PDA

View Full Version : question about GL for a skid steer

cirrus_player
04-18-2011, 05:11 PM
Hi, fairly new to this site. Ive found it very helpful so far, thanks to all of you. anywho, I'm considering adding a used skid steer to my fleet. I have GL now and pay like 800 per year, but I'm wondering about what to expect to add to that when i purchase the equipment. my agent is tough to get a hold of and thought you all might be able to give me a ballpark. is it really painful?:dizzy:

Scag48
04-18-2011, 10:11 PM
As soon as you mention "excavation" to an insurance agent, dollars start flying. Landscaping and excavation coverage are different, I think my old man was paying about $2-3K a year for $2 million in GL coverage for landscaping. When his policy included excavation coverage, his premium doubled.

Also, if your agent won't work for you when you need them, go elsewhere. It's a buyer's market with insurance right now, make them work for your money.

excav8ter
04-18-2011, 10:41 PM
Tell him its for "grading" instead of excavating. If your are digging trenches it is much more costly for GL than if you are just doing grading work. I am just going through this my self. Because I dig trenches for utilities as well as digging basements, I can't be classified as a "grading" contractor.