PDA

View Full Version : ****Legal questions****

toomuchtime
04-17-2011, 11:03 PM
Hello all I have a question. Let me start by telling you I live in the great state of Ca.... Lol I am not a contractor I own my own machine and equipment and 99% of the time use it on my own property. Now for the question. I have a few neighbors who would like to hire me to brush hog there propertys 2 to 4 acres and a bit of light bobcat work.

I carry a million liability policy and but do i need a contractors license? i dont want to get my a** in a sling.

Thanks guys

icex
04-17-2011, 11:14 PM
Hello all I have a question. Let me start by telling you I live in the great state of Ca.... Lol I am not a contractor I own my own machine and equipment and 99% of the time use it on my own property. Now for the question. I have a few neighbors who would like to hire me to brush hog there propertys 2 to 4 acres and a bit of light bobcat work.

I carry a million liability policy and but do i need a contractors license? i dont want to get my a** in a sling.

Thanks guys

Here in WV you have to have a contractors license if the project is $25,000 or more. I am a licensed contractor but use it because my business is obviously a contracting company. For just a few neighbors I would just classify it as side work, and not worry about a contractors license.

bobcat_ron
04-18-2011, 09:08 AM
Don't sweat it, you've got insurance, and it's not like you are doing massive infastructure or ROW mowing.

ccstrebe
04-18-2011, 09:08 AM
In Arizona a job can be no more than $750 to be able to do it without a contractors licence. Check your states requirements.

bighornjd
04-18-2011, 03:47 PM
Yeah i think it's over 500 here you need one. I wouldn't worry about it. CASH is King.

icex
04-18-2011, 10:33 PM
git 'er done!

toomuchtime
04-19-2011, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I checked in to Cali law it is anything over $500.00 a day you need a license. Im going to knock these two out and go to night school i think. My question is what catagory of license. There is a C speacialty license that is for grading and paving but does not list anything for land clearing. Its a bit confusing which license to go for.