PDA

View Full Version : price for hand edging beds?

alexschultz1
04-18-2011, 07:24 PM
what do you guys charge per foot of bed that needs to be edged? i need to estimate a job with a ton of beds that they want edged.

alexschultz1
04-18-2011, 11:25 PM
bump, someone has to have some input

Get Some...
04-18-2011, 11:28 PM
Go hand edge a bed for fifteen minute's, measure the length you did.
X4= what you can do in one hour.

P.Services
04-18-2011, 11:39 PM
i charge a dollar a foot. Yes its alot of $ because its a lot of work if done right.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
04-18-2011, 11:55 PM
I use to charge dollar a foot When I done them by hand now I charge hour rate I use a Turf Teq

SouthernDelight
04-19-2011, 01:27 AM
Depends on the ground. If its relatively easy, $1.00 a foot. If not, price accordingly.

ashgrove landscaping
04-19-2011, 02:08 AM
Price by your labor wage.

topsites
04-19-2011, 08:58 AM
Well, I tell you...

It's the same thing with stump grinding, a side-line of mine, it sure would be nice if I had a per diameter inch formula but why
it doesn't work with every stump, just like grass cutting, if there were only a one-size fits all formula but oddly enough and no,
sorry Charlie, and you can certainly test me on this but apparently things just don't work out that way.

So we can give you all sorts of pricing basics and formulas, but I speak from experience when I say that in the end you
will have to run into that thing where you can just look at a job and say how much it will cost and not because of magic
foot-per-hour formulas, but because you know what it takes to get the job done, and the reason you know why is
because you have done so many that you just know these things and can't nobody tell it better.

Unfortunately...
For that to happen one apparently has to bite the bullet on the first few, you take your best shot knowing
you might lose out either money or customer-wise but that in the long run hopefully you'll do all right.

That's the best I can tell you, and good luck

ReddensLawnCare
04-19-2011, 10:50 AM
Rent a bed edger. It will make you very happy and you can get a ton of yards knocked out in no time!

SouthernDelight
04-19-2011, 11:15 AM
By the hour? You would kill yourself. By the linear foot. Tried and true.

nobagger
04-19-2011, 11:41 AM
In my experience, customer's are only willing to pay so much for edging. If you have a customer with 1000ft of bed edges I doubt their going to pay 1k. Yes I understand its hard work either by hand or machine but when there are machines out there that cut labor cost by sometimes 75% hand edging just seems ridiculous. We have a LittleWonder Bed Shaper and it would cut a 1000ft of edges in just over 15 minutes (plus clean up). I wish we could make 1k in 15 minutes but..... Point is if you have that much edging either rent or find someone with a edging machine to sub it out to. If your dead set on hand edging it do it like someone else said "edge for 15 minutes then x's by 4 to get an hourly rate". If you can get a machine in there charge like we do. We charge 100 bucks just for the machine to show up and a per man hour rate.

Turf Teq
04-19-2011, 04:40 PM
I use to charge dollar a foot When I done them by hand now I charge hour rate I use a Turf Teq

Mind me asking how much you charge for your hourly rate if your edging with one or our machines. People call in to ask me this all the time, since they're not used to being able to edge at such a fast rate.

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
04-19-2011, 05:57 PM
1.10 per foot works for us. Deep and crisp with edging removed. Good luck
Posted via Mobile Device

alexschultz1
04-20-2011, 12:53 PM
how much do you charge per hour for edging with a bed edger after they pay the initial $100

Runner
04-20-2011, 01:32 PM
When it is done by hand (small areas), it is done by the hour. you have to figure in soft soil to hard clay, stones, rocks, etc., roots, etc..

weeze
04-20-2011, 02:48 PM
i can't believe so many yards i see on here have bed edging. every house down here in the south that i have seen has some type of border around the beds like stone, brick, plastic, metal, or rocks. just seems like an easier way to do it.

Think Green
04-20-2011, 05:22 PM
Well, I tell you...

It's the same thing with stump grinding, a side-line of mine, it sure would be nice if I had a per diameter inch formula but why
it doesn't work with every stump, just like grass cutting, if there were only a one-size fits all formula but oddly enough and no,
sorry Charlie, and you can certainly test me on this but apparently things just don't work out that way.

So we can give you all sorts of pricing basics and formulas, but I speak from experience when I say that in the end you
will have to run into that thing where you can just look at a job and say how much it will cost and not because of magic
foot-per-hour formulas, but because you know what it takes to get the job done, and the reason you know why is
because you have done so many that you just know these things and can't nobody tell it better.

Unfortunately...
For that to happen one apparently has to bite the bullet on the first few, you take your best shot knowing
you might lose out either money or customer-wise but that in the long run hopefully you'll do all right.

That's the best I can tell you, and good luck

Amen!!! Spoken by another well work professional!

I charge over a dollar a foot because I work in new upper scale neighborhoods where gravel pits used to be. So there you go!!

Think Green
04-20-2011, 05:28 PM
Jason,
Their is some that still does the old fashion way of raised bed work.
I am one who designs in stones rather than steel anymore. It is so tacky and looks basic!
I really hate to view a 350,000.oo home with 2500.00 landscaping and edging.
I was taught from the old adage of the landscape needs to be 10-15% of the home worth.

zap15101
04-22-2011, 08:50 AM
.80 cents per foot plus dumping fe for clippings