprayed. Though slower working, I've had a complete kill in those places. I think even the day I sprayed it was only 45*.

Florida Gardener
04-30-2011, 09:56 AM
It sounds to me that the sureguard/roundup combo is the best here. I have used snapshot with excellent results. Sureguard is a great product as well and you can spray that in driveways, pavers, etc...
Posted via Mobile Device