PDA

View Full Version : Best way to collect $$ ?

joshman108
04-18-2011, 05:41 PM
Hi Im in highschool and i started cutting grass last year. Things have gone well and I am completely handing my work over to other people and am simply managing.
Here's my dilemma.

I used to simply pick up the money when I came (which is strange that the people always happened to be home) But now I cant do that since I am not going to be cutting. So how do you collect money? Some of my people know how to bill through their bank so it comes automatically, but most dont. Do they just mail me a check personally? See, I don't know how this automatic billing works, so I don't know how to explain it. Maybe someone could help me out with that.

Also, do you collect money monthly? weekly? Bi-weekly?

How do you collect your money?

Im slightly apprehensive (but still super pumped) about switching to the manager position and not the worker position. Thanks so much!

weeze
04-18-2011, 06:11 PM
you could always mail them a bill each month. you will find that different people like to pay in different ways. alot pay me in person and others leave a check under the mat yet some others prefer a bill.

TuffWork
04-18-2011, 06:19 PM
On days I don't go mow I have the guys pick up the money from the customer or have the customer leave it under the door mat, etc. If they don't get money from them I have them leave an invoice with my address on it.

alexschultz1
04-18-2011, 06:22 PM
do yourself a favor and get your clients on a yearly contract, bill at the beginning of the month, mail them a bill, and they will mail it back, if they dont pay within 30 days send them a late fee. if its an odd job then leave an invoice which is to be paid off within 30 days

bmac1996acc
04-18-2011, 06:28 PM
Monthly billing is easier to me after I got more customers. I do get annoyed at the customer that I mail a bill with a return envelope and she still expects me to come get the payment from under the mat. Granted we live in the same neighborhood but EVERY other customer in my neighborhood drops it by my house or mails it.

JFGauvreau
04-18-2011, 06:36 PM
I always have my receipts book in my truck, if the customer is not there, I leave it under the mat or in the mail box. Just make sure to keep track of who paid you and who didn't.

bmac1996acc
04-18-2011, 07:12 PM
I use Quickbooks to keep up with who owes what. At the end of every day I enter work completed and mileage into Quickbooks. I create one invoice for each customer per month and add to it as I complete work throughout the month. As payments come in I enter them into Quickbooks too. Then I can look at my accounts receivable to see who owes money.

joshman108
04-18-2011, 07:20 PM
Ok so when you talk about sending a monthly billing how exactly does that work? :hammerhead: thanks

bmac1996acc
04-18-2011, 08:06 PM
I print out the invoice I've been adding to all month on the 1st of the following month. On May 1st I'll send out an invoice for all of the work I did in April. If there was anything not paid for during the previous billing cycle (March in this example), I'll also include a statement showing the previous unpaid balance with the current months invoice.

I'm still pretty small. I only have around 30 regular mowing customers and then a few that need random work. I may change how I do things as my customer base grows but it works pretty well for me right now.

lawnrangeralaska
04-18-2011, 08:10 PM
i use groundskeeper pro
love it. i was in the same boat as you. now i have 5 mowing crews

weeze
04-18-2011, 11:54 PM
you can buy invoice books at walmart, staples, and various places...just send them a bill in the mail for how much they owe and write on there make check payable to: (your name) and mail to: (your address)

Southern Pride
04-19-2011, 12:18 AM
Yeah im still pretty small too 30 regular accounts but I find everyone wants something different. Some pay me weekly, bi weekly or monthly. Some leave it under mat, pay me while I'm there, or want me to send a bill. Eventually I will just print out invoices for everyone and begin mailing them all. As of right now it's not very crucial.