PDA

View Full Version : From leafs to lawn - the correct way.

medwar19
04-18-2011, 02:05 PM
Hi all,

I have an area 300 sq ft at the end of a lawn that as been neglected for 10 years. Each fall the leaves have been blown onto the area and left to decompose.

What is the proper way to return the area to lawn?

I have removed the leaves back to the natural soil and plan to tiller the soil then sow grass seed. Is this a good plan? I'm worried the invasives will take over if the grass cover does not take hold quickly enough.

Any thoughts or suggestions very much appreciated.

Mark.

Candrews
04-18-2011, 02:21 PM
I would check the PH of the soil. That many years of leafs decomposing my have affected the PH. Till some top soil in when you till it and I like a product called healthy start 3-4-3. I also like Penn mulch instead of straw. No weeds and no clean up. A good blue rye mix for grass seed should blend well with the older lawn.

TurnerLawn&Landscape
04-18-2011, 10:51 PM
candrews what is Penn, i hate straw!

Smallaxe
04-19-2011, 07:24 AM
What sort of 'invasives' are you concerned about? Is this a shade area?

medwar19
04-19-2011, 08:10 AM
What sort of 'invasives' are you concerned about? Is this a shade area?

Yes, the area is covered by leafy trees. An area between the lawn and leaf litter is covered in moss due to water and shade. Also the area I exposed from under the leaves has dense root balls. The tiller has broken up the soil nicely and I'll sow with dense shade seed. I might thin out the tree cover above to give more light to the area too.

Thanks,

Mark.